#1 MacAdventurer

MacAdventurer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

Greetings,

Well, I went out to my local Apple Store today and bought myself a copy of UT2K4.  Yay! :-D  However, the Installer immediately quits after it's launched. :-(  I've tried both the Installer on the DVD and the Updated Installer.  I'm on a Dual 2 GHz Power Mac G5 with 2 GB RAM and an OEM ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, running Mac OS X 10.3.3.

Help, I must frag! :-p

Best Regards,

Mike Phillips

#2 busterbox

busterbox

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:30 AM

Hi Mike-
I've got the same exact problem- I'm pretty sure they shipped a bad DVD-  I was on a site last night and it seems everyone in the Windows world is having the same problem- only XP gives the error saying the DVD is dirty.  

On my machine, it says the media is unreadable about 80% of the way through the install-  Also, if you look at your console, you might see why it fails-  I have tons of i/o read errors-  

Good  luck, I'm taking mine back to compUSA, even though I don't think they'll do anything for me.  

By the way, if your install is crashing right after you enter the serial code, there is an updated installer patch-  Just search on macsoft's site-

Pt

#3 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:40 AM

There is an update that should fix this.

Ryan Gordon has updated his .plan with information about the retail version of the Mac version of Unreal Tournament 2004, Epic Games' futuristic sport-themed first person shooter, published by MacSoft. It appears that some users might have trouble installing the full retail version of the game, and to amend this, Ryan has put together a new updater that should work for the people experiencing the problems.

How to use it:
Download and unpack (Safari will do this automatically), leaving an installer icon on your desktop. Run that instead of the installer on the disc and proceed as you would normally. If the installer doesn't crash on you when run from the disc, you don't need to download this.
You can find a link to the update on Ryan's .plan, or linked directly here below. Ryan also notes that the game seems to crash with iSight and some USB microphones, even though this was specifically tested in the Gold Master of the game. Since Ryan is aware of it, a patch will most likely be out as soon as possible.

Link

#4 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:49 AM

Could you clarify exactly what happens when you try to launch the installer, does it quit silently (just disappear from the dock) or do you get the standard error message about an application unexpectedly quitting?

As for you other people, can't you read? The original poster explicitly stated he did try the updated installer... :roll:
Down with the Sickness

#5 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

Could you clarify exactly what happens when you try to launch the installer, does it quit silently (just disappear from the dock) or do you get the standard error message about an application unexpectedly quitting?

As for you other people, can't you read? The original poster explicitly stated he did try the updated installer... :roll:

Whoops!  :o

#6 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 April 2004 - 11:46 AM

Hi Mike-
I've got the same exact problem- I'm pretty sure they shipped a bad DVD-  I was on a site last night and it seems everyone in the Windows world is having the same problem- only XP gives the error saying the DVD is dirty.  

On my machine, it says the media is unreadable about 80% of the way through the install-  Also, if you look at your console, you might see why it fails-  I have tons of i/o read errors-  

Good  luck, I'm taking mine back to compUSA, even though I don't think they'll do anything for me.  

By the way, if your install is crashing right after you enter the serial code, there is an updated installer patch-  Just search on macsoft's site-

Pt

I don't think the PC version having problems has anything to do with the Mac DVDs since they're not the same disks.  My game installed just fine.  I don't think there's any copy protection to interfere with stuff on the disk.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM