Things you'd like to see in 10.4... or later.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

Like many other folk, I felt a little underwhelmed with the Tiger preview.  Though I'm just a measly end-user and not a programmer by any means I do enjoy seeing what extra features will be enlisted with the new system.  So what would you guys like to see as an addition to future releases of OSX?

Here's my list (which is composed of mostly nitpicky things):
[list]- Better integrated FTP functionality (where you can actually "upload" files! what a concept!)
- Better user-swapping functionality between programs (certain programs, like iTunes, cannot be open simutaneously by two users.  what bullcrap.)
- At least one more "theme" other than the standard Aqua and Graphite.
- Tweaking of the column menu system.  (like when you open up a folder via a double-click you can view parent folders within the column view instead of being stuck with the current folder as the top folder)
- Refreshing icon "details" (like if you choose to view item details on the desktop and get the size and availability of your hard drive, even if you transfer a gig of data from/to the hard drive, the desktop icon details never change until Finder is restarted)
- Kill the annoying "lifesaver" wait cursor which really doesn't go with anything.
- Better PDF print options (like compression, dpi settings, password protection)
- More Mail features (like a synopsis "pop-up" that gives the sender/first few lines of text when new mail arrives, something like Outlook 2003 does)
- Fix the "behind windows" problem (this happens most when I'm in Flash or Photoshop, where I try to jump back to one of those programs and Finder windows get stuck infront of them.  Usually fixed when I click on the dock program icon, but horribly annoying)
- More GUI control, like shadow control (i.e. on/off, and depth), transparency control, individual icon sizing,
- Quicktime Pro (this is just wishful thinking, but if we're buying a $130 upgrade, we deserve to be able to save movie trailers to our freakin' desktops).[list]
And I know most of these can be solved via shareware add-ons or alternate software, but those can add up in the pocketbook quickly.  What other ideas/problems would you like to see added/resolved?

#2 KTI

KTI

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:04 PM

AMEN!  To all of the above.  Especially the part about Quicktime.  

One thing I'd like to see is iChat incorporate more programs than just a .mac and AOL account.  Maybe even have it built into the OS background or menu bar or task bar or whatever.  Just more iChat funtionality in general.

#3 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

Most of those features are mentioned third party aviliable through the magical world of shareware.
the IMG audio guy...

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:19 AM

(certain programs, like iTunes, cannot be open simutaneously by two users.  what bullcrap.)
That was fixed in iTunes 4.5

- Tweaking of the column menu system.  (like when you open up a folder via a double-click you can view parent folders within the column view instead of being stuck with the current folder as the top folder)

You are suppose to single click to remain in the column view, double clicking will read the .DS_Store file for that folder and use it's last used browsing method.

#5 Robo-X

Robo-X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:48 AM

Well if you open a quicktime movie in a browser you can find it in the browsers cache folder. That is how I get most of the movie trailers I watch even if I do have Quicktime Pro.

//Rob

#6 KTI

KTI

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:41 AM

Where is Safari's cache stored?  I remember doing this with IE long ago, but haven't since the switch.

#7 nagareboshi

nagareboshi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:10 AM

they really should improve ichat. I mean ok, audio- and videochats are nice and duh... but they should really make this tab stuff (like adium and proteus). yeah, it kinda sounds like copying but I hate to switch between a bazillion windows. sometimes I could just tick off because it's filling up my freakin' desktop.
kate the great

#8 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:14 AM

Instead of looking for the cache in Safari, you can do this:

Go to the site with the movie and start streaming it.

Hit Command-Option-a to bring up the activity window - this will show you all the download activity from the site you're on ( all images that are downloaded, etc) here you should be able to find the movie that's being downloaded to the browser.

Double clicking the movie in the activity window will bring it up in a new window with a direct path to it in the address bar, you can then drag the address to the download (cmnd-option-L) window and it wil download to your desktop.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#9 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:36 AM

I'd really like to be able to set a background color and change the icon size when the folder view is in list mode... :o
"Nothing here but us text"

#10 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:55 AM

[quote][list]RBrowser Lite is freeware and does everything you reasonably need an FTP to do. Get it, now.

[quote]- Better user-swapping functionality between programs (certain programs, like iTunes, cannot be open simutaneously by two users.  what bullcrap.)[/quote]

Fixed as noted.

[quote]- At least one more "theme" other than the standard Aqua and Graphite.[/quote]Bad idea. Standardise. Unlike a lot of people I don't hate metallic, but I do wish they standardised--keep one theme for windows, menus, and so on, across all applications. I see the reasoning behind the metallic theme but the "rules" applied have been inconsistent--one theme fits Apple much better. Whatever that theme may be.

