Is there interest to pay for an OS X version of Deus Ex?

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#301 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

txa1265, on May 16th 2005, 06:37 AM, said:

I'd also pay $50 for an OS X Jedi Knight, by the way.  Perhaps as high as $100 ;)

Funny, just yesterday I was sitting there thinking how much it was bugging me that I have Dark Forces 1, 3, and 4 but not 2 (Jedi Knight).  And that unlike, say, Quake, there's no way that we can wait a few more years and have an open-source version to port (being Lucasfilm and all).  So yeah, me too....

--Eric

#302 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:34 AM

JonB, on May 15th 2005, 10:01 PM, said:

Complete ignorance? Is there a reason to get snarky?

No there isn't.  I know Endymion well enough to know he meant "complete ignorance of Marathon" and not that you were completely ignorant of everything.  He is too logical to lump everything together like that and he just doesn't talk that way to strangers.  Don't mind us, we are all a bunch of Marathon fans.  My response to you was purely for fun.

It doesn't even matter anyways, my little opinion means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, and should have no bearing at all on your security or stability. This thread is about Deus Ex. Derailing it is counterproductive.

View Post

Right.  Sorry for the distraction.  On with the show!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#303 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

the Battle Cat, on May 16th 2005, 11:34 PM, said:

Don't mind us, we are all a bunch of Marathon fans.

View Post

One time we hooked up the projector to one of our computers, projected it to the building next to our office, and played Marathon at 30ft x 20ft. Twas interesting. But anyways, back to the show!

#304 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:08 PM

Ill be brief: Any news ?

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#305 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Well, now that we know that we've got yet another painful transition ahead of us, how is this news going to affect the possibility of a Deus Ex update?  I can tell you that I would like to be able to play Deus Ex five years from now - it's really that good.  But, assuming that the OSX port is ever going to take place, what does this news mean?  It would be a shame to finally get an OSX version, after five years, only to have it rendered unplayable less than two years later.  I think this game is worth preserving for many years to come.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#306 benwards

benwards

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

I figure there are two options when the Intel stuff rolls in (assuming Deus Ex has been ported to OS X:
1) You'll either be playing Deus Ex on your PPC machine in whatever OS is out at the time, and you'll be just fine.
2) You'll be playing Deus Ex on your Intel machine via Rosetta, and there will likely be a slight speed hit, which won't really be noticeable because a machine from 2006 or 2007 will probably run a 7-year-old game just fine, even if it has to emulate the OS for it.

My 2. :)

#307 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

benwards, on June 7th 2005, 02:09 PM, said:

I figure there are two options when the Intel stuff rolls in (assuming Deus Ex has been ported to OS X:
1) You'll either be playing Deus Ex on your PPC machine in whatever OS is out at the time, and you'll be just fine.
2) You'll be playing Deus Ex on your Intel machine via Rosetta, and there will likely be a slight speed hit, which won't really be noticeable because a machine from 2006 or 2007 will probably run a 7-year-old game just fine, even if it has to emulate the OS for it.

My 2. :)

View Post

But, if it's as easy as they say it is to recompile an app for both processors, why not make it intel/ppc compatible when it's updated for OSX, assuming it ever is?  If it's not updated, then it will be gone for good with the death of Classic.  And, as I said, I don't want to have to keep a second computer around just to play old games.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#308 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

clocknova, on June 7th 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

And, as I said, I don't want to have to keep a second computer around just to play old games.

View Post

As of Monday, I now see this in my future.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#309 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

clocknova, on June 7th 2005, 01:13 PM, said:

But, if it's as easy as they say it is to recompile an app for both processors, why not make it intel/ppc compatible when it's updated for OSX, assuming it ever is?  If it's not updated, then it will be gone for good with the death of Classic.  And, as I said, I don't want to have to keep a second computer around just to play old games.

View Post

I think your answer lies in the future of the Mac version of UTPG. IF/When/How the UTPG version of UT is delivered will, most likely, dictate how the Deus Ex port is delivered.

Don't have any idea what "UTPG" is? utpg.org

abc
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |

#310 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:05 AM

Yes.

#311 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

Also, keep a look out at Ryan Gordon's site,
http://icculus.org/c...pl?user=icculus
cos hes doing the mac port to OSX. Or at leat, trying to...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#312 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:57 PM

teflon, on June 14th 2005, 03:00 PM, said:

Also, keep a look out at Ryan Gordon's site,
http://icculus.org/c...pl?user=icculus
cos hes doing the mac port to OSX. Or at leat, trying to...

View Post

Doh!  I read this earlier and made a post about it, but you beat me too it!
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram