437 replies to this topic

#41 matmanx1

matmanx1

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:58 AM

Already posted in the other thread but I would definately like to see Deus Ex carbonized and I'd definately shell out the $20.  Other classics I'd like to see?  Tomb Raider Gold and Escape from Monkey Island would be welcome!

This is a great idea!

#42 nickf

nickf

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:22 AM

Unreal was a Macsoft game, not Aspyr.
I'm pretty sure some people wouldn't mind seeing the earlier Tomb Raider games updated.  

Too right. I'd be very happy to play updated versions of TR1,2 and 3.

#43 OlsonBW

OlsonBW

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:50 AM

Yes I would pay for old games like Dues EX and the Thief series if they were converted to Mac OS X. $19.95 sounds good to me. If there is a series I would most likely buy the series if they were bundled or not.

#44 mbravos

mbravos

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:51 AM

I personally think that the best way about re-releasing these games would be in bundles, i.e. perhaps 3-5 games per pack. I'd be willing to pay maybe $35-$45 for a pack, but not necessarily $20/game.  

If you do this online only you could even have people put their own bundles together, e.g. you can pick 3 games for $xx plus S&H.

The make your own bundle idea is brilliant.  I generally avoid bundled games (like Aladdin's X for X) because I already own several of the games included or have absolutely no interest in others.  

That said, I'd pay $10 for Deus Ex "X", but honestly I can't think of any other old Aspyr game that I'd want.  There's no list of out of print games at the Aspry website.

#45 lundo

lundo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:54 AM

I own a good number of aspyr games including Deus Ex.  and I would easily pay 20 dollars for an OS X version.  and I would also easly pay 50 bucks for a classics OS X pack.  I now have a G5 and rebooting into OS 9 and playing them is now impossible.

#46 adamsan

adamsan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:09 AM

I'd love an OS X DX either standalone or bundled with some other stuff. Being outside the States I'd most like a downloadable patch for $10-15 to avoid the general price shafting that foreign mac gamers have to put up with. Though this may not matter so much if the dollar keeps dropping ;-)

#47 Vern Xiong

Vern Xiong

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

I am so tempted to buy some of those Combo packs, but alas...  I already own some games, or there are some games that I just don't want at all that are only in 9.  

When creating Combo Packs, they have to make sense like, a Tomb Raider pack is fine.  But stick to the series.

I'd love to have DX, but I would love to pay $20, and get it in it's own DVD case/Small Box.

Vern

#48 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:15 AM

I wouldn't limit my thinking to those who've already bought and played through these games; great games should continue to be avilable for future users as well.

Look at the way Blizzard maintains their older games - I can still go and get my butt kicked at Warcraft 2 and Diablo on BattleNet any time I want, or go and buy a copy of Diablo or W2BNE for $10 or so. Continuing to support great games is good business. I'm sure Blizzard still sells lots of their early games. My 13 year old son and his friends are all currently caught up in Diablo, which is a 7 YEAR old game, and their going at it with all the fervor of the people who got it when it was brand new. Why? Because of outstanding gameplay.

Some day I'm sure that he'll get the same charge out of Deus Ex, or Fallout, or any other great game. I know, because I am usually several years behind the cutting edge, and tend to get my games when all the dust has settled and people have moved on to the latest and greatest. Believe me, Deus Ex will stand the test of time. Aspyr probably wouldn't make back their porting costs from past users, but I'll bet they would from future users, provided the games are properly marketed, priced, and are easily available.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#49 Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Fan

• IMG Writers
  • 19 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

Personally I think it'd be an excellent idea to update old Classic-only titles to OS X. I suppose that the order in which to do them would be dictated by how well each had sold, but the ideal final outcome would be to have everything (or as much as possible) running natively.

Tomb Raider would be a good example, I reckon. People have been asking about Tomb Raider Gold being updated, but no-one so far has mentioned the Tomb Raider Trilogy. I reviewed that for IMG a couple of years ago (here) and it was excellent (it included the first three games, some enhanced, along with all of their expansion packs, some of which hadn't been out on the Mac before). But it was only available for a short time; somebody emailed me last year, asking where he could get it, and it simply wasn't available to buy from anywhere any more. If any actual, physical reissues are to be made, that would surely classify as a prime candidate to be re-released for Mac OS X, because (a) it's a heck of a good compilation, and (B) it'd contain a set of games that people would actually want to play again.