[quote]- Tweaking of the column menu system.  (like when you open up a folder via a double-click you can view parent folders within the column view instead of being stuck with the current folder as the top folder)[/quote]

An earlier Mac OS X system had something like this, I believe. If you used Column view, when you opened a window to Columns you had the entire length of directories to the left available to scroll back through--this just drove me bonkers! (I navigate columns a lot with the arrow keys.) Although it didn't have a Menu list like Panther, it was incredibly annoying with how easy it was to navigate past the directory you wanted to deal with. I'm very happy with the Menu window as it is.

[quote]- Kill the annoying "lifesaver" wait cursor which really doesn't go with anything.[/quote]Heh. I like it. What to replace it with? Besides the optical disc is a NeXT legacy. I like how it connects Apple to its UNIX heritage.

[quote]- Better PDF print options (like compression, dpi settings, password protection)[/quote]

Don't people who need this have the tools already?

[quote]- More Mail features (like a synopsis "pop-up" that gives the sender/first few lines of text when new mail arrives, something like Outlook 2003 does)[/quote]Mail will surely be tweaked, it always is. How much they will emulate microsoft is anybody's guess though; I tend to think it isn't an oft-requested feature. Have you requested in your feedback?

[quote]- Fix the "behind windows" problem (this happens most when I'm in Flash or Photoshop, where I try to jump back to one of those programs and Finder windows get stuck infront of them.  Usually fixed when I click on the dock program icon, but horribly annoying)[/quote]

I'm a little unclear on this, what "behind windows" problem are we talking about? The way that all app windows are not tied together? (The way MOS9 app windows were tied together.) If that's so, there's nothing broken here, I much prefer the ability to layer any window from any app over and under others.

[quote]- More GUI control, like shadow control (i.e. on/off, and depth), transparency control, individual icon sizing,[/quote]

You've already got the control of these things in the system--all apps (mostly Apple's apps, natch) do not have the hooks to change them though. This is definitely a good thing. When you look at iPhoto it's important to recognise that it is iPhoto, ditto for iTunes, and so on. Customization is good, and you can do that. Fragmenting your image and identity is bad, just like having lots of themes makes someone wonder if you're using Linux.

The only problem that I would like to see fixed with the next build is the age-old network drive unmount/Finder crash. I like the new features and additions. I'm still trying to wrap my head around CoreVideo and CoreImage, I'm a little unclear as to how or even if these will greatly help our favourite Mac pasttime.

#11 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Hit Command-Option-a to bring up the activity window - this will show you all the download activity from the site you're on ( all images that are downloaded, etc) here you should be able to find the movie that's being downloaded to the browser.

Double clicking the movie in the activity window will bring it up in a new window with a direct path to it in the address bar, you can then drag the address to the download (cmnd-option-L) window and it wil download to your desktop.
That's genius. I have always used filebuddy to identify the invisible QT cache but that's so much more…uhh…nice

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#12 KTI

KTI

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:44 PM

That is the single most coolest thing I've ever heard.  Thank you!!! You're the man!  I never knew the two windows could be used in conjunction!

#13 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:16 PM

- At least one more "theme" other than the standard Aqua and Graphite.

Bad idea. Standardise. Unlike a lot of people I don't hate metallic, but I do wish they standardised--keep one theme for windows, menus, and so on, across all applications. I see the reasoning behind the metallic theme but the "rules" applied have been inconsistent--one theme fits Apple much better. Whatever that theme may be.

I think he's referring to complete themes, and not partial themes. That is, Graphite and Aqua as you can select them from the appearance preference pane. Not partial liked the brushed metal and aqua windows. They're not much of separate themes themselves, just variation of the standard theme. I'd like to see more themes or even a possibility for skinning OS X myself, even if I'd probably stay with the original until something cleaner showed up.

Another feature that I haven't found so far, but might already be there is iSync computer sync. I'd like to sync my adress book between my PB and MDD without having to sync to .Mac in between.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#14 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

Another feature that I haven't found so far, but might already be there is iSync computer sync. I'd like to sync my adress book between my PB and MDD without having to sync to .Mac in between.

Yo.  now *this* i would pay 130 bucks for...

#15 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:02 PM

Well if you open a quicktime movie in a browser you can find it in the browsers cache folder. That is how I get most of the movie trailers I watch even if I do have Quicktime Pro.

//Rob
Or you can "View->Source", CMD-F for ".mov", and download that file.

#16 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

I think he's referring to complete themes, and not partial themes.

Well I thought that was what he was talking about too, but I still think there should be one and only one Apple theme.

