• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:10 PM

Hang on the 1.8 does not use the 1.6 mboard at
all. its a faster frontside bus 1st off and will take
8gig of ram thankyou.

Bzzzt, wrong.

The new dual 1.8 maxes out at 4 GBs.  And uses standard PCI slots, not PCI-X slots.

http://www.apple.com...rmac/specs.html

Sure, it has a faster frontside bus but that's because of the processor.  For all we know all the motherboards are capable of running extremely high FSB speeds but the actual speed used ends up being decided by the processors used.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#22 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:16 PM

I love my 1.6GHz G5!

#23 Daveg5

Daveg5

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 03:33 PM

The 1.8 can only hold 4GB.
should hold 8 when expensive 2GB dimms come out
I dont consider these rev 2's still rev 1's with different processors and smaller motherboards, thats all, I think the rev 2's will open up more space for harddrive and maybe have PCI Express and faster memory, more memory slots. 12 vs 8 JMHO

#24 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:41 PM

I dont consider these rev 2's still rev 1's with different processors and smaller motherboards, thats all, I think the rev 2's will open up more space for harddrive and maybe have PCI Express and faster memory, more memory slots. 12 vs 8 JMHO

The motherboard appears to be the same size, contrary to the rumor sites.  And the way that Apple denotes revisions, this would be Rev. 2.  Rev. 3 will possibly be a case modification (looking at past history, typically a case lasts 2-3 hardware upgrades before the case changes).
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#25 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:38 PM

Mango, quit bitching. You're probably like all the other zealots teary eyed because "STEVE PROMISED ME A 3 GHZ G5!" and shaking your fist in rage. You feel betrayed, sad, frustrated all because a computer didn't go 500 MHz faster?  Grow up.  

As stated tiskippy, these are "Pro" machines. I'll be using mine for complex audio work and multimedia projects. The fact it plays games just happens to be an added bonus.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the processor upgrades. And I'm not a zealot, I'm a realist. The video cards are under-powered. I have three friends who work as 3D artists in the video game industry (two of them for EA), and they all laugh at the video cards in the two low-end G5s. They just don't understand why Apple charges so much for a crippled machine. And all three of them are former Mac users. They love the OS but they dumped the platform because of cost and performance. They use Maya at work and require powerful video cards.

The G5 is great for web design, multimedia, audio, and Photoshop. But the Nvidia card is not a pro card. The G5 is supposed to be a pro machine. There is no getting around that. So quit your bitching about my bitching.

#26 Shi'an

Shi'an

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:04 AM

I just like the sound of "Liquid Cooled"!
These speed bumps are the same as any other Apple Speed bump.
Nice to have newer machines but not what all the zelots wanted because they are still limited by our current laws of physics and dynamics  :-D

I'm still hapy running on my old G3 at home and G4 at work.
I'll get a G5 one day, maybe when the min specs for the internet are increased again  :wink:
Well you know you've taken gaming too far when you consider a birthday to be a "level up" and your kids as "NPCs"!
"The Battle Cat"

In search of the Perfect Game!

#27 Daveg5

Daveg5

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:38 AM

Is the Dual 2GHZ exactly the same as the old one except for a lower price and lesser video card. I believe only the 2.5GHZ has the new 90mm G5 processor.
Anyone know for sure.

#28 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:07 AM

Actually, what I'd like to know is what the Dual 2 & 2.5 GHz G5s get on the Halo time demo @ 1024x768 with everything maxed (except lens flare and FSAA, of course).  Although we probably won't get numbers for the 2.5 GHz G5, I bet some of you have Dual 2's and you might have this info handy.  Any takers?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#29 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

The motherboard appears to be the same size, contrary to the rumor sites.  And the way that Apple denotes revisions, this would be Rev. 2.  Rev. 3 will possibly be a case modification (looking at past history, typically a case lasts 2-3 hardware upgrades before the case changes).

Maybe I'm delerious but it looks like Apple subtly changed the grill on the G5 to be a tighter mesh, it doesn't look so much like a cheese grater anymore...This could be the caffeine talking however.
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#30 Disc

Disc

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

Hi
sorry yes your right new G5 1.8 is 4 of gig ram...

So if you have the old 8gig ram version your better
off....

My 1.8s at least that takes the 8 gig of ram which I
think may make it hold its value a bit better..

Not sure what to make of the options though or the
new pricing.

Now when are the new iMacs a comming any bets?

also hope to of talked a guy at work to get an eMac...
Mac Pro powered...

