230 replies to this topic

#21 trushton

trushton

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

To turn off the movies you want, just remove the .bik files you want to skip from the "movies" subfolder - they should be clearly marked there. I don't think this will have any repercussions...

#22 Ganoen

Ganoen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

I've been pretty impressed with 1942 so far. The physics are fun and bouncy, except for the infantry (for some reason even small falls hurt them). I've had zero performance problems, but I'm a lucky dog: 1.8 GHz G5, 1 GB RAM, 64 MB VRAM. I've only tried medium detail so far, but I'm going to try high soon.

The only complaint I have is that map load times are long. I've had a crash so far too, but unfortunately I have no log and nothing special was happening at the time. Just driving a vehicle.

Lastly: how do you get a joystick to work with the planes? I have a Cyborg USB. The BF1942 setup doesn't say anything about joysticks, just the mouse, and I don't know how (if it's possible) to get the joystick to provide mouse input.

#23 choquito

choquito

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:44 PM

Anyone have a clue how this would run on a MDD 1.25 with 1.75 gigs ram and a radeon 9000 pro?  Or anyone with a similar setup?  Most of you guys posting all have dual 2ghz g5s :)

I've been playing on the preview beta with an MDD 1.25, Radeon 9000, and 1.5gb RAM. Runs pretty well for me. Some servers are a little laggy, but otherwise, this game runs well for me. I have graphics on medium and I'm playing on a 20" cinema display at native resolution.

Hope that helps. I wonder if something got screwed up between the beta release and the final though...

#24 stevep63

stevep63

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

About the joysticks, DO NOT get or use a Saitek Cyborg 3D  with this game! It does not work at all. A friend who has the game and also a G5 like mine recommended the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Not only does it look and feel awesome, but it works with BF PERFECTLY. No software to install either. Just plug it in and it goes!

Now, has anyone had problems setting up an alternate key? I can't get an alternate key to work with anything! Every time I set up an alternate key and hit Save, the 2nd key disappears. Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

-SJ

#25 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

i hope i found a happy median for playing and still looking good.....gfx and textures at full length everything else off and very lil distance.....and no sound

#26 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:30 PM

ok, i finally played the single player stuff.  shockingly, it runs ALOT smoother for me than multiplayer...  you'd think the opposite, huh?

(my specs are earlier in this thread)
"Nothing here but us text"

#27 Heatseeker2

Heatseeker2

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:44 PM

Now if only i could bind mouse 4 and 5 on my bluetooth mouse and the command key into the controls that would make me very happy. I have had no problems running on high settings with a 768 mb ram 1.6 g5 with 5200 64mb nvidia card. I haven't tried plugging in my joystick just yet. Too bad my old Gravis Firebird wont work with newer machines.

#28 Nolem

Nolem

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:51 PM

anybody tried playing offline, with bots?  I hear their not the brightest...

#29 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:22 AM

About the joysticks, DO NOT get or use a Saitek Cyborg 3D  with this game! It does not work at all.

It would seem that's the case. I'm having very little success with my Saitek joystick right now. (I was asking about it in Troubleshooting)

I've been trying to manually set up the joystick in the Air.con file. Does anyone happen to know what format is needed to set up a new joystick axis? So far I haven't had any success finding what to write in for it.

#30 JackSparks

JackSparks

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:35 AM

where'd ya pick up a copy of the game? both my local compUSA, Fry's and Apple Store don't have it yet. i can't beleive i'm so impatient to get my hands on this game. I'm down in southern CA and saw that you too live in Ahnuldland.  

I can't think of any other place that sells mac games.  

Thanks,

jack

#31 wilt666

wilt666

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:45 AM

it runs far better on mine in multi than single.. but that was to be expected. multi player plays well wityh no slow down or lag although i have not played everymap yet so it might slow down on some of the bigger ones.
running at
1600x1200, medium graphics on a dual 1gig G4, 1024mb ram, nvidia 128mbTi, 23" Apple Display, 1.5mb dsl
ordering G5 dual 2gig with nvidia 6800 Ultra v soon. that should  allow everything to be turned up to MAX
8)

#32 Khral

Khral

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:10 AM

MightySlugMan, that's odd since bots take up a considerable amount of CPU for the AI. And adding a lot of 'em makes it worse. Do you have your bot count at or higher than 100% and AI CPU level to maximum (25% I think)? If not, try it out and see if it kills your framerates. Those would be the "normal" settings.

