All your ATI updates discussion thread (are belong to us?)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:14 PM

You do know that Apple supplies a DVI to S-Video/Composite adapter for Radeon 9600 Pro/XT and 9800 Pro/XT cards right? You also know that when you plug these adapters into the cards it unlocks the Mac2TV panel in the ATI displays panel, right? Way to fly off the handle.

Al
Now that's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing it out Drunk_caterpillar.

I don't know why that's embarrassing--you're missing the point.  This guy expected the Mac2TV capability to magically become available without having the appropriate hardware!  Obviously, it would be embarrassing if he said that he had the adapter and that the new CP didn't enable that feature for him, but that's not the case here.   :roll:
How quickly we forget. Quicksilver, here's an exact quote of what you said on the first page:

Allright, both of these guys have Radeon 9600 Pros, and they both seem to think that this update will enable Mac2TV for them.  Mac2TV requires a Radeon 9800 Pro retail or later with the S-Video out port--somehow these geniuses must've thought that a software update could magically solder a port onto their cards, and that nVidia is better because it apparently has a TV output.
Drunk_caterpillar pointed out correctly that ATI Displays 4.4 does enable Mac2TV for them. You need to have the DVI-to-S-video adapter to expose this feature, otherwise, you will see nothing in ATI Displays. Mac2TV does not require a "Radeon 9800 Pro retail or later". First of all, the original Radeon AGP, Radeon PCI, Radeon 7000 PCI, and Radeon 8500 all have S-video out. Secondly, Drunk_caterpillar again pointed out that the correct adapter must be connected.

You should not be so quick to pound your chest and proclaim from the mountain tops that you are beta testing for ATI, especially if you are not clear on the features that ATI is providing. We should be providing accurate information to people in discussion forums, so as not to confuse them further. If you're not sure about something, please ask a fellow beta tester before posting.
I live in Mexifornia.

#22 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:05 PM

I ran the Sept 2004 Rom updater for my retail radeon 9800 and when the updater finished, there was a window that said that it was recommended that I restart to for changes to take effect with a "close" button (I think). I clicked it. And the remaining window said if I wanted to do further installations to click the "continue" button or click the "quit" button to quit. I then clicked "quit"

Then safari launched with the sept 2004 readme. I read it and quit. And I restarted manually from the Apple Menu.  Then readme said that after the Rom updater updated the radeon, it would restart automatically.  But it didn't for me, I have to manually restart it.  Is this normal? Have I screwed up my Radeon 9800?  What version rom, fcode and ndrv do you guys have listed in the ati control panel, under profile?

a2daj? Lucian? Somebody? Please help confirm whether overload and I updated our radeon 9800 rom correctly :cry:

EDIT: Was the Rom updater suppose to prompt us for a reboot with a window with a "restart" button and automatically close the "rom sept update readme" (which auto-launched after the update) ?  

Because the readme said that when the update is finished the readme screen will close and we would see a window prompting us for a restart with a "restart" button on that window (I think).
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#23 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:07 PM

Ah, you're right---I did leave out the adapter part, and thanks for the reminder about the earlier Radeons!  I don't recall the fact that all of the older Radeons had S-Video out, but I'll take your word for it!   :smile:  I stand corrected!

However, I don't appreciate the way you just attacked me and accused me of bragging about being an ATI beta tester.   I just reread my original post, and I don't see where I said that I'm anything better than a rank-and-file guy who just got lucky and was picked from the IMG forum to help out ATI (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Finally, I tried to give correct information, knowing that if I got anything wrong, you and a2daj and the others would be there to correct me.  So, it worked!  Next time just PM me and I'll edit my post so that this doesn't happen.     :roll:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#24 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:09 PM

a2daj? Lucian? Somebody? Please help confirm whether overload and I updated our radeon 9800 rom correctly :cry:

You're correct about the ROM updater--it does tell you that you need to restart and that the application won't do it for you.  I'll try to check on what the ROM numbers should be (unless someone else knows off the top of their head).  In the meantime, you could always run the updater again--it's not going to hurt anything.  If the numbers don't change, you probably did it right the first time!
InsideMacGames.com

#25 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for replying QuicksilverG4 :razz:

I feel a sense of relief that I didn't screw up my video card!

