230 replies to this topic

#1 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

Ok. beautiful port, great game worth the money BUT i have a conenction of average 2.21 MBps, thats fast, and i still have a connection lag on almost every server even if i ping 50. Im pretty sure it is jst a conenction lag because all it is doin is yankin me back every now and then not slide showing (fps lag)

#2 CannonFodder

CannonFodder

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:42 PM

Ok. beautiful port, great game worth the money BUT i have a conenction of average 2.21 MBps, thats fast, and i still have a connection lag on almost every server even if i ping 50. Im pretty sure it is jst a conenction lag because all it is doin is yankin me back every now and then not slide showing (fps lag)

Your UPSTREAM is 2.21 Mbps? It may very well be PunkBuster trying to update as well.  Try using the pbweb.app as you would in any other PB enabled game and make certain you have the latest updates.  Then try the game again....

Glad you got your copy and are pleased with it.. While I have a copy on my PC, I can't wait to be able to play it on my Mac from now on ;)

#3 FoxDog175

FoxDog175

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 05:45 PM

Im pretty sure it is jst a conenction lag because all it is doin is yankin me back every now and then not slide showing (fps lag)

Same here.  I wasn't sure if this was supposed to happen because it happened so often.  I could be standing, not hitting any keys, and I'd sidestep or move backwards.  Very odd...

#4 BloodSport

BloodSport

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Anyone have a clue how this would run on a MDD 1.25 with 1.75 gigs ram and a radeon 9000 pro?  Or anyone with a similar setup?  Most of you guys posting all have dual 2ghz g5s :)

#5 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:20 PM

All i can say is, don't try it on anything less than what the minimum requirements are. Even then, that could be pushing it. My 800mhz G4 iMac, 32mb Geforce 4MX, 512 RAM, just doesn't cut it, even with sound off. When there's even the smallest action going on, the keyboard/mouse becomes rather slow to respond, if at all at some points (making swithing weapons difficult, if not impossible). The mouse also jumps around during battles, and tries to move back to where you were originally looking. Oh well, unless there's a big performance increase patch in the making, I guess I'll just have to shelve it till I scrap togeher enough money for a new comp.
"Nothing here but us text"

#6 FoxDog175

FoxDog175

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

Is the key response supposed to be like this aboard boats?  The last game I joined was *so* bad.  I'd press a key and 3-5 seconds later, my movement would respond.  I couldn't even climb the ladder on the destroyer.  It's very odd.  The only response trouble I saw was movement, and usually on boats.  Projectory was fine (shooting rockets, guns, etc.).  Anyone else seeing this prob?

#7 macenthusiast

macenthusiast

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

must be a problem with the mac port. Maybe it will be fixed in an update. There are no problems like this of any kind on the pc side.

#8 jasonparks

jasonparks

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

I was so excited to get the game this afternoon. But after I load each map the game freezes and crashes. Once I was able to play for about 30 seconds, which only added to my frustration when it crashed to the menu screen.

I'm worried that it might be a problem with my radeon 9000. But I play MOH with absolutely no problems.  

OSX 10.2.8
1.47 Ghz
1 Gb ram
radeon 9000 128MB

:oops:

#9 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:13 AM

Im starting to think it is just a gfx lag....:( which sucks real bad because i dont ave any money to upgrade and i thoguht id be fine with my 1.25 gig G4 , GeForce4 ti 128mb ..1 gig RAM :(:(

#10 Ishmoo

Ishmoo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:39 AM

Hmm, so for those people close to the min. requirements, what would you say? I'm on a PBG4, and while my clock speed is just under (800 vs 867) my RAM is nicely over (768 vs 256) with I believe the recommended video card. Any other Powerbook owners out there playing this yet? Hope the performance issues mentioned above are fixable!

#11 dgallina

dgallina

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:30 AM

I haven't seen any of these graphic or network lag problems so far.  Running on a Dual 1.8ghz G5 with ATI Radeon 9600, 1 gig ram, 3megabit cable connection.

Haven't had the guts to try it on my dual 866mhz MDD g4 yet to see how it does there :-)

#12 ScarY|

ScarY|

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:56 AM

All i can say is, don't try it on anything less than what the minimum requirements are. Even then, that could be pushing it. My 800mhz G4 iMac, 32mb Geforce 4MX, 512 RAM, just doesn't cut it, even with sound off. When there's even the smallest action going on, the keyboard/mouse becomes rather slow to respond, if at all at some points (making swithing weapons difficult, if not impossible). The mouse also jumps around during battles, and tries to move back to where you were originally looking. Oh well, unless there's a big performance increase patch in the making, I guess I'll just have to shelve it till I scrap togeher enough money for a new comp.
sad to hear. guess i wont be able to play on my computer...

man i wish i had a G5, mine struggles with AA on normal settings :(

#13 carl

carl

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:08 AM

i have got this game on order,  i have a power mac g4  1ghz  512meg  nvidia geforce4 mx 64 meg card ,  will it run ok i hope so or i am going to sell my mac and get a top of the range pc.  :-?

