Simcity 4 1.02 + G5 + 10.3.5 = Crash crash crash!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Pie Man

The Pie Man

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:06 PM

So I just dusted off my copy of SimCity 4 as I have a bit of time to kill before the next round of games come out that I am itching for.  The last time I played it was on a Rev A 12" Powerbook,  and it did remarkably well on that machine I thought.

Performance doesn't really seem any better on my Dual 2Gig G5 with 3.5 gigs of RAM,  which is surprising,  but that isn't my main issue.  The problem is the stupid game crashes all the freaking time.   It seems to be completely random - I have gone hours with no crash,  and just a minute ago I fired it up and started playing and I crashed within 2 minutes.

This is a fresh install of SimCity 4 which was updated to 1.02 immediately.  I am running 10.3.5.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 druganov

druganov

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

I have had the same problem on a G5 with similar specs. It seems to happen most often when zooming between level 3 and 2. However, it crashes when I just scroll around (or think bad thoughts about my little sims when they get upset over my slumlord tactics...). I did contact Aspyr's usually excellent support but, I have the distinct feeling they are fobbing off any SimCity 4 problems hoping that Rush Hour fixes them (as it seems to have happened on the PC side). What really annoyed me was the first response from Aspyr said to make sure the latest patch was installed when that was included right in the crash log I sent...

I guess we will have to wait and see what Rush Hour does.

#3 The Pie Man

The Pie Man

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

I am now starting to wonder if my video card might not be overheating.  I just installed NWN and tried it,  and within 2 minutes the screens starts to get this red and green static,  which gets progressively worse until the screen goes black...

:cry:

#4 Sudoer

Sudoer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hopefully Rush Hour will fix all of these issues.  I have a similar problem on my G5.  I just save often.  It mostly occurs when I use the mouse wheel to zoom.

#5 mabou1

mabou1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:40 AM

Hi all,
I have the same problems to the letter with the same machine (G5-2000MP).

I have noticed the  crash while using the scroll wheel as well, but I MOSTLY see the problem when I am "underground" laying water pipe.

Random crash anywhere from two minutes to two hours after I start playing.  It might be my imagination, but it seems like I crash less if I save constantly.  Maybe a buffer or memory management problem that is sidelined a bit by saving to disk?  I dunno.

Anyway, I also got the same reply from Aspyr, install the update (even though I sent them the crash log with the update listed).

Oh well, good luck to us all....