I think I read somewhere in this forum that you have a PowerMac G5, so
do you have the 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro or the 256mb Radeon 9800 Pro SE? 'Cause I'm thinking maybe they might have different rom version numbers.

I ran it twice yesterday and the info is the same I think.

And also thanks to Overload for his reply earlier in the day
:razz:
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac

#26 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, I have a Rev. B Dual 2.0 GHz G5 with a Radeon 9800XT, but my old MDD G4 had a Radeon 9800 Retail.  I don't have that old MDD G4 anymore, so I don't think I can help you out with my current ROM number (plus, it's a beta anyway).  

According to Stuka, you should have ROM #: 113-A07525-130

I'll let you know if I get anything else.
InsideMacGames.com

#27 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

The ROM update allows for an Easy Install and a Custom Install.  If you select Custom Install you will see 2 or 3 available ROMs for each card.  The higher number ROM per card is the latest ROM (also denoted by "Latest" next to the number).  If you open up the ATI Displays or even System Profiler, you'll see the ROM string which may look something like:

113-A12345-106

The last 3 digits should match up with one of the 3 digit ROM versions in the ROM update Custom Install.  Just compare the strings and you can tell what version your ROM is using.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#28 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:33 PM

Thanks guys :-D

My Rom# matches Stuka's.

#29 TwistedMelon

TwistedMelon

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:10 PM

Glad to know people are liking the new ATI Displays and ROM updates.  You can thank a bunch of the regular posters here for helping to test this stuff.  Over and over again.  And then a few more times and a couple more times after that. ;)

Nothing's ever 100% perfect for everyone's specific system configuration, so if you have any problems, please post about them.  I don't have the time to follow the threads in here closely nor often, but I'm sure at least one of these fine folks I mentioned above will bring the issue to my attention (if they don't all!)

I would have loved to have support for PowerBooks and iBooks with Mac2TV controls in ATI Displays (I have a PB now of my own) but unfortunately it's not possible.  The notebooks use a very different mechanism for TV controls.  Though Apple have a few TV-specific features in their own Display prefs.  One of the most important being Overscan (nice for watching DVDs or making presentations).  And you can easily use Colorsync to profile and adjust the output of your TV to suit your need/mood.

Bruno

#30 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:08 PM

And also thanks to Overload for his reply earlier in the day
:razz:
You're welcome!

If you open up the ATI Displays or even System Profiler, you'll see the ROM string which may look something like:

113-A12345-106

The last 3 digits should match up with one of the 3 digit ROM versions in the ROM update Custom Install.
Oh, so that's the string I should be looking at. Okay, I have a 130 too. Thanks, a2daj!

I would have loved to have support for PowerBooks and iBooks with Mac2TV controls in ATI Displays (I have a PB now of my own) but unfortunately it's not possible.
But it's nice that the 3D Overrides work, anyway. I never thought of installing ATI Displays in my AlBook. I'll have to try it out!

#31 landru

landru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

Before anyone else goes bonkers trying to figure this out, the preferences for WCIII The Frozen Throne are actually governed by the preferences for WCIII Reign of Chaos. I imagine this is the same for other applications where the application basically just runs calls another application with some switches.

Not that I would ever get confused by this...  :roll:

#32 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

"If the X800 is ever announced for the Mac, it would ABSOLUTELY SPANK EVERYTHING NVIDIA currently has out on the Mac market."
Well, you'd be wrong. Except if you mean 'because the 6800 isn't shipping yet, it would kick everything, but then when the 6800 started shipping, it would get its ass kicked"

Seriously, we all know that the 6800 is a faster card, at least in OGL.

