two-player macmame: usb gamepad that works?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 citric

citric

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything.

My girl and I are trying to play two players on MacMame. I tried Logitech's Dual Action gamepads, but no go; although one-player works perfectly, two-player does not, no matter which controller or which port I use. Once I configure a controller to be 'player 2' it basically stops responding, and for all games.

So I was looking at the Smart Joy PS2->USB adapter sold by lik-sang and levelsix, but I haven't found any definitive info on whether it'll work. It's HID-compatible, but I suspect part of the problem is with MacMame.

My question: if you've ever played two-players in MacMame with controllers of some kind, what controllers did you use? We've beaten a few games with the keyboard, but, it sorta sucks.

#2 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:50 PM

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything.

The answer is: it depends. There is a bug in some versions of MacMAME that makes two-player gamepads not work, depending on how you have them mapped and what game you are playing. Without more info to go on, I can't say for sure what problem you might be having.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#3 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

So I was looking at the Smart Joy PS2->USB adapter sold by lik-sang and levelsix

I've got Lik-Sang's 4-port PS2 adapter, and I can connect 2 controllers and use them with no problems. I don't think it supports rumble, though. I've also got two of their 1-port N64/PSX adapters, and that has the same problem plus another where it doesn't recognize simultaneously pressing two directions on a D-pad. I'd recomend both, especially two of the N64 ones if you want to play with two N64 controllers for NES/SNES/Gameboy/N64 games. I found some new MadCat (?) controllers that feel very solid and have a nice texture vs. the original, so I'd also recomend these.

#4 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:48 PM

Had same problem with my dual analog, i bought a gravis pro gamepad, for 15 bucks, and works two player, my logitech and gravis don't go together , but two gravis is fine, with latest version of macmame that is

#5 citric

citric

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

did your gravis have the sticker on back saying "The state of California knows the cord on this product contains lead," wash your hands after using?

because that's why I didn't buy the gravis...

I've posted in a couple other forums really trying to track this down, some people have said that the latest version of MacMame (ends in 'u') has a bug that does that, and downgrading to the second-to-last version can fix the problem.

also someone said they used gamepad companion and that helped (available from versiontracker).

thanks for the replies! I'll take a look at the 4-port PS2 adapter -- if it's also compatible with dancepads, that might be the way to go.

#6 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

Indeed it does. A friend of mine bought one 4 years ago only thing different i noticed was the buttons are different colors, but it did not include that warning, they must of discovered something, cuz now that is on the package.

#7 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:50 PM

I noticed an older verison of macmae I have for os9 gave me no problems with multiplayer and my logitech dual analog

#8 DiGriz

DiGriz

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:35 PM

If you have big bucks to spend, I cannot recomend the XArcade enough.
Got one of these babies last month, and boy they are sweet.