59 replies to this topic

#1 sirgam

sirgam

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

i have Lime Wire and i have seen some Nintendo 64 emulators for the Mac!
before i do anything, i thaught i would ask... do the work?

Also this is a really dumb question, is there any kind of PC emulator for Mac?
i konw the anwser is more than likley NO! but i thaught ile ask.  8)

#2 Boomer

Boomer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:46 AM

Long time ago I got Mario 64 working on my G3. Can't remember what the emulator was called.. maybe it was Sixtyforce 64?

Virtuel PC can emulate pc, but the app costs. And it will not run any demanding games.

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:55 AM

http://emulation.emuscene.com/
http://www.emuscene....m.php?sysid=n64

#4 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

i have Lime Wire and i have seen some Nintendo 64 emulators for the Mac!
before i do anything, i thaught i would ask... do the work?

Also this is a really dumb question, is there any kind of PC emulator for Mac?
i konw the anwser is more than likley NO! but i thaught ile ask.  8)

SixtyForce is the only one I've ever tried, though I believe there are a couple of N64 emulators out there for the Mac.  I've no idea how good they are.

As for the PC, the main emulator everyone uses is VirtualPC.  It's an extremely good emulator - but it's very, very expensive.  Plus, it can't emulate 3D hardware, so the only games you'll be able to play are 2D ones and older 3D games with software renderers.  I've tried Half-Life on it and it was an extremely painful experience, but I used to play Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds loads using it before the Mac version was released.

#5 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:27 PM

do the work?

The only one I've tried is SixtyForce. It doesn't run very well on an iBook, but Mario64 and a few other games are simple enough to be OK. Goldeneye, PerfectDark, and more are awfully slow, though. It'd run a lot better on the fastest PowerMac G4s or a G5 with a good graphics card like a 9600, 9700, or 9800. The other option is if you've got $500, you could build a cheap PC to run Project64 (pj64), which is one of the best for PC.

#6 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:44 PM

The other option is if you've got $500, you could build a cheap PC to run Project64 (pj64), which is one of the best for PC.
Or you could buy a used N64 (Which costs what, $20?) and play the games as they were meant... :roll:
Down with the Sickness

#7 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

Or you could buy a used N64 (Which costs what, $20?) and play the games as they were meant.

I'd rather have better graphics, better sound, better performance in GoldenEye and PerfectDark (even the n64 stutters a bit in these), and the option of using WASD+mouse in the few FPS n64 games. Heck, I've even got an N64 controller hooked up to my PC, so there's no drawback.

#8 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

For once, I actually agree with bobbob on something. Sixtyforce and Project64 (PC) deliver better graphics and sound for games like Perfect Dark than does the Nintendo 64 itself. I played both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark through on the Nintendo 64, and after upgrading my Mac with a better CPU and video card, I was simply amazed at the performance (particularly Perfect Dark) and superbly sharp graphics quality in SixtyForce.

#9 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:28 PM

I like the ability (with the Radeon 9800 retail) to turn on FSAA and anisotropic filtering.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#10 NekoSim

NekoSim

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:30 AM

the option of using WASD+mouse in the few FPS n64 games.

I have a quick question, how do you configure the controls to be WASD+mouse for n64 FPS, such as perfect dark, using sixtyforce?

#11 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:13 AM

how do you configure the controls to be WASD+mouse for n64 FPS, such as perfect dark, using sixtyforce?

I've only done it in Project 64 with DarkMan's input plugin, which is basically set up to specifically do WASD+mouse for certain games. In GoldenEye, what you should try is playing with the game's control layouts (in the watch) until you find one that has the right mappings. I think it puts the mouse axes on the stick and WASD on the d-pad, or something like that. Have fun.

#12 Lt.Page

Lt.Page

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

Or you could buy a used N64 (Which costs what, $20?) and play the games as they were meant.

I'd rather have better graphics, better sound, better performance in GoldenEye and PerfectDark (even the n64 stutters a bit in these), and the option of using WASD+mouse in the few FPS n64 games. Heck, I've even got an N64 controller hooked up to my PC, so there's no drawback.

would it give you better graphics?  i was under the impression that it wouldnt.
Do; or Do Not.  There is no try.
Pat yourself on the back if you know who Lt.Page is.

#13 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

It might be able to run at a higher resolution on your monitor.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 rpg

rpg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:30 AM

pretty much any decent n64 emulator will look leagues and bounds better than the original.  Remember folks, the n64's resolution was 320x240 blown up to fill your tv's 40inch screen.  Triple that, add some texture filtering, and anti-aliasing, and you get this

http://www.geocities...7/fsogl/MQb.jpg

#15 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:19 AM

I've tried out SixtyForce 0.8.0, and it's pretty good, actually.  The thing is, I used 0.6.0 before and the thing couldn't save games or freeze states without crashing, so I'm wondering if that's fixed now (because if it's fixed, I might buy SixtyForce).  Have any of you guys gotten the full version?
InsideMacGames.com

#16 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:03 AM

pretty much any decent n64 emulator will look leagues and bounds better than the original.  Remember folks, the n64's resolution was 320x240 blown up to fill your tv's 40inch screen.  Triple that, add some texture filtering, and anti-aliasing, and you get this
http://www.geocities...7/fsogl/MQb.jpg

I've been playing GoldenEye and Perfect Dark using Project 64 on my brother's PC and the graphics on those games look MUCH better than they did on the N64.

#17 Helix20

Helix20

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

One year on, what's the best N64 emulator out there? Is there anything new and exciting that works well?

#18 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

Sixtyforce:

http://n64.emuscene.com/

#19 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

It's too bad that they haven't updated that for almost a year and a half.
InsideMacGames.com

#20 Helix20

Helix20

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

are there any n64 emulators that have been updated within the last year then?