All your ATI updates discussion thread (are belong to us?)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:30 PM

I'll buy whichever card is faster.

Also, if ATI offers a Mac X800 with an ADC port, I'm sold. The last thing I want is a power brick and DVI/ADCadapter under my desk.

#42 Ignignokt

Ignignokt

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:13 AM

You do know that Apple supplies a DVI to S-Video/Composite adapter for Radeon 9600 Pro/XT and 9800 Pro/XT cards right? You also know that when you plug these adapters into the cards it unlocks the Mac2TV panel in the ATI displays panel, right? Way to fly off the handle.

Al

Well, that doesn't seem to be the case with my installation (and multiple re-installations) of ATI Displays 4.4 (full version is listed as 4.4.0b12).  Whether I startup with the Apple DVI->TV adapter plugged in or hot-plug it, Mac2TV never shows up in the app.  The TV-out feature still works as it always did, but it would be nice to have control over sharpness, placement, etc.  

I've run repair permissions, reinstalled over it, deleted the new ATI Displays and ATITVOut.kext and reinstalled, and deleted all my prefs related to ATI.  Nothing's fixed it.  Any help/suggestions would be great.

Running Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7M34), G5 Dual 2GHz rev.1, OEM Radeon 9800 Pro, Apple DVI->TV connected via s-video (also tried composite video), ATI Displays 4.4.0b12, ATITVOut.kext 2.5.2.

#43 Malus121

Malus121

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

I was going to wait for the ATI X800 on the Mac but will likely buy the Nvidia card because it does spank the X800 on PC's and there IS a correlation with how well either card runs on Mac games.
No, there isn't. Let me break it down for everyone who thinks that is true.

Mac OS X != Windows XP
PowerPC != Intel/AMD
Mac drivers != Windows drivers

Can it be any more clear than that? Two completely different platforms in terms of hardware and software. There are far too many variables to even begin to suggest any sort of performance parity. On the PC, ATI's OpenGL ICD have been criticized, while NVIDIA's excels. On the Mac Apple writes the OpenGL engine and ATI and NVIDIA's drivers hook into it.

Show me a single example that proves otherwise.
Impossible. The 6800 has not shipped to anyone and no one knows if there will be a Mac X800 card. Also, I am not the one claiming performance parity between the two platforms, so you should be the one trying to prove your claim. Good luck.
I never claimed Parity with PC Graphics card performance and I dont think this guy meant to either.  All we're saying is that you can get a GENERAL(READ GENERAL NOT EXACT) idea of what kind of performance a card can provide on the mac by looking at the PC Benchmarks.  I dont think there's anyone here who doubts how different the Mac and PC platforms are  in some regards, but that doesn't mean PC Benchmarks are COMPLETELY irrelevent.
Now if you can show me a case where the performance of a graphics card on the PC is drastically different from the SAME card on a similer speced Mac by all means, post away....
27" iMac, 2.8Ghz Quad Core i5, 8GB of ram, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M w/ 512 Vram
13" Macbook Air, 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram, 128GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 320M

Playstation Vita (JP 3G Model), 8GB Memory Card, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Daze, Tales of Innocence R
Playstation 3 (Lots of games..)
27" iMac..... Awesome
Playstation Vita = Amazing

#44 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:06 AM

If the ATi card comes out sooner, costs less, and has ADC support, I'll buy it.

Also, you can use ATIcellerator, of which there's no Nvidia equivalent.

#45 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:26 AM

Also, if ATI offers a Mac X800 with an ADC port, I'm sold. The last thing I want is a power brick and DVI/ADCadapter under my desk.
Amen! I've already got the DVI/ADC adapter for my 9800 retail, and I'd just as soon get rid of it.

I've written ATI an email encouraging them to include an ADC port on any retail x800 they might release. An ADC/DVI adapter is a lot cheaper than the other way around; heck, they could include one with the card as an accessory! And I don't think they should try to compete with the dual dual-DVIs on the nVidia. They are impressive, true; but honestly, how many people are really going to connect two 30 inch monitors to their Mac? How many people have that much room on their desk?!

You might consider also sending them a mail asking for an ADC connector. Many voices asking for the same thing might well have an effect on what they eventually end up releasing...

#46 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:30 PM

Amen! I've already got the DVI/ADC adapter for my 9800 retail, and I'd just as soon get rid of it.

I've written ATI an email encouraging them to include an ADC port on any retail x800 they might release. An ADC/DVI adapter is a lot cheaper than the other way around; heck, they could include one with the card as an accessory! And I don't think they should try to compete with the dual dual-DVIs on the nVidia. They are impressive, true; but honestly, how many people are really going to connect two 30 inch monitors to their Mac? How many people have that much room on their desk?!

You might consider also sending them a mail asking for an ADC connector. Many voices asking for the same thing might well have an effect on what they eventually end up releasing...
I have an idea - we can decide who buys the Nvidia and your card, and who buys the X800! If you want to get rid of that thing, sell it to me!

We'll all have to see the benchmarks.

#47 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:56 PM

I have an idea - we can decide who buys the Nvidia and your card, and who buys the X800! If you want to get rid of that thing, sell it to me!

Hmm, interesting idea. Except I was thinking of waiting to see those benchmarks before I decided on an upgrade (though I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the ATI card).

You do understand any purchase of my used 9800 would included shipping costs from Japan?  :wink:

#48 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

Hmm, interesting idea. Except I was thinking of waiting to see those benchmarks before I decided on an upgrade (though I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the ATI card).

You do understand any purchase of my used 9800 would included shipping costs from Japan?  :wink:
No, I don't want your old 9800...I'd want your DVI/ADC converter to run my 6800.

#49 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:19 AM

No, I don't want your old 9800...I'd want your DVI/ADC converter to run my 6800.
Hmm. Since the DVI/ADC converter not only looks like a brick but weighs like one too, my comment regarding shipping costs still applies, in spades.  8)

(Er, that's shades, not spades.)

Heck, if I could get my hands on an X800 Mac Edition with ADC connectors sometime next week, I'd gladly sell you my DVI/ADC power brick. Assuming you couldn't get a new one for less than the cost of shipping from Japan, that is! :lol:

But ... wasn't it you who wrote the following?

The last thing I want is a power brick and DVI/ADCadapter under my desk.
Is it now the second thing you want (the first being a 6800)?  :wink:

#50 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:59 PM

Hmm. Since the DVI/ADC converter not only looks like a brick but weighs like one too, my comment regarding shipping costs still applies, in spades.  8)

(Er, that's shades, not spades.)

Heck, if I could get my hands on an X800 Mac Edition with ADC connectors sometime next week, I'd gladly sell you my DVI/ADC power brick. Assuming you couldn't get a new one for less than the cost of shipping from Japan, that is! :lol:

But ... wasn't it you who wrote the following?

The last thing I want is a power brick and DVI/ADCadapter under my desk.
Is it now the second thing you want (the first being a 6800)?  :wink:
Well, my main qualm about the power brick was not its size and ugly looks (although that's part of it), but rather the extra $100 it would add to my GPU purchase.

BTW, it almost sounds like you have inside info about the X800...care to explain? ;)

#51 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:34 PM

BTW, it almost sounds like you have inside info about the X800...care to explain? ;)
Oh, good heavens no, I didn't mean to imply any such thing!

I was being ironic. My point was that since we're not likely to get an X800 for the Mac anywhere near as soon as next week (because ATI would have to have already announced the product at this point for that to be true), and because you could conceivably order a 6800 and have it pretty soon (of course that is relative given the delays we've seen from Apple), you would probably want the adapter before I could send it to you.

...Or I'd be stuck staring at a blank 23" Cinema Display.  :o

#52 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:48 AM

Oh, good heavens no, I didn't mean to imply any such thing!

I was being ironic. My point was that since we're not likely to get an X800 for the Mac anywhere near as soon as next week (because ATI would have to have already announced the product at this point for that to be true), and because you could conceivably order a 6800 and have it pretty soon (of course that is relative given the delays we've seen from Apple), you would probably want the adapter before I could send it to you.

...Or I'd be stuck staring at a blank 23" Cinema Display.  :o
Heh, I know you don't have inside info (and I saw that irony), but I was just pulling your rope anyways. ;)

Oh, and that blank Cinema display - It's called a zen Cinema Display.

#53 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:56 AM

Heh, I know you don't have inside info (and I saw that irony), but I was just pulling your rope anyways. ;)
Oh, is that what you meant by the wink? Okay...

...So if you really thought I had inside info, you'd a given me two winks? ;) ;)

Oh, and that blank Cinema display - It's called a zen Cinema Display.
Ah, right! So I can gaze at it, deep in meditation, while listening to my Nirvana CD that isn't in the disc drive.

...And when my clients ask me why my work isn't done, I'll tell them I've transcended such mundane concerns. :roll: Would that I could.

#54 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Speaking of winks, it doesn't seem that they're appearing when I do this: ;)

You have to type in :wink:

#55 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

I applied the Oct Rom update and I experienced a black blank screen on waking from sleep twice so far and my only solution is to press the power button on the monitor to turn it off and press power to turn it on and I'll get back my screen with the desktop.

I only installed the Oct Rom update and not the ATI Displays 4.4.

My monitor is an analog LCD, the Hyundai ImageQuest L70S. It's 17 inches, max res. 1280x1024 (75Hz refresh rate) and 16 ms response rate.

I got it at Fry's for $279.99. (Fry's has in at their online site outpost.com).

I anyone experience this as well with the same Hyundai LCD Monitor as me?

My system has never been the same since I installed the Sept Rom Update and reverted back to older versions and then to Oct Rom Update.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#56 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:37 PM

Have you tried another monitor? Maybe reverting back to the previous ROM version?
I live in Mexifornia.

#57 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:53 PM

The thing is that It has happened only twice with today being the second time.  After the Sept Rom Update, I reverted to version 120 but was experiencing freezing twice with the game sound repeating in a loop in LOTR:Return of the King and UT2K3, so I installed the Oct Rom Update and haven't experienced freezes on those games since (knocking on wood).  The first time I experienced the black screen was with rom version 120 a few weeks ago.

Ever since I installed the Sept Rom in the past, my video card was never the same again despite reverting to an older rom version.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac

#58 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:06 PM

A different monitor? Reset the PRAM? Reset the mobo?
I live in Mexifornia.

#59 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:28 AM

I zapped the pram and  reset the nvram. But the blank screen on wake doesn't occur much, just that today was the second time, I don't know when it's gonna hit so it hard to get ready and hook it up and test it on another monitor.  The annoying problem that I tested occurs also on my 15 inch CRT monitor as well as my LCD is the desktop screen appearing on waking up from sleep, then turn black then blue and then the desktop screen finally reappearing (Which I mentioned about in some posts here in the past).

No I didn't reset my mobo, I don't think it is going to help, and I don't want to fiddle with the CUDA button as it could destroy the mobo.

To sum it up, I'm probably screwed. I never had these wierd problems with my Radeon 9800 til I ran the Sept Rom Update and since then my vid card was never the same, I'm hoping maybe ATI will release an Rom Update to address my problem, but that's probably asking for too much.

#60 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:01 AM

Have you contacted ATI regarding your problem?  If you don't contact them, there's no guarantee they'll know you're having a problem.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM