73 replies to this topic

#61 enathan1085

enathan1085

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:10 PM

I don't know how o take that comment. I liked Myth II and Starcraft, but i played battle.net heaps, but i never got a chance to play Bungie.net. So I don't have the same experience with those games, so... how was Bungie.net?

i agree with space pirate killer here.  i've played both myth II and starcraft.  i liked starcraft better.  i'm sorry but in my humble opinion nothing in myth II can compare to the feeling of crushing your opponent with the zergling swarm or reaver dropping your opponent just as he's starting to build up his attack base.  you myth II junkies seem to be just as fanatical about your favorite game as you claim all the "blizzard junkies" are about theirs.

and comparing starcraft afficionados to n'sync fans??? how can you even draw the comparison.  it seems to me that people are saying that just b/c you like starcraft you have played no other good games and therefore should be excluded from all intelligent conversation and banished to a penal colony.  ok maybe not that extreme. but still, the n'sync comparison is a little harsh.

#62 Macpot

Macpot

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:37 AM

I played myth 1 for PC when it first came out, but never played the second. It was fun, but not as fun as warcraft 3 or starcraft.
Not to mention the huge number of custom use map settings maps that can keep you buisy for months.

I also played all the old school command and conquer games btw along with tiberian sun. They were fun but none of them hooked me as bad as Starcraft and WC3 did.

#63 Jude

Jude

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:36 AM

I like the Myth series the best, not only for the range of viewing (z-axis!), but because there is no building.  It is pure tactical strategy.

A game I haven't seen mentioned here yet:
Majesty
This is a really fun RT strategy/builder game, both for the flavor and because your can't really control your characters--you have to persuade them and hope!  Also, sometimes they switch sides.  ;(  There is also an excellent random map generator, so you never get tired of the same maps.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com

#64 ForumBot9.0

ForumBot9.0

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:46 PM

It's gotta be Wc3 TFT- Battle.net is swveet and it blends rts and rpg elements to perfection.

#65 DavidM

DavidM

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 11:08 AM

I prefer Starcraft to Myth. I always liked the sci-fi story wrappings around the game. I felt like I was partaking in a Sci-fi novel.

I never could get into Myth I or II and really felt it would have been a great deal more fun as a turn-based tactical war game, or something in the style of Combat Mission.

As for the best RTS game, I don't think we have received the best on the Mac.

EUII I don't really consider to be in the spirit of a RTS game. Really it is a modified turn-based game, done in a very novel approach.

#66 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:40 PM

You know, a very unique and rather fun RTS was Ares by Ambrosia Software. It had a rather good story, great ideas, pretty cool scaling system. All it lack was some depth and a few features. Maybe Ambrosia could create an awesome sequel now they have the experience.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#67 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:34 AM

You know, a very unique and rather fun RTS was Ares by Ambrosia Software. It had a rather good story, great ideas, pretty cool scaling system. All it lack was some depth and a few features. Maybe Ambrosia could create an awesome sequel now they have the experience.

ARES!!!!!
That is one fun game.
There's also Casear III, which is real fun. But it's poor sales were the reason why Pharoah and Half-Life were cancelled.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#68 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:08 AM

I prefer Starcraft to Myth. I always liked the sci-fi story wrappings around the game. I felt like I was partaking in a Sci-fi novel.  

I never could get into Myth I or II and really felt it would have been a great deal more fun as a turn-based tactical war game, or something in the style of Combat Mission.

EUII I don't really consider to be in the spirit of a RTS game. Really it is a modified turn-based game, done in a very novel approach.
Personally i love Myth II's real time element in the game. It makes combat much more realistic when every single second counts in tight situations. It's in many ways like real warfare, because you only have your units given to you at the start of the mission to complete it.

The problem people often have in the beginning, as i did, is that in larger battles people often lose their composure and don't know how to react - you need a bit of experience to feel fully at home with the gaming system, formations, short cut keys etc. etc. Also, in Starcraft or Warcraft III you can produce your way out of a tight spot, but in Myth it's all about your ability to handle pressure in a battle.

#69 LAP0880

LAP0880

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:13 AM

WarCraft 3.

#70 muzein

muzein

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:45 AM

Personally i love Myth II's real time element in the game. It makes combat much more realistic when every single second counts in tight situations. It's in many ways like real warfare, because you only have your units given to you at the start of the mission to complete it.

The problem people often have in the beginning, as i did, is that in larger battles people often lose their composure and don't know how to react - you need a bit of experience to feel fully at home with the gaming system, formations, short cut keys etc. etc. Also, in Starcraft or Warcraft III you can produce your way out of a tight spot, but in Myth it's all about your ability to handle pressure in a battle.
Yup, Myth has a very steep learning curve, and many people never get to that state where they actualy feel comfortable with the game mechanics.

That being said, the Myth series is by far my favorite RTS series ever, and indeed my favorite games, period.

I don't really find comparing it to Warcraft/Starcraft fair, because they are completely different types of games.  I was a huge Starcraft fan, and also played Warcraft II and III a good deal, they never captured me quite like Myth did though.

#71 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:36 PM

Yup, Myth has a very steep learning curve, and many people never get to that state where they actualy feel comfortable with the game mechanics.

That being said, the Myth series is by far my favorite RTS series ever, and indeed my favorite games, period.

I don't really find comparing it to Warcraft/Starcraft fair, because they are completely different types of games.  I was a huge Starcraft fan, and also played Warcraft II and III a good deal, they never captured me quite like Myth did though.
i don't think Myth realy hard a steep learning cruve to play the single player levels.  But if you want to stand a chance against any online player, you'll have to learn alot more than what the single player can teach you.
  i've been a huge myth fan from the day i got 9and still am).  Great story and great gameplay.  To me, starcraft had a great and well developed story, but the gameplay was far to dry to me, same with the warcraft series.  The RPG element was a nice touch in WC3, but the gameplay was pretty much the same to me.
"Nothing here but us text"

#72 muzein

muzein

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:10 PM

I don't really find comparing it to Warcraft/Starcraft fair, because they are completely different types of games.  I was a huge Starcraft fan, and also played Warcraft II and III a good deal, they never captured me quite like Myth did though.
i don't think Myth realy hard a steep learning cruve to play the single player levels.  But if you want to stand a chance against any online player, you'll have to learn alot more than what the single player can teach you.
  i've been a huge myth fan from the day i got 9and still am).  Great story and great gameplay.  To me, starcraft had a great and well developed story, but the gameplay was far to dry to me, same with the warcraft series.  The RPG element was a nice touch in WC3, but the gameplay was pretty much the same to me.
That's true, single player isn't too hard for a new player to get the hang of.  But the real fun of Myth is of course in it's multiplayer games, and there are some very good players out there to contend with.

Though, that really goes for all games I think.  Starcraft is easy to learn singleplayer, but you hop online and you will be smashed over and over until you slowly figure out how to handle it.  Myth really is no different in that respect.

#73 Khama

Khama

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

i don't think Myth realy hard a steep learning cruve to play the single player levels.  But if you want to stand a chance against any online player, you'll have to learn alot more than what the single player can teach you.

Aint that the truth. I can remember the day I was "Carpet Bombed" in a game of CTF. Blew my mind, till the guy that did it, taught me how to do it. Its little tricks like this that you cant learn single player myth.

#74 DavidM

DavidM

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

I should add that I have a great bias towards turn-based startaegy games, sometimes bordering on arrogance towards RTS games. When the RTS moniker first became popular I turned my nose up at them as glorified arcade games. In fact, Starcraft is the only one I can say I completed all the way through. I have tried many but eventually get bored.

I really wanted to like Myth, I loved the concept, the art and the presentation, but after awhile I just found myself bored. In fact, talking about it makes me want to try it again. Certaintly, difficulty in learning a game or interface has never stopped me, I prefer the complex to the simplistic most of the time anyway.