RtCW Multiplayer: how many people are still playing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#21 hitman

hitman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

pssst...

for all you guys with older iMacs (like myself,) the new eMacs are only $799!

I'm pretty sure 1.25Ghz will play RTCW far better than my measly 400Mhz.  :razz:

#22 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

I need to reinstall RtCW.  RtCW, SoFII, and MoH Spearhead are fantastic games.  It's really great to hear that RtCW is still being played online a lot.

#23 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:16 PM

Well, I went out and bought RtCW. It looks like I made a mistake.

I was hoping the game would perform as well as the RtCW demo did on my machine. Single-player is playable, but there are some MP maps (the ones with weather) that just bring my machine to a crawl. And some of the other maps are barely playable.

Looks like I have to start saving for a new machine.

#24 Sling Shot

Sling Shot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

Have you tried tweeking your config? I used to play wolf on my 450mhz G3 without a lot of problems (after tweeking of course). I don't have any links handy but you should be able to just google for it.  :-D

#25 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

Try these tweaks first...

http://www.techspot....ein/index.shtml

#26 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:36 PM

Try these tweaks first...
http://www.techspot....ein/index.shtml

Yes, I did. But MP_Tram is still unplayable. The other maps vary in playability, but MP_Tram is just brutal.

#27 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 04:21 AM

Back when I had my iMac 400MHz Tram would just crash the whole game.  :razz: Nothing worked.

#28 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:11 AM

Tram is a pig of a map but you should still get some sort of enjoyment out of the others. To speed things up you could try booting into OS9, i know it runs better there. You will prob have to delete your configs though, which includes the ones in shrub, main and any other folder. Do a search for wolfconfig_MP.cfg

#29 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:01 PM

Tram is a pig of a map but you should still get some sort of enjoyment out of the others. To speed things up you could try booting into OS9, i know it runs better there. You will prob have to delete your configs though, which includes the ones in shrub, main and any other folder.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Is there a FAQ or something that will explain the function of the various folders with the RtCW folder?

What are the following folders for: bani, osp, PB, shrubmod, and Main?

And why are there multiple copies of my "wolfconfig_mp.cfg" file? Which one do I edit?

#30 AKS9

AKS9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, apart from Tram you should be fine. Tram isn't only big, but is meant for many more players than other maps, so it'll slow down a lot (I don't mean internet lag, i mean fps, more players on screen = lower fps).

To speed up RTCW…

First make sure you have 1.4. It is called beta but Aspyr say its perfectly stable and there won't be any more releases, it's never crashed on me and is perfect apart from a few bugs, though these exist in the PC versions too.

The folders are…

bani, banimod: mod folders. some servers run custom modifications to the game, when you enter one of these servers it creates a new config file in these folders.

main: probably the most important folder, your main config, all the maps, all the games textures, sounds, models, are stored here.

osp: another mod, this one won't work properly on the mac unless you download it from the website, since it's client-side

PB: punkbuster folder, most servers have punkbuster enabled which prevents people from cheating, and to enter a pb server you must have pb enabled too. pb stuff is stored here

shrub, shrubmod: like bani mod (but its a different mod)

the .cfg files are sort of like mac osx preference files, and have your graphic settings and key controls stored in them. each mod has its own config, wolf single player and multiplayer both have diferent configs too.

To get better performance…

First start by lowering your graphic settings. Lowering geometric detail will give an ok-fps boost and you won't notice much difference. Lowering textures makes stuff look less detailed, but not too bad at all. You should keep color at 32bit since it looks crap at 16bit (all dithered). texture depth can be lowered to 16bit, some colors will disort a bit but it won't look too bad. antitrosphic filtering will slow the game down, so will triliniar filtering.

The next thing is the in-game screen resolution. typically, the higher the resolution the clearer the image, so the lower it is the more blurry things will be, and text will be bigger and harder to read. However, if you have an LCD, usually choosing the default resolution for the LCD will give you better fps than choosing a lower one (I get better fps at 1024x768 than 800x600 on my G4 imac with flatpanel lcd).

Other things that will noticibaly improve fps are setting low quality sky, it doesn't look too bad when you get used to it, removing particles (the explosion sprites and smoke effects when shooting walls goes away, you'll still see explosions by the grey bouncing smoke-streamers). Removing wallmarks and lowering brass-time can help. Removing coronas will help a LOT.

By editing your config, you can also remove shadows, blood and bits of dead players which can speed things up a bit. For example, if you open the console (default key is ~) and type

/cg_shadows 0

or

/cg_gibs 0

will turn off shadows or gibs. typing the same but with a 1 will turn them back on. there are tons of commands, you can search the internet for them.

Wolf's RAM doesn't get automatically allocated like other osx apps, you have to do it manully like in OS9. By default rtcw uses 56mb of ram, if you have more you can assign it more. Make sure you don't assign too much, or it'll have to use virtual memory which will slow the game down instead of speeding it up. You should assign a maximum of 3/4 of your availble ram. So if you have 512mb you could assign 256 or 300. Probably not much point going any higher than that sinceit uses 56 by default. To assign more ram, open the console and type

/com_hunkmegs x

instead of x type the amount of ram, for example

/com_hunkmegs 256

You then have to restart the game for it to take effect.

Phew, sorry if that was sort of long winded and badly explained, but meh. There is loads more you can do to optimize but I doubt you'd want to go that far.

and btw, generally you'll get much better fps on MP than SP, or at least thats how it is for me

#31 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

wow, that's really good to know about assigning the game more RAM.  I have tons of RAM and assumed RtCW was taking as much as it wanted.

If you make that change in the console and then restart the game (I'm assuming it's fine to do this from the main menu and you don't have to be in-game), is that a permenant change or do you have to do it every time you play the game.

#32 Sherman March

Sherman March

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

A little off topic, but does anyone know how well MOH AA will run on a
Dual 533 with a Geforce3?

#33 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:12 PM

I have a friend who plays it with a similar setup.  He mostly plays multiplayer.  He's satisfied with the performance, but it isn't perfect.  It's certainly playable on his machine, and I think you have a better graphics card.  Sorry I can't be more definitive.

I don't know if there's a demo, but if there is, get it and try it on your machine.

#34 AKS9

AKS9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

No, you only have to do it once. If you type in

/com_hunkmegs

without a number, it will tell you what it is at the moment, and what the default is (so you can be sure).

#35 Leo

Leo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:33 AM

Well recently I picked up my old CD again. I've always had problems playing online myself but had problems with my processor that I just recently fixed, figured they were related.

So now I clean installed it, found the pesky latest update. And I still get problems trying to connect to server. Usually it says "invalid .PK3 files referenced." Or sometimes its a random error. Anyone know why I get this?

#36 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 05:58 PM

hmmm, I haven't gotten that.

Have you updated Punkbuster?  They have an updater that you can use (PB Web).

I think the punkbuster website is evenbalance.com or something like that.  Worth a try.

#37 Leo

Leo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 01:39 AM

Well it says that the latest Punkbuster is included with the updates. So I don't think that would be the problem. Does anyone else have any ideas? I used to love this game but can't play it at all. Sometimes it looks like, back when you would log into a PC server that had a higher update that was not released for the mac yet... the screen would kind of have black triangles over it then tell me I don't have the latest version. I get this same effect sometimes, even though I have the latest update.

#38 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:26 AM

download and run pbweb from inside the PB folder in Wolf. Be careful, sometimes it can take a long time and seem as though nothing is happening. Go make a coffee or something. http://www.evenbalan...ds/pbwebmac.zip

#39 enathan1085

enathan1085

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 02:34 AM

I used to get that problem.  I'd try to connect to a server and get the "invalid .pk3 files referenced."  I eventually found out that it was b/c of some mods that somehow got into my wolfenstein folder that i didn't even know were there :-p.  once i got rid of those the game functioned fine with the latest patch and everything.

#40 AKS9

AKS9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:55 AM

Works fine for me. Did you upgrade to 1.41 directly from 1.1, or did you do the in-betweens too?

Try installing it again, the immediately download 1.41 from Aspyr's site. It is called a beta although it is the final release, and doesn't have any bugs. There is also a "patch" that will "fix" the beta, but you shouldn't need that. If you search the news archives, there was a news post when 1.41 came out, and in the comments you can read all about the problems some of the people had, and what they did to solve them.

Though installing 1.41 directly after a fresh install should work fine.