OS X, G5 and Gaming.....questions from a PC gamer! ;-)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 loneAzdgari

loneAzdgari

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 1278 posts
  • Location:That layer of crap on the floor after a house party

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:36 PM

Personally, I find there are more good games out for Mac than I have time to play.

Exactly, there are more than enough decent mac games to play. The only place the mac falls down is slightly more expensive software, and quite a bit more expensive hardware, at least at the low end consumer scale.

#22 Guest_havic_*

Guest_havic_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:32 PM

Infact, there's some rule about frames per second in Quake 3.

The physics had a bug in them where floating point rounding errors would increase if the framerate was less than about 120 FPS. It made jumps shorter, for sure, but there were probably other things that it affected as well. Quake 1 and 2 are also affected.
The way I heard it, it was all FPS that was in multiples of a certain number gave higher jumps.  I don't remember what that number was, but Tycho was the one who told us about it I think so ask him.

#23 myekie

myekie

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:08 AM

You have to be kidding,

I'm a serious gamer and have long wanted my mac to be a gaming solution. The facts are that most games that come to the mac are just PC ports. I have emails from asypr admitting that there are slowdowns in games that are ported from PC to Mac. I love my mac for work but for gaming a kick ass PC will beat a mac hands down. In gaming FPS is everything to the "Hardcore" gamer. I would never recommend a Mac for games over a good PC. It's sad I know with our great hardware you think that we could get some dedicated Gaming code for the mac. I would love to see these new games coded directly for the mac but I don't see it happening. And guys get over q3. It's old and boring these days. I can't believe people still use that as a gaming benchmark. Sorry for the negative talk guys but I see this as the "truth" and a unbiased view of gaming at the present.

Myekie

#24 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:32 PM

sad as you claim it to be, it is the PC sites that still use it as a benchmark.  The reason it is used as a Benchmark because it produces reliable, easily reproducable results.  

Besides, as the games get more demanding, the gap between parity closes.  I get very good framerates in UT2k4(demo), easily comparable to the bleeding edge P4EE PC's some of my friends use, when running at high resolutions.
The only reason i get les fps is because i dont have a Radeon 9800, and they do.

"Hardcore" gamers aside, gaming on a Mac is incredibly viable these days.  And "Hardcore" gamers dont really have anything to complain about other than it is a Mac, and they "know" Mac's cant game.  You should see the looks on the faces of some people when they realize im running 2k3/4 or Halo... on a Mac.. and it looks better than their PC.

#25 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:56 PM

Halo... on a Mac.. and it looks better than their PC.

How's that? Lens flares are slow on the Mac, and should probably be disabled, but otherwise they should look about the same. Unless you're trying to zoom on an nVidia GPU, or you've enabled FSAA on cards that totally bork it.

#26 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

How's that? Lens flares are slow on the Mac, and should probably be disabled, but otherwise they should look about the same. Unless you're trying to zoom on an nVidia GPU, or you've enabled FSAA on cards that totally bork it.

Well, how about FSAA? As far as I know it doesn't work at all on PC. True, you will have to have a 9600 or 9800 to get it to work good, but it works.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#27 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

Well, how about FSAA? As far as I know it doesn't work at all on PC. True, you will have to have a 9600 or 9800 to get it to work good, but it works.

Exactly.  

And i wasnt necessarily talking about my PC using friends being surprised, just generally PC users who see me gaming at a Lan party on a Mac.  (my friends and i play Halo and 2k3/4 at parties as a team, when we can).  A lot of times other people at the party are like... "whoa, you game on a Mac?  that looks really good.. i always heard that Mac's cant game..."

#28 Quacker

Quacker

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:10 PM

My view is that PCs are good for playing games because every computer game you can think of is on a PC.  But if you ask me weather I would play a game that I could play on eaither I would play it on a Mac.  Just becuase Macs are so much cleaner.  They are so much more an joy to use.  Virtually Virus free.  Trojans and just everything looks sleek.  I don't know I just like it better.  PC ther is so much un done.  There are so many holes.  

Don't ask me I just love my mac and would much rather play games on it then I would a PC.  

Just buy one and you will understand.  :-D

#29 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:15 PM

My view is that PCs are good for playing games because every computer game you can think of is on a PC.  But if you ask me weather I would play a game that I could play on eaither I would play it on a Mac.  Just becuase Macs are so much cleaner.  They are so much more an joy to use.  Virtually Virus free.  Trojans and just everything looks sleek.  I don't know I just like it better.  PC ther is so much un done.  There are so many holes.  

Don't ask me I just love my mac and would much rather play games on it then I would a PC.  

Just buy one and you will understand.  :-D

Um, yeah.