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

[quote]- Refreshing icon "details" (like if you choose to view item details on the desktop and get the size and availability of your hard drive, even if you transfer a gig of data from/to the hard drive, the desktop icon details never change until Finder is restarted)[/quote]Actually creating a Folder and then deleting it, should update the Finder. Try it? It does update Finder Windows...
[quote]- Kill the annoying "lifesaver" wait cursor which really doesn't go with anything.[/quote]
Uhmm.. This doesnt make sense.. You want the old watch back?
[quote]- Better PDF print options (like compression, dpi settings, password protection)[/quote]Im pretty sure some 3rd party programs can do this.
[quote]- More Mail features (like a synopsis "pop-up" that gives the sender/first few lines of text when new mail arrives, something like Outlook 2003 does)[/quote]
Same as above.
[quote]- Fix the "behind windows" problem (this happens most when I'm in Flash or Photoshop, where I try to jump back to one of those programs and Finder windows get stuck infront of them.  Usually fixed when I click on the dock program icon, but horribly annoying)[/quote]Now HERE's a big one! I also hate when it does it.. I experience it all the time when the computer has problems keeping up with the programs! (Ie. not enough CPU)
[quote]- More GUI control, like shadow control (i.e. on/off, and depth), transparency control, individual icon sizing,[/quote]
Looks like you should write the Insanity guys..
[quote]- Quicktime Pro (this is just wishful thinking, but if we're buying a $130 upgrade, we deserve to be able to save movie trailers to our freakin' desktops).[list]
As far as I can tell we'll get the ability to watch movies in full-screen in Tiger, without having QT Pro. This is because CoreImage has it as a feature, and anyone could make a full-screen movie-player in 2 seconds with Xcode.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#18 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:32 AM

[quote][quote]- Refreshing icon "details" (like if you choose to view item details on the desktop and get the size and availability of your hard drive, even if you transfer a gig of data from/to the hard drive, the desktop icon details never change until Finder is restarted)[/quote]
Actually creating a Folder and then deleting it, should update the Finder. Try it? It does update Finder Windows...[/quote]
But you shouldn't have to do that.
[quote][quote]- Kill the annoying "lifesaver" wait cursor which really doesn't go with anything.[/quote]
Uhmm.. This doesnt make sense.. You want the old watch back?[/quote]
In some cases (i.e. photoshop) it has never left.  But design-wise, the fruity thing does not go with anything in the system.  Something different that complimented the look a bit better would be preferred.
[quote][quote]- Better PDF print options (like compression, dpi settings, password protection)[/quote]
Im pretty sure some 3rd party programs can do this.[/quote]
Yeah but if you're going to offer PDF printing abilities, why do it half-assed to the point that it's not really worth having?
[quote][quote]- More Mail features (like a synopsis "pop-up" that gives the sender/first few lines of text when new mail arrives, something like Outlook 2003 does)[/quote]
Same as above.[/quote]
Making e-mail more user friendly shouldn't require blowing an absorbant amount on an e-mail client with all kinds of features that are horribly useless to the average end-user (i.e. Outlook)
[quote][quote]- Fix the "behind windows" problem (this happens most when I'm in Flash or Photoshop, where I try to jump back to one of those programs and Finder windows get stuck infront of them.  Usually fixed when I click on the dock program icon, but horribly annoying)[/quote]
Now HERE's a big one! I also hate when it does it.. I experience it all the time when the computer has problems keeping up with the programs! (Ie. not enough CPU)[/quote]
Agreed.  That's the most retarded bug I've seen in OSX yet, and I'm horribly surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.
[quote][quote]- More GUI control, like shadow control (i.e. on/off, and depth), transparency control, individual icon sizing, [/quote]
Looks like you should write the Insanity guys..[/quote]
Bah, why?  I don't want it to be like windows where every piece of GUI is changable, but the stuff that isn't really necessary - can't we have the option to change it a little bit at least?  Especially for the folk with slower machines who'd rather not have their system bogged down by rendering transparencies and drop shadows.
[quote][quote]- Quicktime Pro (this is just wishful thinking, but if we're buying a $130 upgrade, we deserve to be able to save movie trailers to our freakin' desktops).[list]
As far as I can tell we'll get the ability to watch movies in full-screen in Tiger, without having QT Pro. This is because CoreImage has it as a feature, and anyone could make a full-screen movie-player in 2 seconds with Xcode.[/quote]
I just think it's retarded that a program that inexpensive can't be added in as an incentive.  If anything to keep that "Why go pro?" pop-up from constantly appearing.  Otherwise I find no justification in buying the stupid thing, especially with the hacks mentioned previously in this thread (thanks btw guys!)

#19 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:51 AM

(Sorry for the double-super-long-posts!):razz:

[quote][quote][list]

RBrowser Lite is freeware and does everything you reasonably need an FTP to do. Get it, now.[/quote]

Fark that.  I've got Transmit.  But again it's dumb to offer a feature and make it so half-assed that it's not worth using at all.

