Is there interest to pay for an OS X version of Deus Ex?

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#21 matmanx1

matmanx1

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:38 AM

You'd have my $20 without hesitation.

That kind of depends on the quality of the port, if it is stellar than sure I'd pay. The reason I'm saying this is that Undying (the only other UT1-level game I've played under OS X) ran like total crap on my Mac, which admittedly is not a speedfreak but still above the minimum requirements. If Ryan Gordon's work on UTPG turns out well then maybe using his new codebase to do the port (or just having him do it) would be a good idea...

I'm currently playing Undying on my DP 1.25Ghz with the stock Radeon 9000 Pro at 1280x1024 and all settings maxed.  For me it plays very very well and I havent had a single problem with it.  Seems like a quality port to me if somewhat more difficult than most FPS games.

#22 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:49 AM

Hey Glenda,

Here's an idea - Aspyr's "Lost Classics" series, games that were never ported to OS X as well as a few classics that never made it to the Mac, value priced at $19.99. Deus Ex and Alpha Centauri could be part of this line up, as well as older PC games that would be great to have on the Mac: Half-Life, Planescape Torment, Thief, Grand Theft Auto, to name a few. I'd buy them all. Really.

I know it's an unrealistic for zillions of reasons, but hey, a guy's gotta have dreams  :wink:
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#23 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:57 AM

Hey Glenda,

Here's an idea - Aspyr's "Lost Classics" series, games that were never ported to OS X as well as a few classics that never made it to the Mac, value priced at $19.99. Deus Ex and Alpha Centauri could be part of this line up, as well as older PC games that would be great to have on the Mac: Half-Life, Planescape Torment, Thief, Grand Theft Auto, to name a few. I'd buy them all. Really.

I know it's an unrealistic for zillions of reasons, but hey, a guy's gotta have dreams  :wink:
I don't think its unrealistic, I mean that's pretty much what Macplay's value series is and that did well!

#24 RiscIt

RiscIt

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

Here's an idea - Aspyr's "Lost Classics" series, games that were never ported to OS X as well as a few classics that never made it to the Mac, value priced at $19.99. Deus Ex and Alpha Centauri could be part of this line up, as well as older PC games that would be great to have on the Mac: Half-Life, Planescape Torment, Thief, Grand Theft Auto, to name a few. I'd buy them all. Really. I know it's an unrealistic for zillions of reasons, but hey, a guy's gotta have dreams  :wink:
I don't think its unrealistic...
Half life? for mac? From Aspyr? I'd say it's very unrealistic. The only hope I hold out for Half Life is that someday the code will be released and ported by volunteers ala Aleph One.

'Course, having just played through Half Life again, I'm not really all that enthusiastic about it. Sure, it's great the first time, but in the end it's just a "shoot everything that moves" (unless it's barney or a scientist) game. The opening sequence will always be cool, however.

#25 Hamhock

Hamhock

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

(and Deus Ex X)

Here I go opening a huge can of worms, but....

For Deus Ex fans out there, if a native OS X version of Deus Ex was available as a $19.95 product, but not as a free download for previous DX owners, would you buy it? Or would you be incensed and start six "I hate Aspyr" threads?

Just pure conjecture, read nothing into this please.

Glenda

I'd pay $20 for an OS X version. And if you put out DX: IW, I'd even start an "I love Aspyr" thread.

#26 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:54 AM

I'd pay $20 for an OS X version. And if you put out DX: IW, I'd even start an "I love Aspyr" thread.

I'd start two ;)

Right after I started a 'help me get a comp that could actually run it' thread ;P

#27 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:29 PM

Sorry I pulled this whole thread off course.  IMG Staff, any way to move these messages to a new thread?

Great feedback from everyone.  Like I said, there aren't any plans, but I would love to be able to go back to some older titles we can't currently sell and fix them up.  If we can do it without having to release it completely for free, it makes the business model much stronger.

I'll let you know if anything ever does come of it.  DX was one of my favorite games :)

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#28 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:21 PM

Sorry I pulled this whole thread off course.  IMG Staff, any way to move these messages to a new thread?

For a subject such as this you are very well allowed to pull it off topic =)

Edit: Seems like there was an easy way... my bad.

The following two posts on this has been deleted as to keep this to what it is. A discussion about OS X versions of classic Aspyr games.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#29 Ingue Ferroque

Ingue Ferroque

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:25 PM

Sold! I'll buy two.

#30 dubbaplate

dubbaplate

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Steam Name:Rebel Scum

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:37 PM

I'd purchase a copy.
I only played the demo.. :oops:

dubbaplate

#31 Mumbly-joe

Mumbly-joe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2017 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:57 PM

Just pure conjecture, read nothing into this please.

ASPYR ROXX!!!

yipee! that means Deus ex 2 is coming to mac!!! and that must also mean that half life and BF1942 and half life 2 are on the way too!!! you made my year!!!

:lol:

...yes I'd pay $20

#32 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

I buy!!!!!

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#33 cartooncrackpot

cartooncrackpot

LASMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2407 posts
  • Location:Planet Blortch, home of the slaughtering rat people.

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:15 PM

Having not played the original and not wanting to go back in classic to do so this would make me about a million times more interested in it. Yes ma'am.
The official #IMG comic! Last update: 2004/9/5

#34 CoolG4

CoolG4

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

Absolutely, no questions asked.

#35 Galen

Galen

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:02 PM

From someone who doesn't have/has never really played Deus Ex, I would easilly shell over 20 bucks. :) I'm sure many of the more devout fans would as well.

#36 Peripherus

Peripherus

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:13 PM

For Deus Ex fans out there, if a native OS X version of Deus Ex was available as a $19.95 product, but not as a free download for previous DX owners, would you buy it?

I'd buy it!  :-D

#37 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:20 PM

i guess the question would be, who wouldn't buy it? :)

if i have 20 bucks to blow on entertainment, should this be done, i think i'd buy it too :)
"Nothing here but us text"

#38 Zack

Zack

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2481 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:44 PM

You'd have my $20.

But like someone said, that dpeneds on the quality of the port...
Zack Lipowski
Love, Peace, And Grease.
InsideMacGames

#39 Drunk_caterpillar

Drunk_caterpillar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:45 PM

Pending a quality port, sure, I'd put in my $30 CDN for a copy.

Al

#40 Stickboy

Stickboy

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:13 PM

Hubb-hubba! So long as it was a rock-solid port that made the game fly… sure as hell i'd buy one! You can count on my dough, this is the best news i've heard all year! I ain't got no chance of getting a Mac capable of DX2… and I have a huge DX-shaped hole in my life. Aspyr, please will you fill my hole?
--to label yourself is to limit yourself--