• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 k2

k2

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:29 AM

when i want to start HALO a start screen comes for
1 secound then the screen flashes double, and brings me back to my os desktop :-(

i tried without pixelshaders and different screen res.
but it does not run,what else can i do?

its the first time i try to play a game on the mac
i have a Powerbook 64mb gr.card and osx 10.3.2

#2 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:22 AM

I'd try deleting preferences and then open the game.  Eventually, if that doesn't work, it may come to a full re-install...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#3 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:24 AM

I'd try to manually recopy the folder "Shaders" from the CD into the Halo folder on your harddrive, then download and apply the latest patch. Also note that the 1.04.1 patch requires that you have applied the 1.03 patch first.
Down with the Sickness

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:41 AM

How many ways can you say, "incomplete pirated copy?"   :roll:   *sigh*  . . . . .
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:43 PM

incomplete pirated copy

I doubt everyone who runs into bugs has a pirated copy. Why accuse him?

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

Well, I'm just throwing that idea out.  If it's wrong, I don't mind if he corrects me.  But look at it this way.  To install Halo:

1.  Put in the CD
2.  Run the installer
3.  Double click the "Halo" app

If he did that, he wouldn't have had any problems.  He's a beginner, but still he should've gotten right into Halo.  I dunno, I was just suggesting it because Halo's so easy to get running, at least before you start messing with settings.
InsideMacGames.com

#7 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

The installer did sometimes fail to copy the Shaders folder over, so its not necessarily that simple.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:39 PM

The installer did sometimes fail to copy the Shaders folder over, so its not necessarily that simple.

Never heard of that happening.  Every CD they sent out was exactly the same, so it should install exactly the same way by default.
InsideMacGames.com

#9 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:02 PM

It depended on the host computer. It installed correctly on my G5 but not on my PowerBook (I just tested it for fun) using the same cd.

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 07:03 PM

Every CD they sent out was exactly the same

But the computers were all different.

#11 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:01 AM

Never heard of that happening.
Then you clearly were not monitoring the troubleshooting forum around the time of Halo's release.
Down with the Sickness

#12 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:39 AM

Of course I read it (and all of the Halo threads)! Remember my half-dozen new topics about Halo?   :wink:   Well, maybe my memory is going . . . . . I should've remembered it if it was a big deal!  Oh well!   :roll:
InsideMacGames.com

#13 dualg4

dualg4

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:53 AM

Every CD they sent out was exactly the same

But the computers were all different.

What can you say?
PWND!

#14 Unit_X

Unit_X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:46 AM

Quick question: Did you buy Halo with the text "For Macintosh" on the front? 'Cause if you didn't, that would explain a lot.

#15 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:38 PM

But it wouldnt get that far:

1 secound then the screen flashes double, and brings me back to my os desktop :-( 

i tried without pixelshaders and different screen res.

If it were for Windows it wouldnt launch to get a screen flash, and he wouldn't be able to choose pixelshaders or screen resolutions.

#16 GausianBlur

GausianBlur

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

I think he was being humorous with the "for macintosh" comment, I chuckled. btw  I have Halo just never got around to installing it....is it worth the time?

#17 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:16 PM

I think he was being humorous with the "for macintosh" comment, I chuckled. btw  I have Halo just never got around to installing it....is it worth the time?

I hope you're being sarcastic.   :roll:
InsideMacGames.com

#18 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:45 AM

Wanna know why? Pirated copy. I'm not accusing anyone. though. :lol:

#19 Icegiant

Icegiant

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:27 PM

QuicksilverG4, you are being a bit of an asshole by accusing everyone that has problems with installing Halo of being a pirate. You obviously were lucky with your setup. I have a DP800 Quicksilver G4 and a legit copy of Halo bought from Amazon.co.uk and I have had terrible problems getting it to work. You should possibly consider the fact that there is a world out there outside your own little one.

This forum has been great in sorting out the problems iíve had with Halo and I donít want your narrow-mindedness scaring people away from it. Halo has obviously been ported in a rush and also has some bugs as is often the case with Mac conversions. The Mac community is small enough in the gaming world and it doesnít need people like you making accusations when you have no proof whatsoever.

The reason iím here is to post another topic about yet another problem with my legit copy of Halo. I suppose you would have posted some smart-arse reply accusing me of being a pirate aswell.

IceGiant. :-?

#20 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:42 PM

Rule #1 for bashing other members:  Make sure you're right.  

Rule #2: Don't do it if you're a newbie, period.  You don't know my personality, or anyone else's for that matter.  Like the guy who insulted an IMG mod on his second post and got banned, it's not a good idea to try to roast someone until people get to know you.  Otherwise, your popularity will go downhill pretty darn fast.  Regardless, I'm not an asshole.   :roll:

I'm not lucky--I just maintain my computer.  For example, when I download something and decide I don't like it, I clean up it's preference files and all of the crap that it spews all over Mac OS X.  Same thing for 3rd party control panels.  While it's not as important in Mac OS X as it was in Mac OS 9 and earlier, you'd be suprised how much faster and how much less trouble any computer runs when you regularly do a little spring cleaning.  Like I implied, this works great for PCs, too!  Then, when you go to install new software, you don't have problems.  My Halo install was basically a fast, one-click ordeal.

Since you've decided to insult me and I just got done with some physics tests and I'm all stressed out, I think I need to address the more personal insults.  You're the reason why people ignore forums.  Why?  Because they're often full of profanity and name-calling.  I'd say you're a classic case of a newbie loose cannon.  I understand if you had a bad day and needed to take it out on something, but take it out in Halo multiplayer, not on me.  

Did you know that far more Mac users downloaded Halo than bought it?  That boggles the mind--we're not talking about a small problem--it's huge!  That also means that the majority of Halo problems that I and other IMG users attempt to fix are for pirated copies--whether or not the pirated copy caused the problem, obviously, we don't know.  

Never accuse me of being an asshole because I accused that user (based on my knowledge of what might cause a certain problem) of pirating a piece of super-pirated software.  K2, the user in question, has one post, and has never posted since his initial question.  Unless he comes back and says that his copy is legit, I certainly do believe that he got his copy illegally.

Halo was ported quickly.  But it wasn't rushed--you obviously don't know what a rushed piece of software looks like.  I've had Halo crash a few (two, maybe three times during cutscenes) times, but that's it.  There are other problems (thankfully, I haven't had them), but this is a great port (performance issues aside--those are mostly Apple's issue).  Those problems are the result of running Halo on two different OS versions and three different video cards.  Seriously, go out and buy Giants:  Citizen Kabuto or Soldier of Fortune 2 if you want to see a rushed/buggy port.

In conclusion--if you have a question, go ahead and post it.  I bet that someone (maybe even me) will have a good answer!  I must say, since you've proven that your copy is legitimate, I'll bet that you're not having the same problem as K2!   8)
InsideMacGames.com