As for how much to charge for these things... well, I reckon that a two-tier system would be the best idea.

Asking people to pay full price for an OS X update to a game they own already would not be fair, I feel, and if they've bought it once and got most of their potential enjoyment out of it already, then even $20 is probably a bit on the steep side. That's still the price of many full new games. However, there are plenty of games from the back-catalogue that people would probably still be happy to pay for if they don't have them already, but they're put off if they can only be used in Classic mode.

I, for instance, do not have Deus Ex. I would like it, and if it were availble now, at say $20, in an OS X-native version, I would certainly buy it at that price. (It was available on the Aspyr site for $5 last year, if memory serves, and I very nearly ordered it, but the fact that it was Classic-only put me off.)

So I reckon that a two-tier approach would be a good thing to do, as follows:

1. Make the new OS X-native applications (but not the game data!) available for download for a sensible price: e.g. $5 to $15 depending on the popularity, sophistication or replay value of each game. So users who've bought a game already can download a new OS X installer that works with the CD they already own, and which costs a sensible amount of money that's less than buying it all over again.

2. Reissue the older games, individually and/or in a compilation pack, for a higher price, but a price that's less than the game originally cost. We are, after all, talking about games that are now several years old and not cutting-edge.

The Tomb Raider Trilogy would be a perfect example. I'm pretty sure it cost $30 when it was new (which was great value at the time), and it could still easily sell for $25 given the amount of value in it, if updated for OS X. But a lot of players will have some or all of the TR games already, so the three upgrades could be sold individually (i.e. 3x TR # + Gold) for, say, $10 apiece.

Same for Deus Ex. Reissue it, say, for $20 for people to buy if they don't own it already (like me), and also make an application-only upgrade available for $10 for all the fans who want it but don't want to have to buy a second copy.

In the longer term, as many companies as possible should do this for as much software as possible. Games are ephemeral, but we all have favourites that we'd like to play again. Some upgrades could even be offered for free, if they don't involve a lot of development work (e.g. the ones that are just a simple recompile - and yes, some do fall into that category!).

Mac OS Classic is dead, and porting to Mac OS X is likely to give several years' more life to any game, so it's surely got to make sense.

Please go ahead with this, Glenda; and so should anyone else in a similar position.

#50 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:20 AM

DX would be great. Not a fan of the other games mentioned here. Who published Rune... MacSoft or Aspyr? How about the original Unreal? Make it an Unreal engine package!

#51 Guest_Harukaba_*

Guest_Harukaba_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:22 AM

I would also like a Mac OS X version of some of the Aspyr games and being able to play Deus Ex would be wonderful since I have decided not to install OS 9 on my computer.

I don't know what other games would be considered in the porting to OS X since I don't have a list of all the games Aspyr has ever released so I don't know which ones I would like to see ported.

However, I would rather buy each game seperately or be able to buy 2 or 3 games of my choosing for a higher price. This is because there are some games I don't have an interest in and if the bundle had Deus Ex and two other games which were either bad or not interesting to me for $40 then I wouldn't buy the bundle. If I could choose from 6 or so games to make a bundle of my choosing for $40 or could buy each game seperately for $20 then I would do so in a heartbeat.

#52 lial

lial

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:23 AM

There are a few classic Mac games I'd buy again if they were ported to Mac OS X.  Deus Ex is one of them.

#53 goMac

goMac

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:33 AM

I registered in this forum just to post that I would gladly pay for a fully OS X version of Deus Ex. A few things that would be nice would be support for wide screen resolutions and FSAA (obviously it would have to be ported to OpenGL to run on OS X, which would just require finishing up the OpenGL code). Boosted graphics would be a nice touch and I'd pay $25 for such a package.

I would rather pay for it by itself, and get a nice box and manual with it. I never actually bought the original game sadly, I borrowed it from a friend who actually didn't like the game (imagine that!), so getting the whole package would be nice.

