KOTOR System Requirements...

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 dfjdejulio

dfjdejulio

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:02 PM

Using the ATI OpenGL overrides thingy to crank up performance at the expense of visual quality did help.  Seems like quite a bit.  But, it's still nowhere near up to the level of performance of the basic XBox version.

Is there some hack or something I can use to tell the game to fall back down to 640x480 resolution?  Maybe that'd help even more.

#42 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:11 PM

Using the ATI OpenGL overrides thingy to crank up performance at the expense of visual quality did help.  Seems like quite a bit.  But, it's still nowhere near up to the level of performance of the basic XBox version.

If you dropped a GeForce 3Ti in there, you'd see performance very similar to the xbox version. The weak vertex shader support of the Radeon 9000 is what's hurting you most of all. You are running 10.3.4 or later, right?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#43 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

If you dropped a GeForce 3Ti in there, you'd see performance very similar to the xbox version. The weak vertex shader support of the Radeon 9000 is what's hurting you most of all. You are running 10.3.4 or later, right?

Radeon 9000, weak vertex shader support...

My copy of KotOR is setting on my front porch, awaiting my arrival from work. But my Mac has a Radeon 9000 in it. Weak vertex shader support... Man I'm going to be annoyed if this thing doesn't live up to expectations.

My Radeon 9000 has more than 32 MB of VRAM and is more powerful than a Radeon 8500 (I think) or a nVidia gForce 2MX.

Maybe it'll be time to go shopping for a new video card. Does anyone know of any places that offer a good deal on better video card?

Matt

#44 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:29 PM

I've been trying to figure out a decent < $200 card, but the best bet so far seems to be finding something on ebay. Well, we other 9000 Pro (64 Megs!) users will be awaiting your report, MadMatt.

(has anyone seen this game in stores yet? I foolishly didn't preorder it)
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#45 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:49 PM

My Radeon 9000 has more than 32 MB of VRAM and is more powerful than a Radeon 8500 (I think) or a nVidia gForce 2MX.

The amount of VRAM you have isn't really the big issue here - the r200 class cards (including the 8500, the 9000 and 9200) have a limit on the amount of vertex shader instructions they support in hardware - 128. KOTOR has quite a few vertex shaders that are more complex than this, so it falls down to a software-emulated vertex shader path, which makes your CPU work just that much more.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#46 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

Well, we other 9000 Pro (64 Megs!) users will be awaiting your report, MadMatt.

For this class of card, the CPU speed is going to be important. If you're borderline (close to the 1GHz min), then you'll be in worse shape. It runs great on a 2.0 GHz G5 with an 8500 in it, for example. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#47 preyingmantis36

preyingmantis36

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:09 PM

Any idea how it might run on a 1.8 Ghz iMac G5? Obviously, the more RAM the better, but aside from that....

#48 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:46 PM

Well, we other 9000 Pro (64 Megs!) users will be awaiting your report, MadMatt.

For this class of card, the CPU speed is going to be important. If you're borderline (close to the 1GHz min), then you'll be in worse shape. It runs great on a 2.0 GHz G5 with an 8500 in it, for example. ;)

Okay. I hope my CPU upgrade (currenty running at 1.47 GHz) holds up.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#49 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

Any idea how it might run on a 1.8 Ghz iMac G5?

If you've got a Rage 128 or GeForce 2MX strapped in there, not well at all. ;)

However, I think the G5s shipped with excellent video cards (9700s, right?), so I imagine it'll run great.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#50 Bark

Bark

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

I think the G5s shipped with excellent video cards (9700s, right?),

the single processor 1.8 Ghz shipped with FX 5200's.  Adequate card and will probably play KOTOR very well - I look forward to finding out when it arrives.

#51 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:06 AM

I got my copy of KotOR today, and since my G5 is on service the first thing I did was installing the game on my Dual 867MHz G4 with a Radeon 9000 Pro and a Gig of RAM...

...and let us put it this way: do not expect a smooth experience on such a machine.

With all settings as low as I could get them I doubt I got over 15FPS a single time, most of the time it was probably below 10. And this is in the close quarters where the game begins... I fear how bad it would be at larger areas.

I scrapped the idea of ever playing that game on my poor MDD... I'm installing it on my PowerBook 1.33GHz with a Radeon 9700 Mobility at work right now (Don't tell anybody ;P ). Hopefully that will be a lot better.

Damn that G5. I want it back.

[Update:] The game is very much playable on the PowerBook at low to mid settings. Now I really can't wait to see how beautiful it will become on the G5. The game is gorgeous as it is now...
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions.†Aim higher.†Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#52 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:05 AM

I'm installing KotOR on my MDD dual 1 GHz machine with a Radeon 9000 as we speak. I'm hoping that the extra processor speed will be enough to make the game playable for me.

