7 replies to this topic

#1 smeagol

smeagol

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:34 AM

I've been getting into AOE2 lately, and I've been having a running debate with my sister about the tactics the game uses best. As a StarCraft fan, I tend to make the smallest possible group of mixed units, including the cheap barracks units (upgraded, of course), with a smattering of horses and a lot of crossbowmen.

My sister, on the other hand, likes to create about 40 horsemen of cavalry archer and knight variety. (Or conquistadors if she plays Spanish).

Both of our tactics work against the computer, but which strategy is [i]best?[/i}  :-D

Also, how can I defeat her horseman strategy in multiplayer (I'm very new to AOE2, like I said)? I'm getting ready to play against her, and any good strats you nice fellows can arm me with would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

First, what civ is she playing?  Makes a difference.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#3 smeagol

smeagol

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:29 AM

She goes for anything that has good horsemen -- Mongols, Franks, Spaniards, Saracens. I haven't found my civ, but I'm liking Goths, Celts, Vikings, and Franks.

#4 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:10 AM

Byzantines, giant walls and towers....no one can touch you.
That's my strategy.
Or use Vikings because, let's face it, Vikings are cool...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#5 smeagol

smeagol

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

Well, I played the game. I was Byzantine, and my sis was Saracen. I took a whole bunch of cataphacts, some cav archers, some pikemen and a large handful of onagers and scorpions. My sister (as predicted) took camels, knights, cav archers and Mamelukes.

I built a fortified town, and she built three castles at choke points. She rushed me with about 20 or 30 horsemen (I was pretty well outnumbered) but my siege equipment won out, taking down large numbers of horsement with a single shot. My onagers cleaned up her cav archers, and my scorpions took out her camels, with my other units guarding the siege weapons.

It took several waves of this, but eventually (and with the addition of some trebuchets) I took out all her castles. After that, the town was easy since she never bothered to fortify it.

She built some teched-up galleons, and those were annoying, but I dealt with them with some basic galleys.

So, thanks for the tips. But keep posting if you have anything else to say! I'm still an AOE n00b.

Regards,

smeagol

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

Don't you know you're not supposed to beat up on girls!   :wink:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 Sid

Sid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:48 PM

I get into a bit of a rut with this, but here's my 'system':
A large unit (20+) of British Longbowmen with 2-3 Monks for healing; two trebuchets and 2-3 Siege Rams with one or two workers for repairs; about ten cavalry as a mobile mop-up and protection against enemy Mangonels and Scorpions; a reserve of ten swordsmen and another monk or two to protect my wooden units -- with a scorpion or two to hit massed attacks. I advance the bowmen with the cavalry on the flank closest to the enemy, to just beyond fortress range. The Trebuchets -- unpacked just behind the bowmen -- begin to fire as the Siege Rams move in, the longbowmen pick off any unit that approaches my attack force and the whole lot moves inexorably towards the enemy Town Centre after each demolition. All their base are belong to me.

#8 sleyes

sleyes

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

My sister, on the other hand, likes to create about 40 horsemen of cavalry archer and knight variety. (Or conquistadors if she plays Spanish).

Both of our tactics work against the computer, but which strategy is [i]best?[/i}  :-D 

Also, how can I defeat her horseman strategy in multiplayer (I'm very new to AOE2, like I said)? I'm getting ready to play against her, and any good strats you nice fellows can arm me with would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Spearman{+15 Att Mounted units)/
Pikeman{+22 Att Mounted units)/
Halberdier(+32 Att Mounted units)
...are the basic counter to Stables units. While a pikeman won't usually survive 1-to-1 against cavalry, it's surprising to see how much damage they CAN do (especially to non-upgraded units). And they're 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of most horse units.

The other (faster) counter to cavalry is CAMELS (+10/+18); they train quicker and can beat up horses on even terms (similar uprades, etc).

Note that pikemen and camels REALLY shine against elephants.