#33 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:45 PM

"If the X800 is ever announced for the Mac, it would ABSOLUTELY SPANK EVERYTHING NVIDIA currently has out on the Mac market."
Well, you'd be wrong. Except if you mean 'because the 6800 isn't shipping yet, it would kick everything, but then when the 6800 started shipping, it would get its ass kicked"

Seriously, we all know that the 6800 is a faster card, at least in OGL.

We don't know popsnizzle about any of the cards on the mac... well besides that one is coming, and one might or might not be coming... but we can't say anything about the performance until (and if) both cards are available for Mac. yes, on PC, the 6800 is faster in OpenGL, but otherwise the x800 is faster... what says that ATI would work more on the OpenGL aspect on a Mac version?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#34 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:42 PM

Well, you'd be wrong.
Heh.
I live in Mexifornia.

#35 Drunk_caterpillar

Drunk_caterpillar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

How about this:

"If the X800 is ever announced for the Mac, it would BE ROUGHLY EQUIVALENT TO EVERYTHING NVIDIA currently has out on the Mac market."

Fixed?

Fixed.

Al

#36 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:51 AM

Did anyone read what I posted? That quote was an attempt to sarcastically mock what the poster before me said. There is no attempt at truth in the quote so stop treating it as such.

Edit: Quoted for emphasis:

Funny, because I could say, "If the X800 is ever announced for the Mac, it would ABSOLUTELY SPANK EVERYTHING NVIDIA currently has out on the Mac market."
Reading comprehension++;
I live in Mexifornia.

#37 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:13 AM

I have actually seen people with flashed PC cards complaining the update won't work!

#38 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:16 AM

I was going to wait for the ATI X800 on the Mac but will likely buy the Nvidia card because it does spank the X800 on PC's and there IS a correlation with how well either card runs on Mac games.  Show me a single example that proves otherwise.

I was trying to emphasize that it is unfair to make comparisons between a product that hasn't shipped (6800) with a product that exists (9800). It's ridiculous how you continue to compare two products that don't exist on the Mac (6800 and X800).  You are basing your "spanking" comments purely on PC benchmarks, which is very ignorant on your part because the Mac and PC are entirely different platforms. Forgive me for pointing out such an obvious fact, but every time a Mac user uses PC benchmarks as a basis for his argument, that point must be reiterated.[/quote]

#39 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:18 AM

You are not doing a very good job of representing ATI with your attitude.  If I were them I would pull you from the beta test list.

You do know that Apple supplies a DVI to S-Video/Composite adapter for Radeon 9600 Pro/XT and 9800 Pro/XT cards right? You also know that when you plug these adapters into the cards it unlocks the Mac2TV panel in the ATI displays panel, right? Way to fly off the handle.

Al
Now that's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing it out Drunk_caterpillar.

I don't know why that's embarrassing--you're missing the point.  This guy expected the Mac2TV capability to magically become available without having the appropriate hardware!  Obviously, it would be embarrassing if he said that he had the adapter and that the new CP didn't enable that feature for him, but that's not the case here.   :roll:

#40 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:37 PM

I was going to wait for the ATI X800 on the Mac but will likely buy the Nvidia card because it does spank the X800 on PC's and there IS a correlation with how well either card runs on Mac games.
No, there isn't. Let me break it down for everyone who thinks that is true.

Mac OS X != Windows XP
PowerPC != Intel/AMD
Mac drivers != Windows drivers

Can it be any more clear than that? Two completely different platforms in terms of hardware and software. There are far too many variables to even begin to suggest any sort of performance parity. On the PC, ATI's OpenGL ICD have been criticized, while NVIDIA's excels. On the Mac Apple writes the OpenGL engine and ATI and NVIDIA's drivers hook into it.

Show me a single example that proves otherwise.
Impossible. The 6800 has not shipped to anyone and no one knows if there will be a Mac X800 card. Also, I am not the one claiming performance parity between the two platforms, so you should be the one trying to prove your claim. Good luck.
I live in Mexifornia.