RtCW Multiplayer: how many people are still playing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#41 Leo

Leo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:06 AM

Ok I downloaded that punkbuster app from the link provided, but the app doesn't run. I have mac os 10.3.3 if that has anything to do with it.

And I did do a clean install. Deleted it because I always used to have those problems and installed it directly to the 1.4 beta thingy patch. Got it exactly from Aspyr's site. When I do connect to a server and get that error, it does throw a mod folder into my folders. But I tried installing a mod and no luck their either. Guess I am just out of luck with this game.

#42 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

Ok I downloaded that punkbuster app from the link provided, but the app doesn't run. I have mac os 10.3.3 if that has anything to do with it.

And I did do a clean install. Deleted it because I always used to have those problems and installed it directly to the 1.4 beta thingy patch. Got it exactly from Aspyr's site. When I do connect to a server and get that error, it does throw a mod folder into my folders. But I tried installing a mod and no luck their either. Guess I am just out of luck with this game.

How are you trying to run PBWeb?  If it runs like it does for Quake 3 (and it probably does), then PBWeb needs to be inside your ~/Library/Application Support/<whatever the rtcw folder is called>/pb.  If you are running it inside of that, then does it come up with a blank screen when you launch it?  If so, just quit and relaunch it and you should see it print a bunch of text about what the app is, as well as it printing '*' marks as it connects to the Evenbalance website to download the updates.  It will let you know when it's done and if the Quit button doesn't become active than jut cmd-q to get out of the app.  Hope that helps you.

#43 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

Like Drizzt says, make sure PBweb is in the right folder before running it.  Sometimes it takes a while to get started too.  When you say PBweb doesn't run on your computer, what do you mean?  What happens when you start it?

#44 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:48 AM

Unless something has changed very recently, PBWeb has not worked with any version of MOSX 10.3.x yet.

#45 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

I just used it two weeks ago.  I'm running Panther.  It worked fine.  I had just reinstalled RtCW and had some trouble getting onto servers, so I ran PBweb and all was good.

I've also run PBweb with OSX 10.2... and had it work fine.

#46 Leo

Leo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

Ok so I checked inside my /users/me/library/app-support/wolf/ folder but I got nothing called PB, just have demomain folder and servercache.dat. There is no wolf folder in the other library's folder.

I tried to run the PB file out of the PB folder in my wolfenstein folder. When I opened the file, it would bounce in the dock for like half a second then disappear. So it would not run at all really.

#47 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:12 PM

Download PBweb from punkbuster.  Get the mac version.  Put it in your PB folder inside your Wolfenstein folder.  Run it from there.  It can take a few minutes to get started.

I have done this recently with OSX 10.3.3

Sorry if that's repetetive, but I can't tell if you're actually doing this or if you've actually gotten PBweb yet.

#48 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:26 PM

Unless something has changed very recently, PBWeb has not worked with any version of MOSX 10.3.x yet.

It works fine for me for Quake3 updates on 10.3.3.  It's the same version I used in Jag too.  Sometimes I have to do what I mentioned earlier which is launch it once, and when nothing appears in its window, to launch it again to get it to start going.

#49 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:27 PM

Ok so I checked inside my /users/me/library/app-support/wolf/ folder but I got nothing called PB, just have demomain folder and servercache.dat. There is no wolf folder in the other library's folder.

I tried to run the PB file out of the PB folder in my wolfenstein folder. When I opened the file, it would bounce in the dock for like half a second then disappear. So it would not run at all really.

Just for kicks try making a pb folder in your wolf folder under your /users/you/library/app-support/wolf/, and then trying running PBWeb to see if it might be able to sort things out from there.

#50 -=M=-

-=M=-

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:34 PM

There are no populated servers left at all in Australia. Have reverted to playing SOF2 together with all the low life wall hack cheaters and 733T Hax0rz. Not as much fun really but at least its better than running round the beach on your own.

Can't wait for CoD and BF1942.

the telstra gamearena servers still get ppl on there now and then, and we're currently in season 5 of the rtcw ladder.  :o

http://games.bigpond...s/711/index.php

#51 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:26 AM

I just used it two weeks ago.  I'm running Panther.  It worked fine.  I had just reinstalled RtCW and had some trouble getting onto servers, so I ran PBweb and all was good.