Nolem, I've been playing with the bots and I can safely say they are in fact retarded. Well the thing is you can increase their intelligence level in addition to choosing your skill level, but that just ends up killing your performance (see above). And even at the highest intelligence level they're not too bright.

Let's face it, the game was mainly built to be played in a multiplayer environment. But that doesn't mean you can't practice offline. It's still a good way to have fun and blast the hell out of bots to relieve stress. Or if you want to test mods out before you go online with 'em etc.

#33 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

For those in the Boston area: I picked up my copy at the Brighton CompUSSR yesterday (Friday). It was even in the Mac games section (not PC). Shocka!

Will probably install and test tonight on my dual 2Ghz G5, excepting my hangover doesn't last all day. Regardless, I don't expect any performance problems. Perhaps from me, but at least not the game. ;-)

Atticus

PS--Logitech Extreme 3D Pro = good, Saitek Cyborg = bad. Got it.

#34 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:44 AM

MightySlugMan, that's odd since bots take up a considerable amount of CPU for the AI. And adding a lot of 'em makes it worse. Do you have your bot count at or higher than 100% and AI CPU level to maximum (25% I think)? If not, try it out and see if it kills your framerates. Those would be the "normal" settings.

yea, i had it on 10%, but i've had the bot count over 100%.  Changing the CPU load makes a big diffrence, however, in fps.  What exactly does increasing/decreasing the CPU load do for the bots?  Either way they're dumb :o

Atticus, my friend picked his up in Brighton, they had 6 copies left when he got it :o  I got mine at the Woburn CompUSA.  You can check the CompUSA website to see if your local CompUSA has it in stock.

#35 choquito

choquito

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

Well, I posted last night that my performance was fine on a dual 1.25 MDD... That's definitely not the case now. the only thing I changed was I downloaded and installed the Desert Combat mod. Before doing that I had good FPS and little lag online. Afterward, tons of lag and everything felt like it was in slow motion...

Just wanted to let folks now. I'm going to uninstall Desert Combat and see if that changes anything.

**EDIT: Um, don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I restarted my machine and everything runs smooth now. Had the machine up without a restart for about 3 weeks, so must have had a memory leak or something.

Anyway, if people are having performance problems don't forget the basic stuff like me.

#36 Ganoen

Ganoen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 05:42 PM

Has anyone tried the Star Wars Galactic Conquest mod yet?

#37 MacFly

MacFly

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

I got the game yesterday and so far its pretty fun. I've only been farting around in single player so far and I guess the performance is ok. The feel of the game is very arcadish compared to COD. The textures are pretty bland also. What irritates me is I can't get either of my joysticks to work. I've got a CH Products Combat Stick and a Seitek 3d and neither will work. This blows big chunks if they are not supported. Do any of you think USB Overdrive will help?
Thanks for any help.

MacFly

#38 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:12 PM

ack, why are people comparing CoD and BF1942?? the only similarity they share is the setting!!

#39 Khral

Khral

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:17 PM

yea, i had it on 10%, but i've had the bot count over 100%.  Changing the CPU load makes a big diffrence, however, in fps.  What exactly does increasing/decreasing the CPU load do for the bots?  Either way they're dumb :o.

You know, I'm not sure I really do notice a difference between increasing the CPU load for the AI. I have occasionally noticed that bots who fly planes tend to crash and get themselved killed sometimes at the 10% level. They sometimes effectively wipe out their own teammates on occasion. Their reaction time also seems slower when acquiring targets. But I don't know, these may vary from map to map.

My guess would be that it increases the complexity of the path nodes used for the bots. So rather than going from point A to point B in a straight line (or stopping so many times to calculate the next move), it sets itself up with more waypoints seamlessly to make it feel more human-like. It's hard to really tell though. I'm going to try setting the difficulty a little higher to see if they act less retarded, while keeping the CPU down to 10%.

#40 MadMoose

MadMoose

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:38 PM

I had to use USB overdrive to get my HOTAS Cougar to work, and my brother's stick (Saitek X45?) won't work even with it.

It runs around 30 fps for me on my 1.467 Ghz G4 with Radeon 8500 on medium sized servers, around 40 or less people. Great game except the maps are really too small for planes.

Get Desert Combat! it's awesome and the helicopters are a lot of fun.
Any news on other mods? I want Eve of destruction(vietnam), Forgotten Hope and Galactic Conquest(star wars)  :lol: