Halo: "Cannot connect to Server" issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jager

Jager

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

I am having a frusturating issue when i click on the multiplayer tab:  it freezes, loops the music for about 10 seconds, and then says "cannot connect to server."    What's really wierd is that when you click ono MP its suppose to give you the options for Internet, TCP/IP, or LAn:  so its not like its even an internet issue- i couldn't even LAN if i wanted to!

What's also "interesting" is that i'm having the exact same problem on two completely different computers!  

one's a dual G4 that i've played halo MP on for ages.  the other's a brand new G5 i've never gotten to witness MP mayham on.  

i think i've narrowed down the culprit to one thing:  an attempt  to LAN halo b/n the two computers.  it didn't work b/c it rejected the joiner (i was using the same cd key for both computers).  ever since i can't get into the MP menu.  I've tried going into and nuking the pref's, reinstalling halo, etc. etc.  Any other ideas/suggestions for a guy desperate to see a G5 play halo MP?

#2 Icegiant

Icegiant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:30 PM

Go to your System Profiler and click on Network settings and get your IP address. Then launch Halo and key it in manually, that might work, it worked for me.

IceGiant.

#3 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:02 PM

Go to your System Profiler and click on Network settings and get your IP address. Then launch Halo and key it in manually, that might work, it worked for me.

IceGiant.

What he means by "key it in," is enter it in the blank "IP Address" field in the window that pops up before you play Halo.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#4 Jager

Jager

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

Thanks a ton!  I figured I had it down to  some network pref's problem, but i had no idea the culprit would be that oft-overlooked little field asking for an IP address when you boot up: i paid attention to graphics and the port numbers, but not to the empty IP field (kicks self).  

-Jager