[quote][quote]- Better user-swapping functionality between programs (certain programs, like iTunes, cannot be open simutaneously by two users.  what bullcrap.)[/quote]

Fixed as noted.[/quote]

I see now.  Thank God.

[quote][quote]- At least one more "theme" other than the standard Aqua and Graphite.[/quote]

Bad idea. Standardise. Unlike a lot of people I don't hate metallic, but I do wish they standardised--keep one theme for windows, menus, and so on, across all applications. I see the reasoning behind the metallic theme but the "rules" applied have been inconsistent--one theme fits Apple much better. Whatever that theme may be.[/quote]

No no no, I'm not talking about radical system-wide changing of the look.  Keep the same look but offer some subtile changes.  Like Graphite compliments Aqua, can't you have maybe a "lime" version that changes the "colored" items (i.e. close, minimize, maximize window buttons) to a tint of green?  Something like that.  Why have just two?!

[quote][quote]- Tweaking of the column menu system.  (like when you open up a folder via a double-click you can view parent folders within the column view instead of being stuck with the current folder as the top folder)[/quote]

An earlier Mac OS X system had something like this, I believe. If you used Column view, when you opened a window to Columns you had the entire length of directories to the left available to scroll back through--this just drove me bonkers! (I navigate columns a lot with the arrow keys.) Although it didn't have a Menu list like Panther, it was incredibly annoying with how easy it was to navigate past the directory you wanted to deal with. I'm very happy with the Menu window as it is.[/quote]

I still hate the fact that I get stuck with a folder as the top level and must close out and re-open a new folder view just to get where I want to go.

[quote][quote]- Kill the annoying "lifesaver" wait cursor which really doesn't go with anything.[/quote]

Heh. I like it. What to replace it with? Besides the optical disc is a NeXT legacy. I like how it connects Apple to its UNIX heritage.[/quote]

Maybe, but since Apple is all about design it's odd they have a GUI element that doesn't go with anything else in the system.

[quote][quote]- Better PDF print options (like compression, dpi settings, password protection)[/quote]

Don't people who need this have the tools already?[/quote]

I don't.  I'd love to be able to send a high-res PDF without having to shell out cash for Acrobat which has tons of features I really don't need.  Again, why offer the feature if you're going to do it half assed?

[quote][quote]- More Mail features (like a synopsis "pop-up" that gives the sender/first few lines of text when new mail arrives, something like Outlook 2003 does)[/quote]

Mail will surely be tweaked, it always is. How much they will emulate microsoft is anybody's guess though; I tend to think it isn't an oft-requested feature. Have you requested in your feedback?[/quote]

Yep.  And it doesn't have to "copy" the thing, just find someway to let me know who's e-mailing me and what it's about without interupting the work I'm doing.

[quote][quote]- Fix the "behind windows" problem (this happens most when I'm in Flash or Photoshop, where I try to jump back to one of those programs and Finder windows get stuck infront of them.  Usually fixed when I click on the dock program icon, but horribly annoying)[/quote]

I'm a little unclear on this, what "behind windows" problem are we talking about? The way that all app windows are not tied together? (The way MOS9 app windows were tied together.) If that's so, there's nothing broken here, I much prefer the ability to layer any window from any app over and under others.[/quote]

No, it's broken alright.  If you've ever used Flash MX (and sometimes Photoshop) and other programs at the same time, it's almost a sure thing that you'll trip across this problem.  Usually happens when you're switching back to Flash as the program "in focus" and the previous Finder window you were just using doesn't fall to the background of the desktop like it should.  Insanely annoying.

[quote][quote]- More GUI control, like shadow control (i.e. on/off, and depth), transparency control, individual icon sizing,[/quote]

You've already got the control of these things in the system--all apps (mostly Apple's apps, natch) do not have the hooks to change them though. This is definitely a good thing. When you look at iPhoto it's important to recognise that it is iPhoto, ditto for iTunes, and so on. Customization is good, and you can do that. Fragmenting your image and identity is bad, just like having lots of themes makes someone wonder if you're using Linux.[/quote]

I don't think you understood the problem.  It'd be cool to control the drop shadows that all floating windows in OSX have.  At least the ability to turn them off and on and eliminate the transparency effects in the "File" "Edit" "Window" (etc) menus.  These things degrade system performance on older machines and it'd be at least a nice gesture to include someway of turning them off and on without having to download a shareware hack.

#20 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:52 AM

I think he's referring to complete themes, and not partial themes.

Well I thought that was what he was talking about too, but I still think there should be one and only one Apple theme.

Apple seems to disagree since they're constantly changing it. ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***