#30 elfer

elfer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:20 PM

hehe, you guys are making it tough on me!

maybe I should take UT2004 with me on a CD and "test-play" it on a G5 dual-2ghz at the store? Maybe that would give me some first hand experience on how good or bad it really is!!!

elfer
:wink:

#31 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:22 PM

hehe, you guys are making it tough on me!  

maybe I should take UT2004 with me on a CD and "test-play" it on a G5 dual-2ghz at the store? Maybe that would give me some first hand experience on how good or bad it really is!!!

elfer
:wink:

That's an excellent idea!  Maybe I'll do that at my local store!

#32 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:18 AM

getting back to original root here... since everyone else has already covererd the other bases.

Elfer, this is just a common warning that I feel that I should give potential Mac users:  if really if you're debating to switching to a Mac, it should be based mainly on your discontent with Windows and possible infatuation with the Mac OS, since you're paying a premium much higher for a Mac.

If you're purely about playing games, a Mac isn't exactly the best choice but if you're using your computer for a mulititude of processes and games happens to be one them (probably somewhat important one) like most of us then you're fitting the criteria. I happen to be a Multimedia major and for me, I view the Mac as being at an advantage for what I do. As noted, you'll have to expect a bit of a gap between Mac and PC gaming for a multitude of reasons but if you're willing to sacrifice a little in gaming, the rest of your computing experience should be more pleasant (assuming you develop a like for Mac OS).  I certainly don't buy Macs for the overpriced hardware (I have $2.5g saved for my next computing purchase and next month I'll have enough for any Mac I want)...
the IMG audio guy...

#33 ProfessorX

ProfessorX

Swift like ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:27 AM

I totally agree with Greg - Macs really shine in the overall computing experience - and for any design application, they are vastly superior to any PC.

There are a few people here who have gaming PCs to go with their Mac, here is a link to a site that shows you how to build a cheap PC.

#34 myekie

myekie

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:37 AM

getting back to original root here... since everyone else has already covererd the other bases.

Elfer, this is just a common warning that I feel that I should give potential Mac users:  if really if you're debating to switching to a Mac, it should be based mainly on your discontent with Windows and possible infatuation with the Mac OS, since you're paying a premium much higher for a Mac.  

If you're purely about playing games, a Mac isn't exactly the best choice but if you're using your computer for a mulititude of processes and games happens to be one them (probably somewhat important one) like most of us then you're fitting the criteria. I happen to be a Multimedia major and for me, I view the Mac as being at an advantage for what I do. As noted, you'll have to expect a bit of a gap between Mac and PC gaming for a multitude of reasons but if you're willing to sacrifice a little in gaming, the rest of your computing experience should be more pleasant (assuming you develop a like for Mac OS).  I certainly don't buy Macs for the overpriced hardware (I have $2.5g saved for my next computing purchase and next month I'll have enough for any Mac I want)...

Yeah well said,

I couldn't agree with you more here. The mac is a total computer which is great at doing many tasks. Its operating system makes day to day tasks easy. In my design workflow the Mac outshines the fastest PC. Macs just work! But for serious gaming a PC is the shot. I wouldn't want to design on a PC though. Yuk!

Myekie

#35 gorilla

gorilla

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't want to design on a PC though. Yuk!
I'm forced too.  It's not really all that bad, but I'd definitely prefer my mac at home.  My work PC has more horsepower but it can get bogged down really easily.  God forbid you try and access a browser when Illustrator is hobbling along trying to open a file or quit.  Our whole company is PC except for two lonely Macs (a blue and white and a Quicksilver) sitting in the back for compatability testing and scanning purposes.  I have a life-size poster of my G4 hanging in my cube as a meager attempt at rebellion.

I shall rue the day they replace Windows 2000 on my PC with XP.  
[b]The horror...

#36 elfer

elfer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 11:32 AM

Oh yeah...I agree!

I "have" switched from Windows to OS X about 1.5 years ago. I now have a Powerbook 1Ghz. I even bring it to work and have not touched my PC, unless I needed Visio or MS Project.  So, I am all with you on the "Mac's the superior platform". I totally agree.

I have tried playing the UT2004 Demo on this PB. It's not running that great, and that's what made me think about PC vs. Mac for gaming.

As I mentioned, I would rather have two Macs than a Mac and a Windows machine, but I also want to make sure that I will be able to enjoy games and not be frustrated. :)

elfer

#37 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:20 PM

Ryan just updated his .plan about the sluggish performance on single proc machines.... will be fixed in retail. Check the news on the front page.

#38 NCG_Mike

NCG_Mike

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:34 AM

... I even bring it to work and have not touched my PC, unless I needed Visio or MS Project.
If your PC is running XP Pro then you don't need to touch it. Infact, you can hide it in another room and have done altogether.

Check out Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection for the Mac at versiontracker.com. It's great.

#39 elfer

elfer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:43 AM

True dat. I use Remote Desktop AND even have Virtual PC installed, so that I can get to Visio and Project offline.. :)

elfer

#40 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

If your PC is running XP Pro then you don't need to touch it.

Why buy XP Pro? The only differences I remember were that the "pro" features are covered by a copy of VNC. There's no reason to spend more money for that.