Help! Old school game runs too fast!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aeh1978

aeh1978

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:44 AM

Okay, this may be truly pathetic, but I just found my old copy of Theme Park (the Bull Frog one from about 10 years ago!) and want desperately to have a good go at it again ... BUT as I am now playing it on a PowerBook G4 rather than an ancient LC475, the game is running so fast (even on the slowest game speed setting) all the rides blow up on me in about 4 seconds!

The only way I got it to slow down a little was by opening virtually every program on my machine and playing a DVD at the same time, but this causes a bit of overheating and makes the sound funny too.

Any ideas? I've been looking for a Mac-compatible speed limiter, but had no luck as yet ... anyone know of something along these lines, a different method of slowing it, or is just plain better than me at searching?!

All help VERY gratefully received!

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2004 - 06:25 AM

Well, the only thing I can think of you've already tried.  If you run it in classic and then open every folder and app that you've got it might run slower, but short of that, the best thing is to pull out that old LC and play it there.  That game was never meant to run on today's computers.  Heck, you should see what Simcity 2000 and Simtower do with my MDD Dual 1.25!   :roll:

btw, probably the best way to slow down your computer would be to create an iMovie (just using stock video clips) and have it render or export while you're playing--that should slow the computer down considerably.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:35 AM

You could try a Mac emulator.  I don't know how well they work but they are supposed to emulate early Macs including their speed.  Unfortunately emulation.net has been down for a couple of months, but google may give you some ideas.

Hmm, might be easier to just pick up a really old Mac for cheap somewhere.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#4 aeh1978

aeh1978

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:19 AM

Well, the only thing I can think of you've already tried.  If you run it in classic and then open every folder and app that you've got it might run slower, but short of that, the best thing is to pull out that old LC and play it there.  That game was never meant to run on today's computers.  Heck, you should see what Simcity 2000 and Simtower do with my MDD Dual 1.25!   :roll:

btw, probably the best way to slow down your computer would be to create an iMovie (just using stock video clips) and have it render or export while you're playing--that should slow the computer down considerably.

Yeah ... I dread to think what my old Sim Tower would do when run on my superdrive!  I'll try the iMovie trick - see if it works any better than running a DVD in the background ... thanks  :lol:

#5 aeh1978

aeh1978

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:21 AM

You could try a Mac emulator.  I don't know how well they work but they are supposed to emulate early Macs including their speed.  Unfortunately emulation.net has been down for a couple of months, but google may give you some ideas.

Hmm, might be easier to just pick up a really old Mac for cheap somewhere.

:smile: Maybe it would!  I wish I hadn't scrapped my LC475 now ... at the least I could sell it as an antique  :lol: