54 replies to this topic

#1 RefinedSugar

RefinedSugar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:50 AM

Just wanted be the first to say how I love the front loading ads when you first click into IMG. For a long time, I've felt something has been missing from this truly spectacular site and now I know what it was - unavoidable frontend ads. Thanks for taking it up a notch.

Yours truly,

RefinedSugar
.: Got any Nuka Cola? :.

#2 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:58 AM

You're welcome.

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:11 AM

Just wanted be the first to say how I love the front loading ads when you first click into IMG. For a long time, I've felt something has been missing from this truly spectacular site and now I know what it was - unavoidable frontend ads. Thanks for taking it up a notch.

Yours truly,

RefinedSugar

Detecting a bit of sarcasm :P

#4 xaphongod

xaphongod

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:24 AM

Alright the link "continue to Inside Mac Games" doesn't work. Ended up having to force-refresh a couple of time to get to the main page. So you might wanna have that looked into.

Sure you don't have enough ads Tuncer? :P

#5 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:39 AM

Yieks! Me thinks me just turned blind!

That's not forever is it?

Brrrrr...........

#6 Mayhem

Mayhem

Disturbed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Steam Name:mayhem_swe

Posted 03 March 2004 - 04:20 AM

Now I can understand that you want to encourage signing up for Pro, but this is a real lame way of doing it. I honestly thought you were above such IGN-erisms. :x
Down with the Sickness

#7 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:56 AM

It had to be a SIMS ad, too. That game's like a rash -- it just won't go away.

#8 ProfessorX

ProfessorX

Swift like ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:03 AM

Gah!  Darn those guys who have to pay the bills to bring us all the free content!

I bet that ad is really annoying, though.  However, being an IMG Pro member, I'll never know.

#9 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:27 AM

Gah!  Darn those guys who have to pay the bills to bring us all the free content!

I bet that ad is really annoying, though.  However, being an IMG Pro member, I'll never know.

You could do like I did, go to http://insidemacgames.com to circumvent the cookie ;)

I got a huge ad right in my face and then it took me to www.insidemacgames.com and back to the Pro sweetness :P
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#10 wymer100

wymer100

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 07:30 AM

The link at the bottom of the ad to get to the homepagew doesn't work. Kind of annoying.

#11 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:26 AM

NOOOO! Please don't turn into gamespy!  That's what I like about this website, the unobtrusiveness of ads.  I can tolerate one ad, but please don't start puting them between articles, or between articles and screenshots, etc like gamespy does.
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#12 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:13 AM

Looks like there's a bug in the ad, so we've turned it off for now. I'll have to get Jason to fix it.

As for the ad itself. Folks, we have bills to pay, just like everyone else.

Once it properly works, the ad will show up only once a day for you in a 24 hour period. Not over and over like some other popular web sites. I think that's pretty fair.

This is not a ploy to get people to subscribe to IMG Pro (which, btw, costs $1.66 month to subscribe to). But as one of the more popular gaming web sites out there, we need to keep up with the advertising trends on the net.

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#13 wymer100

wymer100

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:21 AM

I don't think the presence of the ad itself is really a problem. Everyone knows that you have to pay the bills somehow. I would rather have that ad come up once a day and keep everything else free than go exclusively to paid content. That being said, having those ad be any more intrusive is probably going to make them very very low on the ROI-scale.

#14 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:09 AM

For those of you who couldn't get to IMG by clicking on the link, you must have Cookies enabled to bypass the ad. Once you have cookies enabled, you won't see the ad again for another 24 hours.

I'll talk to Jason about finding a more user-friendly solution.

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#15 Jens

Jens

Fadeout Studio

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:28 AM

for a top quality site like img i gladly click ads for a living  :lol:

#16 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

Seems my thread about this in General was pulled. Perfectly understandable though, I should've checked here first.

As far as I know, cookies are enabled on my browsers.

And as I stated before, I won't mind this ad thing (I understand maintenance costs, etc.), as long as it doesn't go as far as IGN having to read an ad before proceeding to any forms of content. To me, that sort of deterioration would further isolate the already small Mac gaming community.

#17 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:48 AM

Seems my thread about this in General was pulled. Perfectly understandable though, I should've checked here first.

As far as I know, cookies are enabled on my browsers.

And as I stated before, I won't mind this ad thing (I understand maintenance costs, etc.), as long as it doesn't go as far as IGN having to read an ad before proceeding to any forms of content. To me, that sort of deterioration would further isolate the already small Mac gaming community.

Even more so, I hope you guys don't pull an IGN and turn IMG into McIMG for a week...

#18 Gloops

Gloops

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:52 AM

For those of you who couldn't get to IMG by clicking on the link, you must have Cookies enabled to bypass the ad. Once you have cookies enabled, you won't see the ad again for another 24 hours.

I'll talk to Jason about finding a more user-friendly solution.

Tuncer

I've got my Safari cookies baked and ready and I still couldn't get in. Had to type "/news" at the end of the URL to get anywhere. Quite freeked me for a mo. :o

#19 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:53 AM

If you have cookies enabled and still get the looping ad problem, please let me know.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#20 -Ashman-

-Ashman-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:05 PM

I don't mind the ad since you can easily click through it.  What I really hate are the interstitial flash ads that force you to wait a specified amount of time staring at the advertisment before allowing you to continue on.  I also HATE it when sites use them to partially cover up content until they annoyingly slide out of the way.