#31 Daveg5

Daveg5

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

Well here are the 100% stupid rumors that I have been hearing about the upcoming Imacs and Powermac G4 duals.
Imacs will have 64MB Ultra 5200 with 128MB Radeon 9xxx series as an option a detachable and pivoting screen and PC-card or 1 PCI-slot with 2 models, one with a 15.2 (powerbook screen) and one with a 17" screen and a possible low-cost 3rd model without any screen and possible 1.33-1.5 G4. All will have 4 memory slots, except headless model with 2 slots respectively. there may be a price drop or processor change on the venerable Powermac G4 dual to either lower costs or to keep it selling at the current rate.
Imac G5 1.6 15.2 $1299 Combo  Imac G5 1.8 17 $1599 combo
Imac G4 15.2 De-Cap $999 combo
Powermac G4 Dual $1399 Combo with possible processor change

#32 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

Can you please use complete sentences, proper grammar and punctuation? It is frustrating and difficult to read your posts.
I live in Mexifornia.

#33 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:47 PM

Can you please use complete sentences, proper grammar and punctuation? It is frustrating and difficult to read your posts.

I second that.   :smile:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#34 try again...

try again...

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:46 PM

People waited for so long for an update and this is what they get...Such a bs lineup. Do us a favor, ditch your macs and get a real computer.

<Windows Xp owns Joo>
You know what, you're right! I'm getting PO'd with these unfrequent major updates, and I think I'll join the land of BSODs, viruses, OS Security updates every 10 seconds, driver conflicts, DRM, and headaches! This makes me wonder why I ever used  Macs in the first place!

#35 enathan1085

enathan1085

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:50 PM

People waited for so long for an update and this is what they get...Such a bs lineup. Do us a favor, ditch your macs and get a real computer.

<Windows Xp owns Joo>
You know what, you're right! I'm getting PO'd with these unfrequent major updates, and I think I'll join the land of BSODs, viruses, OS Security updates every 10 seconds, driver conflicts, DRM, and headaches! This makes me wonder why I ever used  Macs in the first place!

haha exactly i would definitely get a "real computer" IF i soley wanted to play video games and never let my "real computer" get within 15 feet of any form of internet connection.  ::sigh:: windows users must be getting very bored with their uber-fast "real computers" since they're now trolling the mac gaming sites offering their heartfelt advice and sincerest efforts to help.  :roll:

#36 wyvern

wyvern

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

Don't let that moron blind you to the advantages of the Other Side. I just spent $1,000 on a new PC that'd be hard to out-do, game performance wise, with a Mac, no matter how much you spend. Not only do I get easy and inexpensive upgrades, I get access to a huge game library.

If you're serious about gaming, get a less expensive Mac and buy a PC instead. Chances are, you don't really need all that power for non-gaming needs. Certainly there are exceptions... Greg probably will be running some high-end audio applications that deserve the computational muscle he shelled out for. But most of you chumps don't do much of anything that requires a powerful CPU with your computer if you're not gaming, I can guarantee that.

Also, Windowx XP is completely incorrect. Windows XP is utter crap. PC hardware, on the other hand, is excellent.

#37 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

<Windows Xp owns Joo>

So, which IMG Chat user decided to make himself another account?
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#38 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:26 AM

So, which IMG Chat user decided to make himself another account?
Does that matter? Just ban the troll already. :roll:
Down with the Sickness

#39 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:57 AM

If you're serious about gaming, get a less expensive Mac and buy a PC instead. Chances are, you don't really need all that power for non-gaming needs. Certainly there are exceptions... Greg probably will be running some high-end audio applications that deserve the computational muscle he shelled out for. But most of you chumps don't do much of anything that requires a powerful CPU with your computer if you're not gaming, I can guarantee that.
Personally, i usually go for a higher end model because they have a much longer usable life. I paid myself sick getting a maxed out PB G3 300 some five-six years ago, and until two weeks ago it was my primary computer that ran the latest MacOS well enough for daily use (and well enough to play games like Civ III and Europa Universalis II). Over five years, the initial investment isn't so bad compared to buying lower end models and having to upgrade once a year or two years.

That more than the gaming performance was the reason i went for an almost maxed out 15" PB G4 (almost because i've 'only' got 1GB instead of 2GB RAM :P ).

Also, Windowx XP is completely incorrect. Windows XP is utter crap. PC hardware, on the other hand, is excellent.
Oh, that i agree with. XP is a piece of sh!te that i unfortunately will have to work with when i go back to work, whereas if you know what to look for you can find some excellent hardware.

#40 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:35 AM

<Windows Xp owns Joo>

Yes... ok... the poor child. I guess this is the part where we all roll around in laughter.

Kiel :-)