#1 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:23 PM

From another thread...

I'd like to gauge feedback from gamers on whether they'd be willing to buy their favorite older games if they were re-released in nice shiny new OS X compatible versions.

The particular game that started this discussion was Deus Ex.  I originally asked if DX X was available for $19.95 would you buy it (even if you owned the original). I'd love to continue to get feedback on that (so far response was very positive).

But I'd also welcome feedback on any other games- anything else Aspyr shipped in the past 6 years you'd buy as an updated OS X version?  And would you be more likely to buy one game for $19.95 or a collection of 3 games for $39-$49?  Hard-core gamers (and DX fans) are welcome, but I'd also love to hear from people who never played some of these original games, or who are casual fans.

Post away!  Here's your chance to provide some direction to the Mac game market!

Thanks,
Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#2 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:31 PM

Actually, I was able to split the old thread into two, the one concerning this can be found here.

I had completely forgotten that there was a split function... for some reason I though it was a merge function...

This actually calls for an emoticon  :oops:

My bad
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#3 hervon

hervon

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:34 PM

I got Deux Ex from a friend who sold his mac for a PC...  The problem is ... My mac does not boot OS 9 and Deux Ex s**ck in Classic.  I would love to play this game in OS X.  20 US $ would be the maximum i'm willing to pay for this though.

#4 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:35 PM

I'd certainly pay for Deus Ex again. Though, I'd be more likely to pay for it in a combo pack. Ideally for me would be a Deus Ex/Deus Ex 2 combo. Obviously though, who knows if that would ever come to pass.

Ben

#5 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

I own Deus Ex. Every Mac that I have tried it with via Classic mode has played it very well, from a dual 500MHz G4 to a dual 1.25 MDD tower. But I would still rather play it as a native app as the RAVE plugin leaves the graphics looking on the dark side--I'm such a perfectionist I reboot the computer just to get the crisper, brighter graphics.

I would buy a value pack of additional games at a higher price just to get this one game--I can't jump to any other previously released Aspyr games immediately because I own a lot of them! But I would grab it just to get this game as a Mac OS X native application--the others would be a bonus as well.

Maybe Unreal would be a good one, but with the Oldskool mod, this game is playable via Unreal Tournament, but I don't know what the situation is with Ryan Gordon's UTPG (I always assumed it would be a free download once completed) so it's hard to say how that would fit well.

#6 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

It's never too late to give additional life to a great game. I hope that people will someday consider video games they way they consider film. It doesn't matter if the graphics, or special effects, are cutting edge, if the gameplay, or story, is great. People never hold it against Humphrey Bogart that his fils are black and white, and I wish older games that were great would get the same consideration. Moving them to X would be a start.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#7 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:19 PM

I would pay 20-50 dollers for Jedi Knight 1   :-D

#8 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:23 PM

Unreal was a Macsoft game, not Aspyr.
I'm pretty sure some people wouldn't mind seeing the earlier Tomb Raider games updated.  

A lot of people like SMAC, and a bunch of Carbonization work has already been done, but since the patch is available for free I'm not sure if people would be willing to pay $20 for the final release.

Madden would be nice, and if it ended up fixing the sound bug...

Escape From Monkey Island... Mmm.. That'd be cool.

I'm looking at the Aspyr game listings and Deus Ex isn't even listed... sold out?  Crap, some of the older games aren't listed.  I'm going to have to look at my library of games when I get home.

#9 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:33 PM

I'm looking at the Aspyr game listings and Deus Ex isn't even listed... sold out?  Crap, some of the older games aren't listed.  I'm going to have to look at my library of games when I get home.

Yeah I went through my boxes too and didn't find a game I'd want except for Deus Ex, but a list might be good.

#10 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

I'd like to see either a straight carbonization or modded Halo copy of Marathon 1, 2, and Infinity.  Of course, I understand that Bungie would probably have to do that one.  If you used Halo, I'd pay $50 for each one.  The storyline is great, and with newer graphics, I'm sure Marathon would be a cross-platform hit.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#11 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

This topic is called 'Aspyr Lost Classics', not Bungie's Lost Classics...

Glenda - is there a listing of all the old games, or all the games that have come out in the past 6 years on the Aspyr site somewhere?

#12 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

I would enjoy to see Alpha Centauri and the expansion pack Alien Crossfire come to OS X.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#13 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:40 PM

I would definitely buy Deus Ex and Escape from Monkey Island again if they were ported to Mac OS X.
I live in Mexifornia.

#14 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:41 PM

I would enjoy to see Alpha Centauri and the expansion pack Alien Crossfire come to OS X.

http://www.brad-oliv...C_Carbon_b3.sit

#15 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

How about the folks that already own Deus Ex get a small discount if they have a proof of purchase of some sort? Perhaps they could send in their old copy for a coupon to get a new OS X version?

I myself have NEVER played Deus Ex or owned it, so a discount really wouldn't help me.  :oops: Since everybody seems to just love the game, I would definitely give it a check out if it is re-released for OS X, so that I don't feel like an outcast.

I would like to see a list of old non-OS X games that Aspyr has published in order to name other games that I would like to see OS X-ized.

#16 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:46 PM

This topic is called 'Aspyr Lost Classics', not Bungie's Lost Classics...

Glenda - is there a listing of all the old games, or all the games that have come out in the past 6 years on the Aspyr site somewhere?

I don't think so, I'll have to dig around and see if I can find something like that.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#17 ProfessorX

ProfessorX

Swift like ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:47 PM

Glenda, I'd likely buy either or both, if DX was not part of the three pack.

I miss the oldies.

#18 Drax

Drax

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 04:57 PM

i would not spend the 20 bucks only because it works great in classic.

#19 Momus

Momus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:41 PM

I would love to have a chance to play the pre-Angel of Darkness Tomb Raider games in OS X.  I loved them in classic, and I would love them again in OS X.

#20 RiscIt

RiscIt

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:01 PM

I've already answered in the original thread, but I'll chime in again here:

Yes, yes, and yes. Oh, and yes too, please.

I'd love to ditch classic. DeusEx is the only reason I keep it around.

As for whomever thinks it runs great it classic...

1. occasional crashes (I don't remember them when running native)
2. levels are too dark, even with various config file mods
3. flashlight is broken. (light entity stays wherever you you turn it on, and doesn't move with you. turning it off and back on does not help)
4. Slower than running native (almost unplayable)
5. full screen tints are off center (lam blasts, EMP field effects, and underwater blue shadeing.. all off center) leaving a strip of unaffected screen on the right.
6. I feel dirty using classic. Very, very dirty.

Cleanse me for $20! Hell, throw in some soap and I'll make it $25!  :lol: