Free Trial locked out?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nafai

nafai

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:38 PM

I was going to sign up for the Pro account free trial, but the radio button is greyed out.  What gives?

#2 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:57 AM

Free trials were disabled during the UT2K4 demo release in order to prevent a massive flood of signups who would cancel their accounts as soon as their downloads from IMG's private servers were finished. Maybe they've forgotten to reenable trials or they were simply disabled again, perhaps to avoid similar scenarios with the huge C&C Generals and/or Worms 3D demos.
Down with the Sickness

#3 nafai

nafai

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:55 AM

That's quite ironic, because, for me, having access to demos with decent bandwidth is why I came here and wanted to *try* the Pro account in the first place.

Inside Mac Games: If you are proud of the services you offer and are confident that your membership is worth it, then enough people would stay on after the trial, even if they just came to your site to "mooch".

At minimum, you need something on the sign up page indicating why the Free Trial is blacked out.  I assumed that it was just a hoax to get me to reluctantly spend the $20 anyway.

#4 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

Unfortunately people in the past have abused the free trial offer over and over to the point that I got sick of it. A new demo would come out, people would sign up for a free trial, then cancel within minutes of finishing the download. You can imagine how frustrating that can be.

That said, I'll re-enable it right now.

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#5 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:34 AM

Unfortunately people in the past have abused the free trial offer over and over to the point that I got sick of it. A new demo would come out, people would sign up for a free trial, then cancel within minutes of finishing the download. You can imagine how frustrating that can be.

That said, I'll re-enable it right now.

Tuncer

Tuncer....
Duplicate a few pages from your pro service, and instead of a free trail offer a demo. Something like, no banners, pro demo download for every demo with a 2 month delay, restrict the possibilities to change IMG's looks to 2, etc.

That's my idea, demo it, don't free trail it.