Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:54 AM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on September 23rd 2005, 03:59 AM, said:

But by the time it comes out we will start using Intelmacs, so maybe...  :(

View Post

But that would depend on whether the issue is microprocessor related or OS related ... regardless I hope that a Mac version comes out.  But I hope more that the game isn't 'teh sux0r'.

Mike
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#42 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:17 PM

MadMatt, on August 9th 2004, 02:42 PM, said:

As far as I know, there is no upgrade option for my MDD G4

Barefeats just tested a 2GHz G4 and it goes toe to toe with a 2GHz G5, which bodes well for a game that 'requires' a G5.

As far as NWN2 goes, starting from NWN was a big help in making KOTOR and KOTOR2. Where is KOTOR2 by the way?

#43 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

The G4 got beat by a very noticeable margin in the game benchmarks.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#44 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

a2daj, on September 23rd 2005, 01:13 PM, said:

The G4 got beat by a very noticeable margin in the game benchmarks.

As noticable as a 1.6 vs 2 would be?

#45 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

bobbob, on September 23rd 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

Barefeats just tested a 2GHz G4 and it goes toe to toe with a 2GHz G5, which bodes well for a game that 'requires' a G5.

As far as NWN2 goes, starting from NWN was a big help in making KOTOR and KOTOR2. Where is KOTOR2 by the way?

View Post

KOTOR2 was rushed and still has bugs.
Hopefully Obsidian won't be rushed with NWN2.

#46 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:15 PM

The intellimacs won't make porting from Direct3D to OpenGL any easier really. It just means that WINE or just running Windows could be an option. An option I'm personally inclined to shy away from.

#47 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:14 PM

NeoWolf, on September 23rd 2005, 05:15 PM, said:

The intellimacs won't make porting from Direct3D to OpenGL any easier really. It just means that WINE or just running Windows could be an option. An option I'm personally inclined to shy away from.

View Post

Well, if it means we can play great RPGs as soon as they came out, on a Mac, I'll use it.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#48 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

I'd rather wait for Mac native. It wouldn't involve a pain to setup (WINE) or the annoyance of dual booting (Windows). It also would lead to continued support of the Mac gaming industry. If everyone does just play the Windows version the Mac gaming industry's fears of dying are quite legitimate.

#49 Jolly Rogue

Jolly Rogue

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

NeoWolf, on September 23rd 2005, 07:03 PM, said:

If everyone does just play the Windows version the Mac gaming industry's fears of dying are quite legitimate.
The market for Mac games (especially porting) has always been a little weird, at least in comparison to the corporatized process of Windoze development. This might be a good opportunity for the Mac side of the industry to adopt some of the dynamic style of the rest of the OS. If they want to survive, they've got to break out of the old habits of trying to emulate the processes of the windows developers and open channels of communication directly to the Mac market especially with this Intel switch.

The Mac houses have to ask the core Mac gaming market what they want. I don't think they can rely strictly on what the Windows folk love after all, the Mac crowd has already proven themselved different by... owning a Mac. Perhaps even more importantly, they've got to be open about what their plans and projections are. We Mac few have already accepted that at least as gamers we're second class citizens. It's the sacrifice we make for a better overall system. However, what we don't like is operating in the dark. If they want to keep us from jumping ship to Dualbootland, they've got to give realistic timetables on what games they're looking at and how long it would take to port. If I've got a six month (10 month or whatever) wait, I can handle that. I've done fine so far without "X" game, I can wait to play native. However, if I don't have any clue whatsoever about a particular title, and porting house "Y" can't even say it's in negotiations, then I have to assume it's not coming and I start packing my bags for Dualbootland.

Mac users and the rest of the Mac software market have all had to endure changes in the way things are done. If Mac gaming wants to stay afloat, I think they have to adapt and I think better communication is one way they can help their chance for survival.

#50 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

I definitely agree having open communication would be a lot better. I'm not fond of this, "Oh BTW we ported X and it's coming out next month" that seems to happen with some disturbing regularity. However I can sympathize with not wanting talk about it much either. If they promise a date and can't deliver they're going to get a lot of flack for it. Considering that they won't REALLY know how long it's going to be until they finally have the source code in their lap they can't really afford to make promises toooooo early either.

#51 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:45 AM

Well of course I'd buy the Mac native games. But having the option of being able to run PCs games on a mac is too good to refuse, and if there isn't much chance of a game coming to Mac, why not get it?

#52 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

The first thing I'm really looking forward to once I have an Intelmac is purchasing some of those great games we never got at all and, at this point, won't ever get: Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Half Life 1 & 2, Thief 1-3, etc.  There will be enough of thos games available to me for very little money - stretching back for at least seven years - to keep me busy for a long, long time.

After that, my general policy is that I'm willing to wait two years after a PC release for a game to get picked up by a porting house.  If there is no word at all on a possible port within that time, I'll buy the PC version.  But not for at least 2 years.  I want to give Mac publishers every possible chance to pick up a title and get my money.  I understand if most of you cannot wait that long for some games, but I encourage you to try.  There are a lot of older, and still great PC games you'll be able to play in the meantime.  I do agree, however, that in order to retain our business in the face of dualboot competition, Mac publishers are going to have to let us know their plans far, far sooner (*cough*MACSOFT*cough*NWN EXPANSIONS).
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#53 Jolly Rogue

Jolly Rogue

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

clocknova, on September 24th 2005, 05:24 PM, said:

...I do agree, however, that in order to retain our business in the face of dualboot competition, Mac publishers are going to have to let us know their plans far, far sooner (*cough*MACSOFT*cough*NWN EXPANSIONS).
Your comment might be a bit too subtle.

