77 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Rabbit

Steel Rabbit

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:36 AM

Because I don't want to fill the mailboxes of guys at IMG with a question like this, I thought I'd assail your ears here!

Has anyone heard any news about Star wars: Knights of the Old Republic coming to the mac anytime soon? I hear this game is really good, and it'd be great if it DID come to the mac.
Thanks

-Steel Rabbit

#2 Tycho Celchu

Tycho Celchu

Godlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 05:44 PM

Has anyone heard any news about Star wars: Knights of the Old Republic coming to the mac anytime soon? I hear this game is really good, and it'd be great if it DID come to the mac.

Nope, and if anyone did, I am 100% sure it would have been on IMG news already, and then added to the Release Dates page on the left sidebar.
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

#3 Mot

Mot

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 06:43 PM

No word right now, lot of speculation, see the aspyr 5 thread in the general forum.  I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't make it.

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:38 PM

Also, it is largely a full-scale mod for Neverwinter Nights (runs on the same engine, with the d20 D&D rules swapped out for the d20 Star Wars rules) so porting it shouldnt be -too- much of a problem.

I think we'll see it, how soon though, who knows?

#5 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:15 PM

Aspyr has ported all of the recent Star Wars games, they've got a good track record with Lucas Arts, and they have several unannounced titles.

Lets all cross our fingers and hope that Aspyr makes a big Star Wars announcement soon.

-Mad Matt

#6 tidusjeff

tidusjeff

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:31 PM

Aspyr has ported all of the recent Star Wars games, they've got a good track record with Lucas Arts, and they have several unannounced titles.

Lets all cross our fingers and hope that Aspyr makes a big Star Wars announcement soon.

-Mad Matt

yes let's

#7 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:08 AM

With C&C Generals almost here, and Call of Duty on the way, KOTOR would cap off a great 2004 for Aspyr. Now, if I only had the hardware to run these games.  :evil:
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#8 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 02:54 PM

The system requirements for the PC are for a 1 GHz PIII w/256 MB of RAM. And, some of the reviews that I've read of the PC game indicate that the graphics lag on occasion. So, considering the reality that for gaming, the G4 is roughly equivalent to a PIII, there is a possibility that high end G4's could handle KOTOR, and G5's of any sort should handle it with no problem.

What I don't know is if there is a large enough installed base of such machines to support this kind of port.

I have a Dual 1GHz G4 MDD machine, so I am hoping that it not only comes to the Mac, but will run on my machine.

-Mad Matt

#9 clichekiller

clichekiller

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:16 PM

I've played it all the way through several times on my PC and all I can say is that I sincerely hope it comes out for my mac.  I have a Dual 1.25 and 1.33 17" pb so hopefully one of those will be able to run it.

#10 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:14 PM

If SW: KOTOR does not come to the Mac, is it worth getting an XBox version and playing it that way?
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#11 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

If SW: KOTOR does not come to the Mac, is it worth getting an XBox version and playing it that way?

If that is the only game that you plan to play on the X-Box, I’d personally say that it wouldn’t be worth it. But then again, I’m not a dedicated Star Wars fan, nor am I a heavy duty console gamer. I contemplated getting an X-Box to play Halo back when it looked like Mac users would see hell freeze over before seeing Halo on the Mac. But upon examining the X-Box games that were available, I decided that I wouldn’t play enough of them to make it worthwhile for me.

But all that is my opinion. As X-Box prices continue to drop, it might suddenly become one of those deals that is too good to pass up.

But the final decision is up to you. You’re the only one who can determine whether or not it would be a good thing to do. Of course, within a week of you buying an X-Box and KotOR, Aspyr would announce the game for the Mac.

-Matt

#12 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:44 PM

If that is the only game that you plan to play on the X-Box, I’d personally say that it wouldn’t be worth it.
-Matt

Thanks for the response. I should have noted that I already have an X-Box so I guess I am looking for gamers who have played KOTOR on the X-Box and/or PC and feel if it is worth the $20 I can now get it at. I do not have a whole lot of experience with RPGs though, indeed the last one I played extensively was Spiderweb's Exile II (shareware). I am a pretty big fan of Star Wars though.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#13 MadMatt

MadMatt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:04 PM

You already have an X-Box? If I were in your shoes, I'd have purchased Kotor months ago. While I've never played the game, the reviews have all been very positive.

Unless you're in danger of starving if you spend your last $20 on the game, I'd say it would be a good purchase.

-Matt

#14 Nolem

Nolem

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:28 PM

I had kotor for my xbox and loved it, and I had never played an rpg extensivly before that, I was originally interested in it because of the cool commercials 8)
The story and plot is on of the best there is in my opinion.
The RPG style combat took awhile to get used to but soon became easy and fun.

After playing through it acouple times I sold it on ebay because its the type of game you play through and then don't play anymore once you've seen all there is too see, at least for me anyway...

#15 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:30 PM

Also, it is largely a full-scale mod for Neverwinter Nights (runs on the same engine, with the d20 D&D rules swapped out for the d20 Star Wars rules) so porting it shouldnt be -too- much of a problem.

I think we'll see it, how soon though, who knows?

Well, it's a little bit different than just swapping out the rules. NWN runs on the Aurora engine. KOTOR runs on the Odyssey engine which is some steps above the NWN engine. It wouldn't just be a straight, easy port.
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#16 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 10:45 PM

I'm not a console owner, and one of the things that has kept me from having one is that I assume if I play the same game on my Mac it'll look nicer and I'll have an easier time controlling it with my mouse and keyboard.

I'm tempted, though. but low-res and a gamepad just don't seem like the best way to play KoToR. I guess I, too, would like to hear from folks who've played it both on a PC and on an xbox.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#17 ScottishGerman

ScottishGerman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:20 AM

A friend of mine hooked his Xbox to a Commodore monitor to play KOTOR and it looked rather nice compared to the PC version that was being played in the next room. I noticed that some of the missions you take on that a controller would be nice to have, i.e. racing levels. Who knows if we'll get it but if you can't wait, get the Xbox version if you have an Xbox.
Digital Audio G4 w/ GigaDesigns 1.33Ghz, 1GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 9000Pro 64MB/ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB, IBM 40GB+Seagate 80GB+Maxtor 120GB, Pioneer DVR-107, Logitech Duo Mx

#18 Nolem

Nolem

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:56 AM

I'm not a console owner, and one of the things that has kept me from having one is that I assume if I play the same game on my Mac it'll look nicer and I'll have an easier time controlling it with my mouse and keyboard.

I'm tempted, though. but low-res and a gamepad just don't seem like the best way to play KoToR. I guess I, too, would like to hear from folks who've played it both on a PC and on an xbox.

I don't think its fair to compare the two, even though a tv's res is 800x600 it still looks great compared to games on comp.

They are really two different worlds. :roll:

#19 innuenstu

innuenstu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:45 PM

that game is amazing, it's about time something like it came out. forget it for mac unless you got a 80000,ghz mac

#20 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:56 AM

It could already be on its way, with two new projects being worked on by Westlake Interactive (liver & Onion)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.