230 replies to this topic

#221 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:22 PM

2. Performance isnít that bad, not great, but not terrible. Graphics settings donít seem to make a lot of difference, with the exception of viewing distance, which slows things a at max for some maps. The pacific levels, however, dip to slideshow territory. Must be all the water. I prefer the desert maps anyway!
i'm running the same mhz comp as you, but i do fine on water levels... infact they're rather smooth.  Performance offline is good, but wait till u go online.

Hopefully performance improves - no AI to run. Please say yes?! :-?

3. Sound is buggy. I keep losing effects here and there, e.g. no reload sounds, engines go, footsteps come and go. Maybe itís lack of CPU again, but strangely the sounds in Desert Combat seem to work OK.
check what sound quality you're running.  if you bump up the quality of sound, your performance may go down quite a bit.
I've got the sound on the lowest settings, so I guess I'll have to live with it.

...there seems to be a problem with the ground textures, and sometimes the tank textures.  When I'm walking around the ground tends to flash between the normal texture and black polygons at seemingly random times.
This happens sometimes if I move my mouse too fast. Basically the Vid card doesn't have time to render everything going on.

Also, in one of the allied tanks (don't know which one, it has a rifle pivot up top for a 2nd player, and a 1st player cannon that only rotates probably 15 degrees left or right from dead straight view) if you swivel the cannon all the way to the left, a large black polygon starts flashing on the left side of the tank view (this is from the inside of the tank view) completely blocking the tank texture, and partly obscuring the actual view.  If there is a way to take a screenshot in BF:1942, I'll try and get one tonight or tomorrow to demonstrate my point.  I guess I should try and turn the texture quality down a notch as well, and see if that fixes it.  Oh, this was on 10.3.4, but it also happens in 10.3.5.
You mean like this?
http://homepage.mac....942Picture1.jpg
Weird, isn't it, and a tad annoying. Graphics settings don't make any difference. Press F13 for a screenshot.

Just one question. Why is the game called "Battlefield 1942" when it covers everything from the Battle of Britain (1940), to the fall of Berlin (1945)? Why the "1942", specifically?

#222 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:51 PM

You mean like this?
Weird, isn't it, and a tad annoying. Graphics settings don't make any difference.

I get that too. I suspect it's a chunk of the tank that pops through.

#223 Bundy

Bundy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

I'm pissed off.  I haven't gotten this game to get above 30 FPS, ever.

Lowest settings possible, lowest resolution, all other apps quit... on a 1 GHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 with 1024 megs of memory.  This sucks ass, for this old of a game.  I even reinstalled the game, then my whole system.

I have to think there must be a bug somewhere, or that I'm missing something huge.

#224 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

I'm pissed off.  I haven't gotten this game to get above 30 FPS, ever.

I played on an upgraded 1ghz G4 for awhile. I never really payed attention to framerates on it. As long as I stayed on servers with small groups of people the game was playable. It was the presence of large groups of people that seemed to slow the game down.

It also seems to be map dependent too. Urban maps really got choppy on that machine. The more open maps with large hills played nicely for me.

#225 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:21 PM

You mean like this?
Weird, isn't it, and a tad annoying. Graphics settings don't make any difference.

I get that too. I suspect it's a chunk of the tank that pops through.

Yup, thats the one...

#226 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

...there seems to be a problem with the ground textures, and sometimes the tank textures.  When I'm walking around the ground tends to flash between the normal texture and black polygons at seemingly random times.
This happens sometimes if I move my mouse too fast. Basically the Vid card doesn't have time to render everything going on.

Hmm...it happens to me usually when I'm just running along, and not even changing my view that much.  I doubt its that the video card can't keep up.

#227 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:11 PM

Hmm...it happens to me usually when I'm just running along, and not even changing my view that much.  I doubt its that the video card can't keep up.
BF1942 is rather proccessor intensive.  I can play around with the resolution and receive no frame rate loss.  you'll need alot more mhz, than 800, to play w/o the "bug".
"Nothing here but us text"

#228 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

Has anyone heard anything about a patch to address issues like the weapon change and 'spawn point not selected' bugs? Aspyr tech support don't reply to my emails.

#229 roastedpeanuts

roastedpeanuts

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:13 AM

Just one question. Why is the game called "Battlefield 1942" when it covers everything from the Battle of Britain (1940), to the fall of Berlin (1945)? Why the "1942", specifically?

Because Battlefield 1942 is catchier than "Battlefield's from 1940 to 1945. =)

Quick question... I'm running a dual 1.42 G4, with a radeon 9000 and a gig of ram. How playable will this game play?
I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

#230 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:33 AM

BF1942 is rather proccessor intensive.  I can play around with the resolution and receive no frame rate loss.  you'll need alot more mhz, than 800, to play w/o the "bug".

The problem with that logic is that I have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 :-D   This didn't happen before on my Dual 1Ghz G4, but I didn't have all the graphics options turned up.  I didn't have time last night to test out the texture quality settings, but hopefully will have time tonight.

#231 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

but you can play with 20+ ppl on a server and call it playable.  with 800mhz, i'd be happy if 10 ppl was playable :o  so  guess it explains it somewhat... mb...  or mb it's all just (un)wishful thinking?
"Nothing here but us text"