10.2 is not 10.3. The moment that 10.3 existed, PBWeb broke.

How you have it working is a mystery. For me and everyone else I know, PBWeb does not even start under 10.3.x.

This is the problem that PBWeb has had since MOSX was updated to version 10.3. PBWeb is inoperable with this OS version. It is a known problem. PBWeb must be updated in order for this to change. You can find instructions on how to manually update punkbuster files at the Quake 3 World forum here?.

It works fine for me for Quake3 updates on 10.3.3. It's the same version I used in Jag too. Sometimes I have to do what I mentioned earlier which is launch it once, and when nothing appears in its window, to launch it again to get it to start going.
Basically, I don't believe you. You and deckels are the only people I have ever seen claim to have no problem with PBWeb working in Mac OS X version 10.3.x. Everyone else gets an application which does not even launch, like Leo did. And as I said, this is a known problem, from the Quake 3 World forum Macintosh sticky thread?, "To update punkbuster using PBWeb, follow these steps:
(CURRENTLY PBWEB DOES NOT WORK ON OS X 10.3.x. IF YOU HAVE OS X 10.3 OR ABOVE, USE ANOTHER METHOD TO UPDATE Q3.)"

Just for kicks try making a pb folder in your wolf folder under your /users/you/library/app-support/wolf/, and then trying running PBWeb to see if it might be able to sort things out from there

It doesn't matter where you run it from. If you are using MOSX 10.3.x, PBWeb will not launch.

#52 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:58 AM

How you have it working is a mystery. For me and everyone else I know, PBWeb does not even start under 10.3.x.

This is the problem that PBWeb has had since MOSX was updated to version 10.3. PBWeb is inoperable with this OS version. It is a known problem. PBWeb must be updated in order for this to change. You can find instructions on how to manually update punkbuster files at the Quake 3 World forum here?.

It works fine for me for Quake3 updates on 10.3.3. It's the same version I used in Jag too. Sometimes I have to do what I mentioned earlier which is launch it once, and when nothing appears in its window, to launch it again to get it to start going.
Basically, I don't believe you. You and deckels are the only people I have ever seen claim to have no problem with PBWeb working in Mac OS X version 10.3.x. Everyone else gets an application which does not even launch, like Leo did. And as I said, this is a known problem, from the Quake 3 World forum Macintosh sticky thread?, "To update punkbuster using PBWeb, follow these steps:
(CURRENTLY PBWEB DOES NOT WORK ON OS X 10.3.x. IF YOU HAVE OS X 10.3 OR ABOVE, USE ANOTHER METHOD TO UPDATE Q3.)"

Just for kicks try making a pb folder in your wolf folder under your /users/you/library/app-support/wolf/, and then trying running PBWeb to see if it might be able to sort things out from there

It doesn't matter where you run it from. If you are using MOSX 10.3.x, PBWeb will not launch.

Wow aren't you Mr. Negative?  That's fine if you don't believe me.  I'll happily continue to use it while you can't figure out how to get it to work.  In the future I suggest you be a little more polite to other users who are trying to help you and others on their own free time.  I didn't have to help you or Leo, but I chose to.  If this is the thanks I get, the next time I see you post a thread asking for help, maybe I'll post a sarcastic remark saying "I don't believe you have this problem, you're making it up".  You reap what sow....

#53 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:23 AM

Actually, I've sown the solution, as I've readily linked him to the only method to make punkbuster updates via MOSX 10.3.

The problem you described has nothing to do with the problem that PBWeb has with MOSX 10.3. The application at least launched, sometimes, without updating anything, previously. 10.3 broke it completely, it doesn't even launch.

Don't feel miffed that I put off any help you offered--you weren't helping.

#54 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:54 AM

Actually, I've sown the solution, as I've readily linked him to the only method to make punkbuster updates via MOSX 10.3.

The problem you described has nothing to do with the problem that PBWeb has with MOSX 10.3. The application at least launched, sometimes, without updating anything, previously. 10.3 broke it completely, it doesn't even launch.

Don't feel miffed that I put off any help you offered--you weren't helping.

You missed my point, by reap what you sow I meant that there is a difference between being polite about saying that something doesn't work for you, and being completely rude and saying you don't believe them without providing any helpful information as to whether you tried the person's suggestions or not.  It matters not to me.  I'll just put you on my "Do Not Help List" from here on out since you're too hardheaded to listen to any suggestions I give on trying to help out in troubleshooting the problem.  I just hope that you've learned that this isn't how you treat someone who's trying to troubleshoot a problem with you whether it be over the Internet or in real life.

#55 CannonFodder

CannonFodder

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:56 PM

Works just fine for me here on 10.3.3:
[05.11.2004 15:21:33] PBWEB v1.1

[05.11.2004 15:21:33] This program is (C) Copyright 2002 by Even Balance, Inc., All Rights Reserved.

[05.11.2004 15:21:33] pbweb must be launched from the home "pb" folder where the game is installed.

If launched from another location, pbweb will not be able to update PunkBuster.

[05.11.2004 15:21:33] If you experience a problem with this program, email support@evenbalance.com.

Please attach the generated pbweb.log file and also supply the following info:

1) Which Game, 2) Operating System, 3) Internet Connection Type, and

4) Any other details that may help in resolving the problem.

[05.11.2004 15:21:33] Starting pbweb to check for PunkBuster updates via world wide web

[05.11.2004 15:21:39] Initializing ... (please wait)

[05.11.2004 15:21:39] Resolving www.evenbalance.com

[05.11.2004 15:21:41] Checking for PB Client updates

[05.11.2004 15:21:41] Game: q3a

[05.11.2004 15:21:41] Attempting to download pbsec.htm (please wait)

[05.11.2004 15:21:47] Received File pbsec.htm (1395 bytes)

[05.11.2004 15:21:47] Attempting to download htm/ma001331.htm (please wait)

[05.11.2004 15:22:00] Received File ma001331.htm (63101 bytes)

[05.11.2004 15:22:00] htm/ma001331.htm successfully converted to dll/ma001331.mac

[05.11.2004 15:22:00] File already exists: htm/mc001069.htm

[05.11.2004 15:22:00] htm/mc001069.htm successfully converted to dll/mc001069.mac

[05.11.2004 15:22:00] dll/mc001069.mac copied to pbclnew.mac

I guess 'the known issue' isn't known to my computer or evenbalance... Perhaps your app is corrupt? or permissions hosed..or something, but for it to work for at least 3 people here kind of negates the "IT DOES NOT WORK".  Have you contacted EB at all personally?  I'd suggest doing so if you haven't.

#56 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

Works just fine for me here on 10.3.3:

I guess 'the known issue' isn't known to my computer or evenbalance... Perhaps your app is corrupt? or permissions hosed..or something, but for it to work for at least 3 people here kind of negates the "IT DOES NOT WORK".  Have you contacted EB at all personally?  I'd suggest doing so if you haven't.

The known issue is known enough to be in the Quake 3 World Mac forum sticky topic for installing the thing. The app is not corrupt. I've literally used and reused fifteen completely separate downloads of PBWeb in the time span since the first version of 10.3 was available. That, and making it into the FAQ for the biggest game using punkbuster, kind of negates the "IT'S NOT A KNOWN ISSUE" thing, I'd say. I contacted Evenbalance months ago, and had no response.

#57 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:18 PM

You missed my point, by reap what you sow I meant that there is a difference between being polite about saying that something doesn't work for you, and being completely rude and saying you don't believe them without providing any helpful information as to whether you tried the person's suggestions or not.
I wasn't rude, I pointed out something you didn't know--and I gave him the solution to his problem. Is that rude? I was pretty clear that I had used PBWeb and that it doesn't launch. I guess it wasn't clear to you that he had precisely the same problem.

I'll just put you on my "Do Not Help List" from here on out

I'll go you one better, put me on your "Do Not Reply To" list, please.

#58 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:05 PM

And I'll add this to my "Do not post to" list since you guys can't keep it civil.