#54 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:33 AM

Oh yeah, I'd pay a couple of bucks ($25 absolute MAX!) to play an OS X-native version of Deus Ex on my setup!

Escape from Monkey Island would be nice to play natively, too.  I think circa $19.95 would be my cutoff on this one.

Lower on the list would have to be Madden 2000.  Not having to worry about 3dfx support would probably save more than a few headaches in development time.

I really wished I could have finished Rune in OS X (and purchased the add on- if made OS X-native), too... but I've no idea who has publishing rights from G.o.D. now.

Thanks for taking an interest, Glenda!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#55 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:41 AM

I really wished I could have finished Rune in OS X (and purchased the add on- if made OS X-native), too... but I've no idea who has publishing rights from G.o.D. now.

I was just thinking the exact same thing!  But Rune actually does play fairly well in Classic (assuming you have a fast machine... and Classic installed).  Unfortunately, only RAVE mode works.  The game runs well enough for me to play Rune Coop (which ironically uses an OS X only Java based installer... a volunteer offered to create a Mac installer.  Can't complain too much).

#56 Genob32

Genob32

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:42 AM

First off, you all can argue with me if you want, but that's not the issue of this thread.  Deus Ex is the greatest game ever made.  So good, in fact, that booting into OS 9 to play does not bother me in the least (it works all wonky for me in classic, like RiscIt says).

Nevertheless, a carbonized version would be the greatest news for me (besides the news of a DX:IW port).  I often play games like Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy (excellent games as well, btw) while running other processes in the background, and there is little or no slowdown.  Whether or not I can do this in 9, I don't know, but I do *all* of my work in X.

One thing, though.  I use a Contour Unimouse, and use left button for fire, right button for open doors/pick up items/holster weapon/etc., and middle button for SCOPE.  I have tried using a similar button configs for my mouse in OS X (in Aspyr games and otherwise), and the middle button does not work as designed (starts scrolling through inventory/weapons randomly in most games).  I hope DX carbon, if made, would fix this problem.  Of course, this is not likely, since the problem is almost certainly in Contour Designs' Unimouse X driver.

Enough with my rant.  The original Deus Ex port is Aspyr's crowning achievement IMHO, and it would be great to see it updated to work with one of Apple's latest achievements.  I would definitely pay $20 bucks or so, and I'd also like a Monkey Island 4 port to OSX since I haven't played it (I have played the demo, and I love Lucasarts adventure games in general).

Thanks for the thread, Glenda, and remember, a bomb is a BAD choice for close combat.

btw, anyone have that problem with the OSX drivers for their mulitbutton mice?

#57 Elandrion

Elandrion

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:44 AM

yes, i'd buy DX as a standalone version for 20. A pity that the original UT isn't an Aspyr product (?), it would be very cool to have this carbonisation finalized too. Another carbonisation i'd love to see would be Rogue Spear.

Elandrion

#58 kenshin9

kenshin9

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:57 AM

OMG that would be like a dream for me...

I would love an Aspyr classics series.  Especially if you could upgrade the games to OSX and so on.  The first titles should definitely be Deus Ex and Escape from Monkey Island as personally the only reason I passed on those was no OSX support.  I think that $15-$20 would be an ideal price for a re-packaging of the games.  Possibly offering a cd of the OSX version of the app might work for those just wanting to upgrade.

Anyway please please please do it and put them in little DVD cases so they can be happy  :-D .

#59 johnwillo

johnwillo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:57 AM

I would gladly pay $20-$50 for an OS X native version of DX.  I would not pay for EFMI, or any of the Tomb Raider games.  I would probably avoid a bundle, unless it was the only way to get DX for X.  Thanks for asking, it's a great idea.

#60 Sol

Sol

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:59 AM

I would rather see Aspyr concentrating on future games. I know Deus X is considered a classic game but if I had to choose between that and something new, like Rebellion's Judge Dredd vs Judge Death, I would choose the newer game.

Having said that, there are a lot of old PC games that would not need as much effort to port as Deus X and would work great as budget titles. I would love to see the PlayStation/Windows game Rollcage on the Mac as well as the Resident Evil games.

Sorry Deus X fans, but at least you had a chance to play that game on your Macs.
I am the law.