Riven Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hey guys.  First post here, but I'll get right to it.

In preparation for Mac Uru and Myst IV, I am replaying the old Myst games.  I have no problem running Myst 1.01 in Classic, however, when I run Riven in Classic I get some strange sound problems.  About every 3 seconds I hear a stuttering in the music/ambient noise.  It is absolutely driving me crazy.

Anyone figured out a work around.  I have even tried the 'full install' version and it doesn't change anything.  In the config files  you can alter the bit rate of the music, but if anything changing those numbers seems to make it worse.  Any suggestions?

#2 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:55 PM

<<<<<BUMP>>>>>

I refuse to believe that no one has tried to play Riven in OS X.  Someone else must have run into this problem.

#3 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:18 PM

The little I've played Riven in Panther (just checking that it works), I never had any problems.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#4 JayCo

JayCo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:59 PM

:evil: I have not been able to install Riven DVD on either my eMac or my Powerbook.
I get a screen message that states: "Some files Riven DVD are unavaliable. Please reinstall Riven DVD".
The problem I'm haven't even "seen" the install screen.
What gives?

#5 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

Huh.... my sound issue may be an iMac G4 specific problem then.  I'm installing Riven off of the CD version (the 5 CD's).... not the DVD version, so the problem your having is probably due to that difference.

Try doing the "full install" of Riven.  Meaning the install without any disks required.  Here is a link to how to do it:

http://www.mystrealm...sp?TOPIC_ID=811

You may be able to modify the logic presented here to work with your DVD version.  Doing the "full install" doesn't fix my sound problem.

I'll keep working on it.

#6 griel

griel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:24 PM

It probably won't help but to get the pc version of riven to run on xp I had to install an old version (3 I think) of quicktime.

Can you boot into os9 on your iMac? If so do you still get the sound problem?

#7 JayCo

JayCo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:26 PM

Well, I was able to install Riven using the "old" 5 CD/ROM's onto my Powerbook. Kind of irritating to do it this way; as the game keeps asking to change discs as you play the game.

#8 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

So....it was playable and there was not any sound problems?

Huh.... this definitely must be an iMac G4 issue then...

This was with the 5 CD version of Riven as well.

#9 JayCo

JayCo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:12 AM

:x UbiSoft (the makers of Myst/Riven) wrote back to me and stated that Riven WILL NOT run under OS X "at all" only OS 9. I had no problems running Myst with Classic OS 9 on either my eMac or Powerbook. Both have Panther.

Also that "Myst Exile" will run on OS X, but only under 10.1  

This is really a problem with software companies. They advertise and produce software for the Mac, but it really doesn't work under current OS systems.

So, before I buy anymore gaming software, I"ll go to the Apple Store, have them load the game into a Mac (eMac, iMac, etc) and see if it works!!!

#10 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

I know that Riven doesn't run under OS X natively, but it should in Classic.  When I run it in Classic there is a definite problem.

I played this game before when it first came out (on my beige G3 tower), but that was in native OS 9 (actually it was 8.1, but whatever).

I'll reiterate what the problem is.

When I run Riven in Classic (in OS X) I get a problem with the sound.  It is intermittent.  Since, apparently, some of you run it in Classic without problems I am assuming that this is an iMac G4 specific thing.

#11 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

Myst runs fine in Classic (I have panther as well).  My problem is just with Riven.

#12 JayCo

JayCo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:56 PM

I should clarify that I'm refering to the Myst/Riven/Myst Exile DVD. I'm currently running the CD version of Riven and having no problems. The sound & video are excellant.

The DVD version of Myst ran without problems. I'll keep you posted if Myst Exile works or not. Maybe I'll have to resort to my son's PC in order to play the game....gasp!

#13 Xenophanes

Xenophanes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

Interesting.  I have not had any problems running Myst III on Panther.

Hope it works for you.

#14 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:56 PM

Interesting.  I have not had any problems running Myst III on Panther.

Same here.  But under no circumstances should you run the OS X executable for the game, though.  It is unstable.  (Hmm, might that be what they mean when they it requires 10.1?)  Running the OS 9 version under Classic in Panther worked great.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.