134 replies to this topic

#121 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:40 PM

Anyone playing this on a 12" PB/1Ghz/Go5200fx 32MB?  I scanned through this thread and saw everything but someone with this machine.

Thanks!
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#122 clichekiller

clichekiller

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:07 PM

Well it's running well on both my machines.  

Desktop
Dual 1.25 MDD G4, 1 Gig RAM, and GeForce4 Ti 4600

Laptop
17" 1.33 PB, 512 megs RAM, don't know graphics card.

#123 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:21 PM

KotOR is really a kick ass game.

Now get this....

I am playing KotOR on a MDD Dual Processor 867 PowerMac G4 with 768MB RAM and a Radeon 9800 pro. This game runs better than NWN on a Mac that meets the reqs. How is this possible? I dont know. I was ready for a slide show and instead I got surprisingly smooth performance (considering that I am below spec. This doesn't mean it was fantastic) was. In most areas I got acceptable framerates. The worst was in the cantinas. It slowed down a whole lot there, at least until I got to an area that wasn't so populated in the cantinas. I also noticed that on this machine it is inconsistent. For example... my boyfriend, who is lightyears behind in the game compared to me, can play for hours and at first it sucks but gets better, then when I jump on and play the game is surprisingly smooth. (I gather the textures and what not got loaded and didn't have to access the HD as much). I think that if you have an 867, GOBS of RAM (I have a sneaking suspicion that if I max out the RAM it would be even better) and a good video card that may be enough to get you through the game. DONT USE FSAA..... this ran decently on my machine with FSAA, but once you have your first space fight, you'll see that it does not cut it and will turn it off.

Even the in-game cinematics (not the pre-rendered stuff... this will often follow the pre-rendered stuff... like Malak doing some not so nice things to Taris) ran smoothly

If you have an 867G4, RAM and a good graphics card, this game wont be as smooth as meeting or beating the specs, but it is still VERY playable and enjoyable. I think my secret is that I bought the game knowing I was below spec and expected the worse. What I got in return was soooooooooo much better than I had expected. Like I said... I have an upgrades B&W G3 tower with a 500mhz G4 upgrade a crappy video card and about 512MB of RAM and Neverwinter Nights runs like a horrific slide show... even spinning the camera turns to an act in futility with everything turned off and an 800x600 resolution. That was what I was expecting with KotOR on my MDD DP867. That is FAAAAAARRRRRRR from what I got. It was more than acceptable for an RPG (FPS do not count here as much as in UT2K4 for example), highly enjoyable and I have all the goodies turned on (except Grass).

So... buy KotOR and enjoy it... then realize that soon enough you can upgrade your Mac and playing KotOR would be even more enjoyable. BTW the fighting animations ROCK!!!

Z.

#124 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:00 PM

A note to the Laptop game players having a slow down. Try setting KotOR to the native resolution of the Laptop. For example.. my 15" powerbook does a native resolution of 1152x768. Anything lower than that cause massive slowdowns... the display is emulating that lower resolution and is choking. So try setting the resolution to the native ormat or as close as you can get... for some that would mean 1024x768. This really should make a difference.

Games on the Powerbooks always seem to do better when you are either at the native resolution or are very close to it. That being said, also keep in mind the mobile graphics chips, slower bus speeds (RAM and CPU) and the slow speeds of the HardDrives (KotOR is run from the HD and needs the DVD for anti-piracy) your laptop may not be fantastic in performance.

Z.

#125 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:04 PM

Games on the Powerbooks always seem to do better when you are either at the native resolution or are very close to it.

I've never found this to be true for the PowerBooks I've owned.  However, my card is slow enough that most games running at the native res will be bottlenecked by the video card.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#126 Zatoichi

Zatoichi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

Games on the Powerbooks always seem to do better when you are either at the native resolution or are very close to it.

I've never found this to be true for the PowerBooks I've owned.  However, my card is slow enough that most games running at the native res will be bottlenecked by the video card.

Wow... interesting.. that has always been the case with any powerbook I have ever seen. For example, I have even had games like Alice run like crap in lower resolutions on the Powerbook, but once I have changed the resolution to something close the native resolution (for Alice it does not support wide screen so 1024x768 is the best it could do) the game ran smooth as silk.

The video cards, unless they put a 5200 GO or a 9800mobile card in the sucker, seems to always be the laptops bottleneck (not counting the bus speeds and HD speeds of course). If only we could get a powerhouse PowerBook with a user upgraded graphics card like the Alienware laptops. Screw the size... I am a strong stapping man.. I can handle it... LOL

Z.

#127 OneButton

OneButton

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:45 AM

running 10.3.5 with the highest res possible on my 12" (specs below) and all the other graphical settings turned to the next to highest quality...

the game runs clicky (but very playable) in some places, but this isn't a reflex game so the clickiness is definitely worth the trade off for a beautiful game.

set on next to lowest quality, the frame rates are much better and i only get clicky in the most busy of rooms.  

overall i'd have to say i'm totally satisfied with the performance of the game on my PB.

:-D
12" Powerbook 1.33 G4, 1.25gig RAM, Combo drive, 60gig 4200 rpm HD, 64mb nVidia Geforce FX go5200

Current Mac games in process of finishing: UT 2004

#128 awedgamer

awedgamer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

Anyone running the game on an old 1 gig G4 iMac? Sounds like I should expect pretty passable performance but if anyone has any rants or raves about this exact hardware I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

#129 Ronaldinho

Ronaldinho

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:35 PM

I just wanted to throw my specs out there.

Just finished the game on a dual 800, 764MB, Geforce 3 (64 mb) graphics card, 10.4.2 (with vertex objects disabled - see the sticky).

The game played extremely well at 1280x1024; There were a few crashes (some of which were solved by changing the resolution temporarily. One of which required booting into 10.3.9).

There were two or three places (the undercity, one of the hallways on Manaan, maybe one other place) where the game slowed to a nearly unplayable crawl for a few minutes. I addressed this problem by tweaking the specs. I believe this happens when there are a ton of NPCs (such as the Rakghouls in the undercity) in a small area, although I'm not sure. Thankfully, since the game is more about story than combat, these problems are things you can work around.

In any event, the game was well worth putting put with those few problems.

#130 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Since my computer is slow, I might as well wait for the mactel version comes out.
What is a man?

#131 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

i keep reading about "KOTOR" or "KotOR". what is it? will it make a drastic change in my life?

#132 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

hambone, on August 29th 2005, 01:40 PM, said:

i keep reading about "KOTOR" or "KotOR". what is it? will it make a drastic change in my life?

View Post

did in mine. It's Knights of the Old Republic.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#133 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

What I would like to know is, has the latest version of Tiger fixed Dantooine?
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#134 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on September 2nd 2005, 05:09 PM, said:

What I would like to know is, has the latest version of Tiger fixed Dantooine?

View Post

No, I've heard that 10.4.4 (yes, you read that right) will address performance in KOTOR in some form though.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#135 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Brad Oliver, on September 4th 2005, 02:07 PM, said:

No, I've heard that 10.4.4 (yes, you read that right) will address performance in KOTOR in some form though.

View Post

Nice to know it's on the agenda.. too bad it's on the next.  :blink: