#1 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:24 PM

Hi

Just bought a brand new G5 DP 2GHz with Radeon 9800 and it's very noisy. :sad:  It makes steady high pitch hum, which is really annoying. I was under the impression that this machine should be very quiet...

Anyone else that has the same configuration having the same problem? Or is my Mac just defective?

Cheers,
Ari

#2 Voden05

Voden05

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:47 PM

i had the same problem in my G5, just get the power supply replaced and all will be well, its worked for countless people on the apple discussions.

#3 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:02 PM

If i recall correctly there  is also a fix you can do with the CHUD tools.  For my part, i have noticed the high pitched noise sometimes, but since the computer rests on the floor under my desk, i dont hear the machine at all.. only when the fans spin up when i insert a CD or DVD.

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:26 PM

If i recall correctly there  is also a fix you can do with the CHUD tools

Yeah, you turn off the fan idling. Sounds like that would just make it louder, overall, but it might kill the annoying whine. Ask Apple to fix it for you.

#5 Sir Fartzalot

Sir Fartzalot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:25 PM

I usually just stick a small book or magazine under my G5 when it starts making that noise and for some reason that seems to stop it.

#6 Voden05

Voden05

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

If i recall correctly there  is also a fix you can do with the CHUD tools....

that just makes the noise quieter, but its still noticbly there, like i said before get the Power SUpply replaced i had the same problem and since i had the power supply replaced the noise is gone.

#7 yellow#5

yellow#5

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:55 PM

It makes steady high pitch hum, which is really annoying. I was under the impression that this machine should be very quiet...

Just keep in mind it will make some noise. People seem very eager to diagnose the power supply, but it may just be that you have a lower tolerance for noise. If you call Apple, they'll make you take it to a service provider to have it checked out, so just cut to the chase and take it to your nearest authorized service provider.

#8 McPhearsom

McPhearsom

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:51 PM

Of course the G5 is noisy, what do you expect with 8-9 fans?

I've never noticed a high pitched hum before, just a constant fan hum.

Compared to the G4 however it is quite quiet, however once when i took off the side panel while it was in standby, the machine almost took off when all the fans went to full speed, I couldn't stop it and had to pull the plug, but then that was noisy, like a jet aircraft, so if I suppose you were to have a G5 generate enough heat to turn all fans to max then it would be 'officially' very noisy. Also remember the fans keep the insides cool, so storing the G5 in a cool area will lessen the fan usage and keeping the tower uncramped with plenty of breathing space is also good.

That high pitched hum could be the Hard Drive or the circuit boards which may be loose or damaged or just busy, but overall the G5 doesn't create much of a noise problem...

(Dual 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 9800 250GB HD)

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:18 PM

of course the fans rev up when you take the side panel out... that is what keeps the air flowing across the processors! if you take the plastic side shield out, it completely voids the entire premise of keeping the interior climate zones separate!

I honestly think anyone who believe a Dual 2 G5 is noisy needs some perspective:  go over to a friends house and listen to the PC for a few seconds.  My G5 is asbolutely silent by  comparisson.

#10 Nixide

Nixide

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

I don't care that mine is noisy. But you can get a update from Apple go to http://www.apple.com...trolupdate.html and download it.  :roll:

#11 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:46 PM

of course the fans rev up when you take the side panel out... that is what keeps the air flowing across the processors!

When I take the side panel off my PC's tower the CPU doesn't get noticeably hotter, and stays at around 53C-55C at full load. I'd bet it's the same on the G5. The only reason the fans go full speed is because the fans' controller is whack. The controller also goes full speed when there isn't OS software control, which makes no sense either.

#12 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:58 AM

I honestly think anyone who believe a Dual 2 G5 is noisy needs some perspective:  go over to a friends house and listen to the PC for a few seconds.  My G5 is asbolutely silent by  comparisson.

Or compare it to my MDD, before or after changing power supply, it still beats a G5 by far ;)

If you want the G5 to quite down, you could change the Radeon 9800 for a card without fan, but then you'd compromise gaming performance. I believe the 9800 fan is the loudest of your G5's fans.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#13 McPhearsom

McPhearsom

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

The G5 has the box split into seperate compartments, each with its own fans so instead of most PC's where a few big fans keep whirring away to keep the whole thing cool, this only turns the fan speed up if it is needed so it is as quit as possible.

I have noticed that even simple things can improve the 'noise' level of it. Things like not putting it near a radiator, giving it plenty of breathing space, occasioanly cleaning the dust out of it (it can slightly restrict the airflow) and putting it near windows (unless you live in a hot climate). Just think about heat and put the G5 in a position where it will be cold and the fan noise will drop, remember it sucks air in the front and blows hotter air out of the back.

My G5 generally operates quieter than my PowerBook and considering it usually sits under the desk for most people, you generally don't notice the noise.

Also, get some decent headphones if you are worried about computer noise, you need them for games anyway...

#14 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the answers to you all.

I phoned the reseller and he said that I should take the computer back to their place so that they can check it. According to him it shouldn't be that noisy that it really irritates.. and it definately is!

I have a old G3 266 MHz which is quieter and I've used several different Macs in my work - none of them whine like this one. I'll have it checked.

#15 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:47 PM

my G5 was so noisy it turned out  there was a bad logic board in it and miss-matched CPUs (a 1.8 and a 2.0)
Apple declared it D.O.A. and gave me a full refund

#16 alex_kac

alex_kac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:46 PM

ALso remember - the ATI 9800 card is VERY noisy. In fact, on my G5 - its the ONLY noise I hear.

#17 twinky

twinky

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:02 PM

Are you using a DVI->VGA adapter? I kept hearing an annoying high-pitched noise, and finally tracked it to the adapter itself. Wiggling it a bit made the noise go away for a while, but it came back periodically.

Fortunately I was only using the adapter as an interim solution, and since I now have a monitor with DVI input, the noise is gone.

#18 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:38 PM

Interesting Twinky, I'm about to purchase a G5 (just waiting for a revision), I'll keep that in mind seeing as I will be using a DVI-VGA adapter
the IMG audio guy...