Halo: Multiplayer with a Mac and a PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 macfella

macfella

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:57 PM

My friend and I have been trying to play Halo in Multiplayer - I'm using a Mac (OS X 10.3.3) and he's using a PC (Windows 2000) - and we can't get it to work. Both of us are running the latest versions of Halo, and both copies are legitimate. When we try to start a multiplayer game however, we get error messages.

Neither or us really know what we're doing when it comes to networking computers, but we initially figured it couldn't be too hard. We're using a standard ethernet crossover cable to network our computers, and we've both enabled filesharing on our respective machines, disabled our firewalls, etc.

Basically, one of use sets up a LAN game under Halo's Multiplayer settings, and the other person tries to connect using the Direct IP option. When we try to join the other person's game we get error messages stating that we cannot connect to that server.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or perhaps a step-by-step walkthrough of how to set up a multiplayer Halo game between a Mac and a PC?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 04:48 PM

What are the error messages?
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 macfella

macfella

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:03 PM

The error message basically says, "Can't connect to server."

#4 Dog

Dog

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:20 AM

Can your computers actually see each other?
What ip's are your computers using?
Is the pc running any kind of personal firewall?

I would guess it's a simply network problem

#5 Unit_X

Unit_X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:16 PM

This is pretty comon. LAN games and direct ip don't work that well. Did you try connecting in the LAN lobby? If not, try that.

#6 macfella

macfella

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:23 PM

Both computers see each other and both computer's IP addresses are in the 169.xxx.xxx range. The Firewalls on both computers have been disabled.

Neither computer shows up in Halo's LAN lobby, so my guess is that this is a simple networking problem and that we are overlooking some sort of setting.

I'm pretty confident that the Mac is set up for networking properly, but not so sure about the PC (Windows 2000).

Thanks for the help so far.

#7 Unit_X

Unit_X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:14 PM

Hmm, does anyone know how Halo works in Winblows 2000?