• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 cartooncrackpot

cartooncrackpot

LASMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • Location:Planet Blortch, home of the slaughtering rat people.

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:20 AM

IGN is a hell of advertisement. Luckily I'm such a fantastic guy that people give me free Insider so I can avoid the horror the little I move outside their forums. IMG should have a way to adopt people for IMG Pro... just proxify it.
The official #IMG comic! Last update: 2004/9/5

#42 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:26 AM

Inside Mac Games - Now with 100% Extra Strength Proxify!
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#43 ProfessorX

ProfessorX

Swift like ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:48 PM

I've already got the request into Merriam-Webster to add it to next year's new definition candidate list.

God, I love the havoc that can be wreaked when there are no pesky classes to distract me.

#44 Galen

Galen

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:34 PM

The way I see it, some one's gotta pay the bills.

If you really can't muster having to make ONE EXTRA click, go somewhere else. Nothing comes free; IMG is quite a large website, and with its large amount of daily visits comes some hefty maintenance fees.

We're not making you wait for the ad to finish, and we're not showing it after every link. Just a simple, black screen, with a perfectly reasonably sized ad for a game, and a clear way to getting to the main site.

#45 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:45 PM

I wonder, if the writer of the email was REALLY on a mac?  I mean, he used proxify, a word that doesn't exist, at least not in Apple's automatic spell checker for both Safari and Mail...  so, this worker for MacGamer or whatever, wasn't really on a mac, and wasn't really a gamer... he's probably from Extreme Snowboarding magazine and he tried putting it through a translator to de-proxify his language.... myself being an "expert" linguist has translated it back into the language of his people...(oh and if you're a snowboarder and take offense, my apologies)

His letter should go something like this:

"DUDE! What's with the total ripper commerce infusion on your dude pages? You totally wasted my freestyle by taking time from my clickage on your page.  Like I'm gonna proxify insidemacgamesage or do a rad 180 to macgamer.  Dont make me blast the dookie on your page, dude..."

Seriously, what a killjoy....
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#46 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:20 PM

As long as you don't have adds with music/noise, or those god-awful adds that show up over the web-page and have to be manually closed, not pop ups, the other newer type, I'm not bothered.

#47 Jopling

Jopling

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:59 PM

I Dont liek it because I am an IMG Pro subscriber and I still get it. For somereason I always have to click on login for it to login. It just won't automatically login on either of my computers (Mac and pc).
I look at the world and I notice it's turning
                While my guitar gently weeps

#48 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:21 PM

I Dont liek it because I am an IMG Pro subscriber and I still get it. For somereason I always have to click on login for it to login. It just won't automatically login on either of my computers (Mac and pc).

Make sure it accepts cookies.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#49 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:42 PM

Here's an wonderful email from Michael Ardizzone:

"What it is up with these ads that scream in my face everytime I log onto your website? You guys suck for making the people click through your stupid ads. Now I'm gonna have to proxify insidemacgames or I might go back to macgamer. Way to be total mainstream dicks."

I agree with him, although I wouldn't phrased it quite like that.

#50 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:58 PM

Tuncer needs some way to pay the massive amounts of bandwidth that this thing must go through and the multiple tier system they have. Bandwidth is freaking expensive, believe it or not.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#51 Quacker

Quacker

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:58 PM

Just wanted be the first to say how I love the front loading ads when you first click into IMG. For a long time, I've felt something has been missing from this truly spectacular site and now I know what it was - unavoidable frontend ads. Thanks for taking it up a notch.

Yours truly,

RefinedSugar

Detecting a bit of sarcasm :P

I SURE HOPE THAT IS SARCASM.

#52 mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:27 PM

Okay, I'm thoroughly annoyed. :evil:

I'm an IMG Pro subscriber and IMG remembers my Pro login, yet I still see that damned intro page ad when I visit (yes, once every 24 hours, but still).
2.66GHz Mac Pro | 2.66GHz 15" MBP | 1.2GHz G4 Cube | 2x 2.0GHz Intel Mini

NASA Mid-Atlantic SpecE30 driver #59

#53 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

You defintely shouldn't see that ad. Let us know what system and browser you are using.

Also, do you have ads on or off?

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#54 mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

You defintely shouldn't see that ad. Let us know what system and browser you are using.

Also, do you have ads on or off?

Tuncer

Ads are off, have been since I subscribed.

Safari 1.2.1 v125.1, 10.3.3 client (release build).  Cookies are on. (And working for the Pro and forum logins.)

Ad shows up on my Powerbook, but not on my personal G5, or my G5 at work. Cleared cookies, problem persists.
2.66GHz Mac Pro | 2.66GHz 15" MBP | 1.2GHz G4 Cube | 2x 2.0GHz Intel Mini

NASA Mid-Atlantic SpecE30 driver #59

#55 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:15 AM

..aaand, I'm not a pro describer (I'm virtually immune for ad's since I grew up with both my parents working in the advertisment industry and later on I spent a few years myself there), but didn't see the opening ad today or yesterday (which I don't see anyway because I'm virtually immune... etc). :o

Anyway, the starting ad, over an 24 hour period, appears most of the time, but not alway's, here.

Macos 10.3.3 incl the safari coming with it.

And no I'm not complaining.  :-D