437 replies to this topic

#21 Stickboy

Stickboy

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:06 PM

I know Unreal was published my MacSoft and this is an Aspyr thread butů I loved Unreal! I think it would be the perfect FPS for all those 800MHz (or less) iBook & iMac owners out there (such as myself). At the moment, only SiN and AvP 1 really powers along on these machines, and I finished that ages ago.
It all depnds on whether companies such as the honorable Glenda's think there is a sufficent market in owners of computers that fall between legacy and recently released. Since I for know *no-one* who upgrades their machine more than once every 4-6 years, I reckon such a market is just waiting to be tapped, and a cheap, boxed version of Unreal (+ never the before released on Mac OS expansion pack?) would fill that niche just perfectly. IMHO.
--to label yourself is to limit yourself--

#22 Who Knows?

Who Knows?

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:17 PM

I think EFMI and DX are great starters, I do wonder if the classic apps could also be included ( if the new versions don't run in 9).  I would say whether bundled are not is better depends on the games.  Right now I can't think of some of the older titles as they really aren't listed on aspyr's site.
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#23 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:50 PM

This topic is called 'Aspyr Lost Classics', not Bungie's Lost Classics...
Yeah, I know what the name of the thread is, but she did ask what favorites we wanted, not specifically Aspyr games (although the title says Aspyr).

As far as Deus Ex goes, I really liked the game the first time through, but I've only played it through once since it's a pain to boot into Mac OS 9 (the best thing about Mac OS X is that if you left the main sound on mute when you started the game, you can unmute it without quitting).  I suppose I'd pay a small fee like $10 to get the game carbonized, but it's really not worth much more just so that I don't have to restart my computer.  

So, if you want to know what I think, I think that it's a waste of Aspyr's time to carbonize Deus Ex.  Just spend your time porting the games that get the best reviews on the PC side and you'll be all right.  The one case that I think that Aspyr could turn a profit is (and correct me if this is impossibly hard) to transfer the game to the UT2003 or UT2004 engine and sell it at full price.  It's probably really  hard to do that (I can only do C++ programming, so I wouldn't know), but I wanted to take a long shot since Deus Ex is based on the UT engine.  There's my short essay for the night!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#24 Vader

Vader

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:18 PM

I would like to see Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Gold come to OS X and i would be more than willing to pay for them.  :)

#25 benwards

benwards

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:42 AM

The one case that I think that Aspyr could turn a profit is (and correct me if this is impossibly hard) to transfer the game to the UT2003 or UT2004 engine and sell it at full price.  It's probably really  hard to do that (I can only do C++ programming, so I wouldn't know), but I wanted to take a long shot since Deus Ex is based on the UT engine.  There's my short essay for the night!

That would be so sweet...I would certainly pay full price for a version of Deus Ex with modern graphics. It's probably hard to the point of impossible, or just plain not worth it. Times like this make me want to learn how to code games.  ;-P

#26 Clave

Clave

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:46 AM

I would like to see Deus Ex and Tomb Raider Gold come to OS X and i would be more than willing to pay for them.  :)

#27 RiscIt

RiscIt

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:53 AM

The one case that I think that Aspyr could turn a profit is (and correct me if this is impossibly hard) to transfer the game to the UT2003 or UT2004 engine and sell it at full price.  It's probably really  hard to do that (I can only do C++ programming, so I wouldn't know), but I wanted to take a long shot since Deus Ex is based on the UT engine.
That's quite the long shot. UT is either C or C++ (no i've never seen the code but I'd be flat out amazed if it was anything else). If you know C++, then you know C. The only major difference is a few things (primarily object oriented syntax) you can't do the same way with C, but it's just as powerful (classes are just more [overly] complex extensions to structs - the compiled code is nearly identicle).

Most of the game code is uscript, a VM language developed for the unreal engines. This wouldn't require much porting unless the interpreter has had lots of changes between revisions (quite possible).