If not, then I'll be shopping for a new video card. I just checked ebay, and it looks as if the only thing that is selling there is the same Radeon 9000 that I'm going to be wanting to be getting rid of after buying something better.

Wish me luck.

Matt

#53 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:34 AM

Iíve installed KotOR on my machine and it works fine so far.

MDD machine (i.e. A wind tunnel)
Dual 1 Ghz G4
Radeon 9000 w/64 MB VRAM
768 MB RAM

I havenít tweaked any settings and the game is quite playable. I donít know how to check the frame rate, so I canít tell you exactly what ďquite playableĒ means as far as frame rate. But it is good enough for me.

And many thanks to Brad for the work on the port and the fact that you visit the forum and respond to questions and comments.

Mad Matt

#54 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

I got my copy of KotOR today, and since my G5 is on service the first thing I did was installing the game on my Dual 867MHz G4 with a Radeon 9000 Pro and a Gig of RAM...
If you have access to a GeForce 3Ti or 4Ti, you can improve performance over the Radeon 9000 on that setup, enough to where you'd probably be happy with it. I tested the game on a 800MHz G4 with a 3Ti and it ran pretty good. Not surprising, since that was a setup that closely mirrored the XBox specs.

With all settings as low as I could get them I doubt I got over 15FPS a single time, most of the time it was probably below 10. And this is in the close quarters where the game begins... I fear how bad it would be at larger areas.

The worst-performing levels in the game are probably the cantina levels, which are small and compact.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#55 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:31 PM

If you have access to a GeForce 3Ti or 4Ti, you can improve performance over the Radeon 9000 on that setup, enough to where you'd probably be happy with it. I tested the game on a 800MHz G4 with a 3Ti and it ran pretty good. Not surprising, since that was a setup that closely mirrored the XBox specs.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I don't have any other cards... but I do have a 9600 XT in my 2.5GHz G5 as soon as it gets fixed... that should do it ;) I just want to play it now..... And it is playable on the PowerBook... I'll be able to bring that back home on friday... so the weekend is saved no matter how long my G5 is away :)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions.†Aim higher.†Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#56 Beemer Dan

Beemer Dan

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:52 AM

I just picked it up last night, good thing I checked the PC section at the local compusa....

*picks up the row of Mac KOTOR boxes and takes them over to the Mac section of the store*

On my dual 2GHz G5 it runs great with everything on. Olny played for about an hour last night, but it seems pretty good so far. Huge thanks to  Brad and Aspyr!

#57 noxes

noxes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:07 PM

I have a
1.25 GHz SP PowerMac
1.25 GB RAM
64 MB ATI 9000 Pro Vcard

This game runs like crap.  I am in the sewer level right now and I can't even move.  All the settings are set to low as they go.  I might install OS 10.3 on my other drive and see what happens.

#58 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 01:40 PM

I have a  
1.25 GHz SP PowerMac
1.25 GB RAM
64 MB ATI 9000 Pro Vcard

This game runs like crap.  I am in the sewer level right now and I can't even move.  All the settings are set to low as they go.  I might install OS 10.3 on my other drive and see what happens.

What OS are you using?  10.3.4 is the minimum.  There are certain OpenGL features which were only made available within the last few OS X updates and KotOR relies heavily on some of those features and various bug fixes.  Lack of those features can really affect performance.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#59 noxes

noxes

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

I'm all updated at 10.3.5,  Just tried installing 10.3.5 on my second drive and playing from there with no extra stuff running in the background, and I still get crappy FPS.  I get ok to good FPS in Halo, MOH, Spider-man 2, and America's Army.  However I get low to medium FPS in WWIIOL.

#60 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:24 PM

I have a  
1.25 GHz SP PowerMac
1.25 GB RAM
64 MB ATI 9000 Pro Vcard

This game runs like crap.  I am in the sewer level right now and I can't even move.  All the settings are set to low as they go.  I might install OS 10.3 on my other drive and see what happens.

Interesting... My machine is a Dual 1 GHz MDD with a little bit less RAM than you have. And while there are slowdowns, it doesn't seem that bad. Of course, I just got to the sewer level, so I may not have gotten to the area that eats frame rates for breakfast. Or maybe you and I have different opinions as to what craptacular is in regards to frame rates.

The only problem that Iíve had in playing the game is getting stuck in the cantina areas when I inadvertently get behind an NPC who then blocks my way out. While this is annoying, I donít think that I can blame it on my wimpy Radeon 9000 Pro video card.

Iíd like to hear from someone who is playing this game on a G4 with a more powerful video card. Iím thinking about upgrading my video card, and Iím interested in learning whether or not it really makes $300 worth of difference.

Mad Matt