Time to merge General and Mac OS X forums?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fuzz_ball

fuzz_ball

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:52 PM

Previously the two forums existed during the crossover from 9 to X. Basically most people posted their generic gaming or OS 9 specific questions in General, and only went to the Mac OS X forum for X specific gaming issues. Since 9 was laid to rest, and it seems all games these days support X, and some of them no longer support 9; wouldn't it make sense at this point to just merge the two forums? Just a thought...

#2 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:41 PM

Maybe we should merge the General and OS X forums as you said, and create an OS 9 forum. =) But you're right, there is a lot of redundancy between said forums.
I live in Mexifornia.

#3 Bigfat

Bigfat

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

Mrs. Off Topic doesn't like this idea. Think of the consequences!

#4 musicdisciple

musicdisciple

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 10:59 AM

Some of us got discussing this in chat about 6 months ago when I was the only one around still using 9. Even I've moved to X now.

#5 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:53 PM

I still say we segregate the OS 9 users.
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#6 mangoman

mangoman

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:59 PM

I agree (whatever the *bleep* that's worth). Merge, baby, merbe, baby, 1-2-3.

#7 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:54 PM

I disagree that its time to lock the Mac OS X forum. Since the OS is updated so often, it's good to know what works and what breaks. What software you can use with OS X, etc, etc.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#8 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:06 AM

Then it sounds to me like the OS X forum should be renamed to "3rd Party Software". Usually, reports of stuff breaking are reported to the general and troubleshooting forum anyway.
I live in Mexifornia.

#9 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:33 AM

I think we should  have the OS X forum for less gaming related OS X stuff, since that's about what it have been lately. Questions on compabilities with games and non-game related topics seems to dominate it.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#10 loneAzdgari

loneAzdgari

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 1278 posts
  • Location:That layer of crap on the floor after a house party

Posted 07 December 2003 - 06:41 AM

Yea, i think it's time we have a culling of all OS 9 users. Cut off their lifelines by making IMG a safari only application. Brilliant idea. Glad Biablo thought of it.

#11 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:06 PM

Yea, i think it's time we have a culling of all OS 9 users. Cut off their lifelines by making IMG a safari only application. Brilliant idea. Glad Biablo thought of it.
DEATH TO THE OS9ERS! INFIDELS!

#12 Gusbenz

Gusbenz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 05:19 PM

I happen to like both 9 and 10. So I say keep em both.

#13 mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:31 PM

Okay, can you guys (and gals?) please make up your minds about the General and OS X forums?  It no longer makes any sense -- for example, there are tons of Halo threads in the General forum, yet every once in a while, one of them gets moved to the OS X forum because Halo is an OS X-only game.

Since a majority of the new games are now OS X-only, does it make sense to have a segregated OS X forum for gaming, especially since it now means that users looking for OS X gaming topics are sent to both the General and OS X forums (which seem to duplicate the various topics quite often)?
2.66GHz Mac Pro | 2.66GHz 15" MBP | 1.2GHz G4 Cube | 2x 2.0GHz Intel Mini

NASA Mid-Atlantic SpecE30 driver #59

#14 Lt.Page

Lt.Page

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

ok- heres what you should do:

its not cool to make it look like youre segregating OS X anymore.  besides, no one uses OS 9, do they?  this is a gaming forum, not an archaeology or hey i got that really old thing working again! themed forum, so lets make it all os x.  theres are already  troubleshooting and hardware sections.  so make an OS 9 section.  only call it the Classic section, because thats tres chic these days.
Do; or Do Not.  There is no try.
Pat yourself on the back if you know who Lt.Page is.

#15 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

its not cool to make it look like youre segregating OS X anymore.  besides, no one uses OS 9, do they?  this is a gaming forum, not an archaeology or hey i got that really old thing working again! themed forum, so lets make it all os x.  theres are already  troubleshooting and hardware sections.  so make an OS 9 section.  only call it the Classic section, because thats tres chic these days.

There is an OS 9 forum already. ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#16 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:11 PM

its not cool to make it look like youre segregating OS X anymore.  besides, no one uses OS 9, do they?  this is a gaming forum, not an archaeology or hey i got that really old thing working again! themed forum, so lets make it all os x.  theres are already  troubleshooting and hardware sections.  so make an OS 9 section.  only call it the Classic section, because thats tres chic these days.

There is an OS 9 forum already. ;)

Wait....you got rid of it....
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#17 Sir Fartzalot

Sir Fartzalot

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:01 PM

There are many games that havn't been upgraded to X and don't run that well under Classic so there are still people that go into 9 occasionally. In fact, I use my ibook (which is what I'm typing this on) to run OS 9 only.

#18 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:50 PM

We had an OS 9 forum. No one ever used it.

Tuncer
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#19 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • 5632 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:09 PM

Ok, the was an OS 9 forum already. That's what I get for always checking "view posts since last visit", I never see what forums we still have ;)

***END MESSAGE***

#20 dac

dac

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Location:Deep within the Dac-Cave, under a resplendent mansion in Hertfordshire, England

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:43 PM

Ok, to stop the confusion, why not simply rename the OS X forum "OS Issues", or words to that effect.  The theme of that forum could simply be for people to post thread about news, additions, upgrades, problems, etc with the actual OS they're using.

As it stands, I just think the forum names are confusing, particularly for new users who might post a general gaming thread in the OS X forum despite there possibly already being a similar thread in the General forum that's getting more replies.