In any case, it would be a huge undertaking, with little benefit in the end. Even after you update the engine to support the old data formats (similar as they may be), you wouldn't be able to use any of the new bells and whistles without going back and adding the neat shaders and entities types to the old content.

Definitely not worth it.

#28 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:04 AM

My top 4:
1. Madden 2000 (Hey Feral releashed F1 2000, an old EA game!)
2. Deus EX
3. Escape from Monkey Island
4. Tomb Raider Gold

I would prefer them in a bundle.

But selling them individually would be ok too.
I just want Madden 2000 on OSX! :lol:
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#29 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:04 AM

The one case that I think that Aspyr could turn a profit is (and correct me if this is impossibly hard) to transfer the game to the UT2003 or UT2004 engine and sell it at full price.  It's probably really  hard to do that (I can only do C++ programming, so I wouldn't know), but I wanted to take a long shot since Deus Ex is based on the UT engine.  There's my short essay for the night!

Oh, come on, man.  It shouldn't take a programmer to figure out how improbable that would be ;)  Look at how many changes the Unreal Engine went through to get from UT to UT2K3.  You can tell just by looking at it.  Profit?  Highly unlikely considering how much money would be needed to update the game to a new engine.  We're talking about new content here, something the PC developers usually spend money working on.  When new content comes into play, we're talking about mega bucks.  It would be cool though...

#30 Firestarter

Firestarter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:12 AM

American McGee's Alice was wicked....

#31 griel

griel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:13 AM

I have a hard time accepting the concept of buying the same game twice. Yeah I know it costs money to do a carbon patch but $20 seems pretty steep. For most of these games I'm more likely go find the pc version for $5 or $10 in the bargain bin. I would love to be able to play deus ex and EFMI in osx but they aren't worth $60-$70 to me.

#32 rpg

rpg

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:20 AM

Glenda, you are my savior!  I hoped this would happen!  I would kill for a carbon version of Monkey Island 4 and Deus Ex.

I'm sure there are a bunch of others that would be great carbonized as well.  Any list?

Frankly, if I love the game enough I'll pay for an osx version.  Especially Monkey Island with my Radeon 9800 pro FSAA goodness!

20 bucks is not that much people.  

If you really have a problem with buying the game again, then sell your old copy on ebay.  You should be able to make at least ten bucks.

Please Glenda, do it!

#33 RiscIt

RiscIt

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:26 AM

I hoped this would happen!
It hasn't yet.

Breath... ready?

In.......    and out.  

In..........   And Out

In...............

I wonder how long he can hold it......   :-D

#34 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:33 AM

And is already Carbonized if I am not mistaken.

#35 Firestarter

Firestarter

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:47 AM

And is already Carbonized if I am not mistaken.

Bloody hell! Yes, it is! :o

#36 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:20 AM

Hey Glenda!

I'm dreaming of Aspyr getting an internal Carbonisation team happening - port all the foreign apps to Mac OS X and charging an upgrade fee for the upgrades - that would be excellent!

It's about time someone came to realise there was a business in porting games from OS 9 to OS X!

Kiel :-)

#37 robeddie

robeddie

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:18 AM

1) Risk II

2) Madden 2000

#38 RAF++

RAF++

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:26 AM

YES

Deus Ex is awesome.

#39 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:20 AM

This topic is called 'Aspyr Lost Classics', not Bungie's Lost Classics...
Yeah, I know what the name of the thread is, but she did ask what favorites we wanted, not specifically Aspyr games (although the title says Aspyr).

No, actually if you read her whole question it plainly states any Aspyr game in the last 6 years. :)

#40 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:28 AM

I personally think that the best way about re-releasing these games would be in bundles, i.e. perhaps 3-5 games per pack. I'd be willing to pay maybe $35-$45 for a pack, but not necessarily $20/game.

If you do this online only you could even have people put their own bundles together, e.g. you can pick 3 games for $xx plus S&H.