#14 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

Is the key response supposed to be like this aboard boats?  The last game I joined was *so* bad.  I'd press a key and 3-5 seconds later, my movement would respond.  I couldn't even climb the ladder on the destroyer.  It's very odd.  The only response trouble I saw was movement, and usually on boats.  Projectory was fine (shooting rockets, guns, etc.).  Anyone else seeing this prob?
I played the PC version, and when boats are moving, it can be very hard to move around on them.  I was playing on a gaming PC (at an internet cafe ;)) with a really good connection so i don't think it's something with the port or the lag or gfx issues.

IMO, if want to play the game well, I think a 1ghz comp with 64mb VRAM should run the game well on semi-low settings without too much of a problem.  But that's just a hunch.
"Nothing here but us text"

#15 dstunbound

dstunbound

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:04 PM

Carl, please respond after you get it and let me know how it's going for you. I have the same specs, except with 1 gig RAM, but everything else the same. Based on other peoples' posts, I'm a bit sceptical to whether this will be worht getting. Let us know for sure! Thanks.

#16 carl

carl

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

yes dstunbond i will let you know,but i feel upset because i paid 1.300  pounds for this power mac only  12 months ago  with the 17inch monitor , and i have an apple care warenty 2 more years on it  , and all games coming out now look like there not going to run on my mac,  and the only game i really wont is battlefield 1942 ,  i can sell my mac for 1000 pounds  go out and buy a top of the range pc and battlefield  1942 , and  battlefield vietnam  and they will run very  fast  on the pc,  and i am not going to buy a a g5 just to play this  game , they make to many macs to fast , so games on the mac are being made for the mac that going to come out next week not the one  you buy today.   :sad:

#17 TC2000

TC2000

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:39 PM

Woohoo!!! Got my copy of bf1942 from IMG today. First thing I did when I got home from work was install it and give it a test run. Now the bad news.....it runs like crap on my PowerBook 867Mhz :( Even with the settings on lowest it doesnt play that well. Resolution at 896x600 or 800x600, Radeon8500 and 512Mb RAM. I was hoping it would be at least equal in performance to CoD but nope. Anyone have any performance hints I can try???

#18 loneAzdgari

loneAzdgari

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 1278 posts
  • Location:That layer of crap on the floor after a house party

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

yes dstunbond i will let you know,but i feel upset because i paid 1.300  pounds for this power mac only  12 months ago  with the 17inch monitor , and i have an apple care warenty 2 more years on it  , and all games coming out now look like there not going to run on my mac,  and the only game i really wont is battlefield 1942 ,  i can sell my mac for 1000 pounds  go out and buy a top of the range pc and battlefield  1942 , and  battlefield vietnam  and they will run very  fast  on the pc,  and i am not going to buy a a g5 just to play this  game , they make to many macs to fast , so games on the mac are being made for the mac that going to come out next week not the one  you buy today.   :sad:

Learn to fire trucking type!!

#19 zwiebel

zwiebel

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:04 PM

First the specs:
Mac - Quicksilver G4/933, 1.5GB RAM, stock Nvid 64MB
PC - AMD XP2000 (~1.6GHz), 512MB RAM, Nvid 5200 128MB
Resolution: 1024x768 @32, medium settings, 11kHz audio (still sounded good)

I honestly cannot tell the difference in perceived speed. The game looks and runs identically on both platforms (even the slow-as-molasses loading "Campaign" single player games). I have experienced choppiness here and there, but I was expecting it, knowing how the PC version runs. One oddity, however, was when I first run the game, all video settings where set to the lowest setting possible. Hmm, forgot to see if my joystick works...

DC mod works great, off and online.

When comparing CoD to BF1942, however, I have to say that CoD runs like silk in comparison to BF1942. More or less, I believe, it has to do with the game engine itself.

All in all a good investment.

#20 Khral

Khral

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

I grabbed my copy from CompUSSR this morning. Installation was painless--it took a lot less time than I thought it would. But I guess that was because it was from a DVD. Upon starting up the game I was introduced with a bunch of logos flying across my screen and an introduction movie.

Yeah, so let's talk about that. They're annoying. You can only skip through one or two of 'em via the escape key, but you're forced to watch all the logos and title screens flash across your screen. It's fine for the first time but it becomes a pain later on when you've already seen it a hundred times.

If there's any way to turn off the intro movies let me know. Thanks. Besides that I was very pleased with the game. I'm hoping future updates will improve performance, since I too experienced a few hiccups here and there on my 1GHZ 12-inch PowerBook, but it's still very much playable.

If you're on a PowerBook, set your screen resolution to 800x600. I can't explain why but keeping it at this setting yields the highest framerates. My texture quality also had absolutely no effect on my framerates. So I said what the heck and left it at maximum quality.

A high viewable distance setting can be helpful for snipers, but it's also the one setting that eats up the most frames. So keep this low. You may want to avoid flying aircraft at the lowest setting, 'cause it's really hard to find any targets on time with the culling fog right up against your face.

If you want to do some additional tweaking yourself, pull down the console (tilde key) and type "fps 1". You should get an FPS indicator (along with a line graph) on your screen. I also checked the data files saved by BF 1942 in the Documents folder with TextEdit.

Unfortunately there aren't any advanced tweaking options in these files that aren't already in the in-game menus. So don't bother with those. While there is a menu you can bring up while holding down command during startup, that too is limited.

So, after all is said and done I really think BF 1942 is yet another high quality product unleashed by Aspyr. If they can continue to optimize the code even the smallest bit with future updates, I shall have to ask them to have my babies. Excellent job.