...At least from the POV of a guy that bought 3 windows copies of the both NWN XPs for the Mac LAN in my apartment.

The first thing I'm really looking forward to once I have an Intelmac is purchasing some of those great games we never got at all and, at this point, won't ever get
That would almost be worth making a journey to Dualbootland. Just to be able to play Civ3 with the expansion packs (all for what...? Maybe $10 by the Macintel comes out) or dabble with a fully armed and operational Aurora toolset. It would be tempting and by giving us access to the previous wave or two of hits, it might even take a little pressure off the Mac houses. Might...

But oooh... Aurora...

Apologies to Sumpfork, and I'm still dabbling with Neveredit (I'm actually tossing around ideas of how I might contribute a users guide [a little more than the bug reports that I already contribute]), but I've got ideas and I want to make them happen. The irony is that there is this [somewhat true] perception that "all the creative people" are on the Mac, yet Windows gets all the content creation tools (ie: Aurora). How would the NWN or Civ community be different if we had the MacHeads tossing in creative content? My guess: it would be a lot like the rest of the computer world a very small percentage that has a very large impact. Leading by style, if you will.

my general policy is that I'm willing to wait two years after a PC release for a game to get picked up by a porting house.  If there is no word at all on a possible port within that time, I'll buy the PC version.  But not for at least 2 years.  I want to give Mac publishers every possible chance to pick up a title and get my money.  I understand if most of you cannot wait that long for some games, but I encourage you to try.
You have more patience than me and I consider myself a pretty patient guy. I'm willing to wait two years to get a game ported, but I've got to have word that some anointed Mac genius is is on the case that very moment (or will start swapping bytes as soon as he's done taking sips). I need some clue that MacSoft (or whomever) is considering making an offer, in negotiations, etc., and get some feedback on how it's going. Geezuz, if you can tell people that there are diplomatic negotiations going on between the US and North Korea, the least we deserve is some note that MacSoft sent a memo to Obsidian that they'd like to see a copy of NWN2.

Sure, maybe it doesn't pan out (just like it doesn't often pan out when you're negotiationg with North Korea), but as long as MacSoft is communicative to their consumer base, we're willing to roll with it. Maybe an Al Schilling or Peter Tamte blog? I hear corporate blogging is all the rage these days...

Addendum: Oh yeah and a little more support for the community, too. Would it have killed MacSoft to send over a few files to Sumpfork? If it doesn't make man-hour sense to build something but the community is willing to do it itself, a gentle nudge could make a world of difference... and maybe increase the Mac fanbase.

#54 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on September 24th 2005, 05:45 AM, said:

Well of course I'd buy the Mac native games. But having the option of being able to run PCs games on a mac is too good to refuse, and if there isn't much chance of a game coming to Mac, why not get it?

Yup, 100% agree here. There's just too many games out there for PC that never will make it to the Mac natively that are superb games. If I can dual boot into Windows to play R###: T#### W##, IL2, use the Aurora Toolset, and a few others, darn right I will. And even if I know a game may come 12-18 months after the PC title (can we hope for Mac porting houses announcing things earlier??) like The Movies or Black & White 2 then just one more reason to dual boot. I know which one I'm getting as soon as I can get an Intel Mac laptop and it dual booting.
;)

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#55 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

DaveyJJ, on September 25th 2005, 06:36 PM, said:

Yup, 100% agree here. There's just too many games out there for PC that never will make it to the Mac natively that are superb games. If I can dual boot into Windows to play R###: T#### W##, IL2, use the Aurora Toolset, and a few others, darn right I will. And even if I know a game may come 12-18 months after the PC title (can we hope for Mac porting houses announcing things earlier??) like The Movies or Black & White 2 then just one more reason to dual boot. I know which one I'm getting as soon as I can get an Intel Mac laptop and it dual booting.
;)

View Post

I don't. Please tell me, in non-abbreivated format.

Also, I'm looking more foward to Dragon Age, than NWN 2, as thats actually being made by Bioware.

#56 DrSal

DrSal

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:08 AM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on September 27th 2005, 08:46 AM, said:

Also, I'm looking more foward to Dragon Age, than NWN 2, as thats actually being made by Bioware.

View Post

The games made by Black Isle were arguably better than those made by Bioware.

I miss my v 3.5 ruleset... (aka. TOEE)

#57 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on September 27th 2005, 03:46 AM, said:

No. Don't make me summon tBC. :huh:

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#58 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

DaveyJJ, on September 27th 2005, 02:00 PM, said:

View Post

What's the big deal with Rome: Total War?  I've seen my roomate play it on his PC and I'm not terribly impressed (although flaming pigs are pretty cool).
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#59 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

DaveyJJ, on September 27th 2005, 11:00 AM, said:

View Post

::tBC, in the Mother Ship orbiting Earth, rolls over in his sleep onto The Big Red Button and accidently flays Cincinnati::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#60 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

Bad cat!

Mandrake628