Halo Freezing up way too much...help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floorbum

floorbum

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:50 AM

I am a new mac user and I don't know all the tricks yet....so I am coming here for help!  I bought Halo in January when it came out and for a while it ran great...but now it is freezing up often and there are areas in certain levels that consistenly freeze every time I get to them.  What is up?!  I keep reading stuff about deleting a preferences folder...umm, is that safe?  Should I do it?  Or are there upgrades available?  Or should I just call up MacSoft and complain?!  Please help me out, I'm in the dark.  
all the best,
-floorbum

#2 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

Did you try MacSoft's site to see if there were patches available?  The latest version is 1.04.1.  If you've only been playing the unpatched version you'll notice that newer patches require the CD.

It would help to know your system specs when you're asking for help.  It can sometimes help us pinpoint possible problem areas right away.

One of the typical OS X troubleshooting steps involves repairing disk permissions.  Open up your Disk Utilties app and select your startup drive. Then click the Repair Permissions button.  Let it run (it can take awhile).
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#3 floorbum

floorbum

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

I am running it on a Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz processor, 512MB RAM.  I tried cleaning my prefrences...I will go to MacSoft's website and check out the patches...thanks...can anybody explain to me why deleting the prefrences folder is helpful in some cases?  I come from a Window's background so I am very weary about deleting folders... thanks.
-floorbum

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

The reason why deleting preferences is good is because the files can become corrupted, or (more often) the game just messes them up by using the same files over and over again.  It's perfectly safe to delete the file--it's simply called, "Halo Preferences."  The only thing that deleting it will do that's even remotely bad is reset all of your preferences (but not your savegames)--but you can restore those in a few seconds.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com