68 replies to this topic

#1 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:36 PM

I bought C&C two days ago and when I tried to play multiplayer on gameranger I can't play.
Other people load but I just remain in limbo, in the game.
I already patched it but nothing changed.
Anyone had similar problems?
I wouldn't mind at all getting a solution for this problem cause its getting annoying.

#2 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:13 PM

The specs of my cpu are slightly under the req, but the game runs reasonably well.
I am on a imac 800 mhz 512 sd ram Geforce mx.

#3 i5works

i5works

i5works Entertainment Software

• Developer
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:39 PM

I bought C&C two days ago and when I tried to play multiplayer on gameranger I can't play.
If you're behind a firewall, take a look at the read me. You need to open and forward ports 8186 and 8188. If that still doesn't work, then contact Aspyr technical support. Their contact info is also in the read me.

#4 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:08 PM

those idiots at aspyr can't help me because, quote: "You are running on  insufficient requirements..." thats BS...

#5 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:19 PM

those idiots at aspyr can't help me because, quote: "You are running on  insufficient requirements..." thats BS...

uhh no it isn't, you ignore the system requirements, you play at your own risk, end of story.

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

you ignore the system requirements, you play at your own risk

He's under the networking requirements, though. Kind of odd that they'd blame it on the CPU or graphics card.

#7 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

Ok story is I play perfectly on single player, problems arises only networking, besides I wouldn't complain if I didn't pay for the game but because I did it pisses me off.
55$ down the drain...

#8 Auron

Auron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:05 PM

Ok story is I play perfectly on single player, problems arises only networking, besides I wouldn't complain if I didn't pay for the game but because I did it pisses me off.
55$ down the drain...

You play at below min-spec, you play at your own risk. Don't yell at Aspyr for that.

#9 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:26 AM

55$ down the drain...

And did you bother trying what i5works suggested?  Those are the guys that ported the game.  If you're behind a firewall you have to open those ports.  If you're behind a NAT router then you'll probably have to do some port forwarding.  

http://www.gamerange...m/help/hosting/
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#10 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:42 AM

Kind of odd that they'd blame it on the CPU or graphics card.

They did? Where did you read that?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#11 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:05 PM

they did? Where did you read that?

Well they're saying that they won't support him because the CPU or graphics card is below their minimum, even though he's only having problems with networking. If he was saying that it runs slowly, I could understand how they'd blame his specs, but not this.

#12 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:34 PM

No I never had the firewall turned on nor I have a NAT router, its the first time I have problems on GR and problems in general.

#13 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

Well they're saying that they won't support him because the CPU or graphics card is below their minimum, even though he's only having problems with networking.

I still don't see that the reply "blamed" the problem on that.

"You're below minimum specs, we can't offer you official support" and "Your less-than-minimum specs are causing your problem" are two different things.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#14 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

Have you tried hosting instead of joining another person's game? If so, can other people join games you host?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#15 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:16 PM

"You're below minimum specs, we can't offer you official support"

They're saying that they don't want to spend money developing for and supporting low-spec graphics cards and CPUs, but in this case they aren't even being asked to support anything related to the CPU speed or graphics card. It's a cop-out.

#16 massiveattack

massiveattack

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:38 PM

Well they're saying that they won't support him because the CPU or graphics card is below their minimum, even though he's only having problems with networking.

"You're below minimum specs, we can't offer you official support" and "Your less-than-minimum specs are causing your problem" are two different things.

In fact they categorically they said no we can't give you support because you don't have sufficient requirements.
Next time I won't buy a game ported by aspyr...because I can't have support from them.

#17 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

i have a similiar system that you have and having the demo i can relate as to how well it runs.  It runs really well, but everything is somewhat slow-mo like compared to how it should be played.  my guess, because Generals runs slow on your comp that does not meet the prefered min requirements, is that Generals fails to sync proporly because your system isn't fast enough.  (mind you, i am no expert at all)  Like Auron said, you took the risk and you payed the price for buying a game that is above your computers specs.  You have no one but yourself to blame for that.  But i do agree that Aspyr should atleast offer a little help or atleast reasoning as what might be the possibility, but how can they give an accurate diagnosis for your problem when your comp doesn't meet the requirements?  it could just be as simple as your CPU just isn't fast enough.  never the less, i think i might pick this game up even though i too don't meet the requirements.
"Nothing here but us text"

#18 Auron

Auron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:57 PM

In fact they categorically they said no we can't give you support because you don't have sufficient requirements.
Next time I won't buy a game ported by aspyr...because I can't have support from them.
Are you freaking kidding me? Read the box next time you buy a game. You don't meet the requirements, you don't get support, end of story.

#19 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:35 PM

They're saying that they don't want to spend money developing for and supporting low-spec graphics cards and CPUs, but in this case they aren't even being asked to support anything related to the CPU speed or graphics card.

Yes, and that's quite different from "blaming" the problem on those factors.

That aside, you can't definitively say that these factors are unrelated unless you know the resolution to the problem. And to get to the resolution, you have to go through the support process.

I'm not terribly imaginative, but I can think of a couple of different ways that this could be related to CPU speed, the graphics card, hard drive space, even the OS version (which has a minimum requirement, but hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread). But that's just based on my limited experience developing games for OSX. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#20 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:42 PM

You'll always get support if you meet the minimum requirements, And often if you don't. You may not realize it, but you're getting support from Aspyr employees in this very thread. ;)

So what version of OSX are you running? Can you successfully host a game and have others join? How is your Mac connected to the internet? What speed of connection do you have? How much hard drive space is free on your main drive?

Also, go to the "Sharing" system preference and click on the "Firewall" tab to verify that it says "Firewall off".

Edit: is classic running?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com