Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later
PowerPC G4/G5, 1GHz or faster
256 MB RAM(512MB recommended)
4.2 GB free disk space
ATI Radeon 8500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better 3D Graphic Acceleration
32 MB of VRAM
DVD drive
Could this game have been optimized more to reduce the requirements.  The PC version didn't require such heavy system specifications.  Is this laziness on the developer's part, a trade off (most likely as indicated below), or really a true representation of the lowest system requirements.  

Adams notes that the game's heavy dependency on OpenGL features meant that playing the game on any system other than the most recent would require weeks of additional tweaking, for marginally small results - for example, players under any previous system would have to turn off pixel shading, regardless of how powerful their graphics card.

I only exceed the minimum requirements by a smidgen, I've already pre-ordered the game here is hoping it works.  I'll be really depressed if it doesn't.  

My System:
Dual G4 1.25
1 Gig Ram
GeForce 4TI

I wonder how it will run/look on my system.

[EDIT] This is not meant to be an attack on Aspyr, Glenda, or the developers.  If it seems as such I apologize in advance [EDIT]

#2 The Merry W@lrus

The Merry W@lrus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:31 AM

it should run fine as it uses a modified NWN engine, and you exeed the sytem rqs

#3 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:31 AM

Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later
4.2 GB free disk space
32 MB of VRAM
DVD drive

Could this game have been optimized more to reduce the requirements.  The PC version didn't require such heavy system specifications.  Is this laziness on the developer's part, a trade off (most likely as indicated below), or really a true representation of the lowest system requirements.

Didn't require such heavy specs? I'd say it requires close to exact the same specs:

Computer: 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible computer
Operating Systems: Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
CPU: Intel PIII 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz required
Memory: 128 MB RAM required for Windows 98, 256 MB RAM required for Windows ME/2000/XP
Graphics Card: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible Audio Device required
CD-ROM: Quad Speed CD-ROM drive required
Input Device: Keyboard and mouse required
DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 9.0b is included on this CD. NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" drivers for your particular hardware.
Installation: 4.0 GB of free hard drive space required

Supported Chipsets at the time of release:

ATI Radeon 8500/9000/9200

ATI Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800

NVIDIA GeForce 2/3/4 family

NVIDIA GeForceFX family

Additional Chipsets supported. For a complete list of supported 3D cards, please consult the Troubleshooting guide, or visit the Technical Support section of the LucasArts Website at www.lucasarts.com.

Recommended Specifications:

CPU: 1.6 GHZ AMD or Intel processor

Video Chipset: ATI Radeon 9200 or better, NVidia GeForce4 Ti or better

RAM: 512 MB RAM

You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#4 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:01 AM

Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later
4.2 GB free disk space
32 MB of VRAM
DVD drive

Could this game have been optimized more to reduce the requirements.  The PC version didn't require such heavy system specifications.

In what way? They're nearly identical to the Mac.

My System:
Dual G4 1.25
1 Gig Ram
GeForce 4TI

I wonder how it will run/look on my system.

It'll run fantastic on that setup. KOTOR does great on the GeForce 3Ti and 4Ti.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#5 clichekiller

clichekiller

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:56 AM

Thank you for the response.  I was concerned by the comment

Adams notes that the game's heavy dependency on OpenGL features meant that playing the game on any system other than the most recent
I wasn't sure what was meant by most recent, as I didn't consider my system recent by current Mac standards.

Another question.  How would the game run on a powerbook, with their mobile video cards.  I'd love to be able to take the game on the road with me, but I don't know if that is a realistic expectation?

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and I look forward to receiving my pre-ordered copy when it comes in.

#6 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:38 AM

Sigh. It's true that I got my hopes up from Brad's earlier blog post...maybe, just maybe my 867 mHz G4 PowerMac with a Radeon 9000 Pro would be able to churn through it. Less hopeful, now.

I hope the new G5 iMacs have decent video or an AGP slot.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#7 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

Adams notes that the game's heavy dependency on OpenGL features meant that playing the game on any system other than the most recent
I wasn't sure what was meant by most recent, as I didn't consider my system recent by current Mac standards.

In this case, replace the word "system" with "OS version" in that quote, and you have the gist of the statement.

Another question.  How would the game run on a powerbook, with their mobile video cards.  I'd love to be able to take the game on the road with me, but I don't know if that is a realistic expectation?

It totally depends on the specs for the PowerBook. If you meet the minimum for KOTOR, then you should be OK.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#8 clichekiller

clichekiller

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:53 PM

Thanks Brad for taking the time to answer my questions.

#9 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:39 PM

Sigh. It's true that I got my hopes up from Brad's earlier blog post...maybe, just maybe my 867 mHz G4 PowerMac with a Radeon 9000 Pro would be able to churn through it. Less hopeful, now.

I hope the new G5 iMacs have decent video or an AGP slot.

I wouldn't recommend giving up all hope.  At least you have a Radeon 9000.  That might be enough to make it somewhat playable.  And when they say 1 GHz G4 for a minimum req, is that with or without the L3 cache?  256 KB L2 cache or 512 KB L2 cache?  The G4s with 256KB L2 caches got a nice performance boost with L3 caches.  A 867 G4 w/ a 1 MB L3 cache is roughly the equivalent of a 1 GHz G4 w/ just a 256 KB L2 cache in respect to game performance.  So, maybe your G4 867 w/ Radeon 9000 might juuuuuust be playable.

Of course, it's all speculation until it ships.

Those with Radeon 7500s on the other hand...
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#10 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

How about my system? Do you guys think KOTOR will be playable on my system?  Not sure if it helps, but I got a Radeon 9800 pro.  Wish there were cpu upgrades for my MDD tower.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#11 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:40 AM

How about my system? Do you guys think KOTOR will be playable on my system?  Not sure if it helps, but I got a Radeon 9800 pro.  Wish there were cpu upgrades for my MDD tower.

Did you read the other thread  regarding the KotOR reqs?

Your video card might be able to compensate for slower CPU.  We'll see when the game comes out though.  Someone with a system similar to yours is bound to try it first... unless you end up buying 'that guy.'

#12 Mr.PreacherMan

Mr.PreacherMan

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

Brad's notes excluded, actually... since he really does know.

#13 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, as do the beta testers. Of course that could change if some last-minute optimization sneaks in, so really, we can't say for sure until it ships. :)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#14 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

And thanks for playing Pointing Out the Obvious!

Who's next for another round of POO?  ;)

#15 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend giving up all hope.  At least you have a Radeon 9000.  That might be enough to make it somewhat playable.  And when they say 1 GHz G4 for a minimum req, is that with or without the L3 cache?  256 KB L2 cache or 512 KB L2 cache?  The G4s with 256KB L2 caches got a nice performance boost with L3 caches.  A 867 G4 w/ a 1 MB L3 cache is roughly the equivalent of a 1 GHz G4 w/ just a 256 KB L2 cache in respect to game performance.  So, maybe your G4 867 w/ Radeon 9000 might juuuuuust be playable.

My delightful 867 mHz G4 has 256k of L2 cache and NO L3 cache. None at all! *snif*

So, I'm starting to consider one of those CPU upgrades. I could get a 1.33 mHz machine with a huge-mongous 2 megs of L3 cache...along with my Radeon 9000 Pro, I would be a gaming powerhouse! yeah! for $350 instead of $1900. Tempting. I can get get a new machine next year, once I'm out of school and making a little more money.

Time to hoof it over to the Hardware Forum to find out more.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#16 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:05 AM

Runs great on my 17-inch. ;)
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#17 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:37 AM

Runs great on my 17-inch. ;)

How could it? It isn't out yet.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#18 Shane

Shane

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:15 AM

look who he is, all big media people get to do the betas

#19 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

look who he is, all big media people get to do the betas
oh. Yeah.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#20 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

I'm trying not to be one of those people who whines about how long the game takes to get to market and then complains about the bugs in the game. But I really wish that Aspyr would hurry up with the beta process on KotOR so that I can see how it runs on my personal machine.

I want this game, and I want it now. Well, I want it this evening. The Mac version of KotOR won't do me a whole lot of good while I'm at work with a Windows box sitting on my desk.

-Matt