RtCW Multiplayer: how many people are still playing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:55 PM

I think I'm stuck with my iMac 600 for another year  :cry:

But I'm desperate for some online WWII style gaming. About the only game that will play well on my machine is Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the demo worked well).

How many users are there these days on the RtCW servers? Is it worth picking up this game now?

#2 try again...

try again...

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

If your looking for WWII shooters, you might also want to check out Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It should run just fine on your computer, I can even run it on maximum setting online on my G3 350 w/pci Radeon (single player is a different story, though). There's always a myriad of servers online, so that shouldn't be a problem.

#3 SydeX

SydeX

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:38 PM

I think I'm stuck with my iMac 600 for another year  :cry:

That makes two of us  :cry: . Im tired of my old iMac, cant play any new games, Im sick of playing the same old stuff (Age of Kings, Diablo2, SW: Galactic Battlegrounds, UT) I want a new comp dammit.

Oh RTCW MP is better than MOHAAs, at least for me it is.
www.sydex.deviantart.com

#4 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

At least your not stuck with a G3 333.... ~sigh~
*(Bonus Ram and memory. Otherwise BG and D2 would eat my machine)

#5 Daragon

Daragon

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:36 AM

As for the actual question, there are still lots of people playing it.
I almost play it daily, and there are always good and crowded servers around ;).

#6 Fluffy Lemon

Fluffy Lemon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:41 AM

Medal of honor is worth a look, especially single player.

RTCW is still played, i still think its the best online FPS although i must admit to playing lots of generals recently.

If you like RTCW and fancy joining a really fun tournament then visit www.battlefieldeurope.net Join the allies!! must be the best because thats where I am  :-D

#7 calumr

calumr

Zonic Games

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:46 AM

I still play RTCW most weekends. It's great, because the servers are just full of people who've been playing it for years, and who are playing it because they think it's awesome, not because it's the latest thing to hit the shops.

That and the fact that I don't think there are any multiplayer FPS out there (as good as RTCW) that I can run on my lowly 667MHz PB G4.

#8 Drax

Drax

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:23 PM

go to ecgn 24/7 beach...64 players, its great!
8)

#9 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:09 PM

Don't play RTCW as much anymore. Reason because of the annoying Punkbuster software and the CD key verification which have caused me so many headaches. LAN play got boring because there are no bots and some maps are huge for just a small group when the game is meant to be fun in large groups.

RTCW is the ONLY Quake 3-based game that will not allow multiple computers behind a firewall using NAT to play over the internet. In other words, multiple instances of the same IP. Never had these problems with Quake 3 itself, nor Elite Force. All versions of UT have never had these problems either.

Granted I've always enjoyed RTCW and on occasion will get online by myself. But when you've got a group of buddies over (with mixed Macs and PCs) who all would like to play RTCW online (and each owns a LEGAL copy I might add), yet only one or two people can join the same server with the rest forced to endlessly wait or be kicked, it got annoying real fast.

And I have no other explaination but to blame bad planning, bad coding, Punkbuster, or the problematic CD verification for this. And what really pains me is that they give away the Enemy Territory for free, when yet we all paid for RTCW, want to play it badly, but simply cannot get online together at the same time on the same connection. :x

OK, rant over.

#10 Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

It's all about the funbeach!!!!

#11 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:24 AM

There are no populated servers left at all in Australia. Have reverted to playing SOF2 together with all the low life wall hack cheaters and 733T Hax0rz. Not as much fun really but at least its better than running round the beach on your own.

Can't wait for CoD and BF1942.

[/b]

#12 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:53 AM

I have a Mac that can smoke through RTCW without a problem. Every time I load up a list it's filled with servers and there are hundreds of players online at locations I can play at with no lag. You won't be hurting for play time if you stick with RTCW til you can get a better computer.

#13 MajorMatt

MajorMatt

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

Dont get MOH, it runs horribly on my g4/400 whereas return to castle wolfenstein runs perfectly. There are plenty of servers and people!

#14 dubbaplate

dubbaplate

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Steam Name:Rebel Scum

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:48 PM

Just might have to reinstall RtCW..  :-D
iMac C2D @ 2.4Ghz | ATI Radeon HD 2600 | 4GB RAM | 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

#15 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:38 PM

Dont get MOH, it runs horribly on my g4/400 whereas return to castle wolfenstein runs perfectly. There are plenty of servers and people!
Funny... MOH:AA ran perfectly on my G4 400, AGP Radeon, while RTCW ran like popsnizzle...?

But now its dead (A usb lamp, bought for 3 dollars fried its motherboard!!) so now im stuck with my moms iMac 233 until I can buy a new machine! *Grrrr*

#16 AKS9

AKS9

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

I play RTCW regularly with my clan, its awesome. I haven't really played MOH online much, I played the demo and hated it. Its awesome that there are still so many people playing RTCW even though ET has been out for over a year now :lol:

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3815 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 24 April 2004 - 05:08 AM

I play RTCW regularly with my clan, its awesome. I haven't really played MOH online much, I played the demo and hated it. Its awesome that there are still so many people playing RTCW even though ET has been out for over a year now :lol:
RTCW multiplayer is definately considered the best part of the game.. :)

#18 enathan1085

enathan1085

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:59 AM

i still play RTCW multiplayer all the time and there are plenty of ppl on the servers.  its definitely still one of the best FPS out there for macs.

funbeach and marketgarden are definitely the way to go.

#19 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

funbeach and marketgarden are definitely the way to go.

Are these servers or RtCW websites?

#20 Shagz

Shagz

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:31 PM

They are maps.  You can download most maps from http://www.rtcwfiles.com.