#41 Michal Trepka

Michal Trepka

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:30 AM

Hello,

I know some of you wait for first release, but I'm afraid I must ask you for little more patience. I'm doing rather well, and right now I have whole UI working, as well as mission loading, so you can  change options, start the game and actually almost play it. Almost...
The problem is that many things don't render correctly, some do not render at all and mouse gets weird after command-click - these are things I'm working on now. As soon as I fix these, I'll release playable version (and source code) and merge my code with Linux port, but this will take a little more time.
I spend on this port as much time as I can (and still wonder how my wife stands it ;-), but there are days where I don't have time and/or energy to do more coding, especially after hard day at work (and there are days, where I back home at 9 pm, or sometimes at 6 am :( )
Anyway, as I said - wait a little more and you will finally play Homeworld on Mac :)

Cheers,
Michal

#42 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:54 PM

thnkx for the update :)
"Nothing here but us text"

#43 DanTheMan

DanTheMan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:45 PM

I wonder, if the original Homeworld can be ported over to Mac, perhaps Cataclysm can be ported over as well? That would be awesome. (Can't remember correctly as usual, but I thought both games used the same engine, so...)

At any rate, keep up the good work Mr. Trepka!

#44 pelorus

pelorus

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:40 PM

I spend on this port as much time as I can (and still wonder how my wife stands it ;-), but there are days where I don't have time and/or energy to do more coding, especially after hard day at work (and there are days, where I back home at 9 pm, or sometimes at 6 am :( )
Anyway, as I said - wait a little more and you will finally play Homeworld on Mac :)

Hi Michal,

Hope things get a bit easier for you. If there's anything that you think the Homeworld-wanting Mac community could do, then suggest. I'd suggest that a project page and a paypal link would be a good start :)

M

#45 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:35 AM

Hello,

I know some of you wait for first release, but I'm afraid I must ask you for little more patience. I'm doing rather well, and right now I have whole UI working, as well as mission loading, so you can  change options, start the game and actually almost play it. Almost...
The problem is that many things don't render correctly, some do not render at all and mouse gets weird after command-click - these are things I'm working on now. As soon as I fix these, I'll release playable version (and source code) and merge my code with Linux port, but this will take a little more time.

Cheers,
Michal

Wow! You're making good progress for a sole porter! Next thing you know Aspyr will offer you a job :lol:

I know some Mac gamers will kick my butt for this but make sure you give your family some time... it's more important than a 4 year old game (that I'd really like to see on the Mac! Argh!)

Thanks dude!

Kiel :-)

#46 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 11:48 AM

Will it be PC-Networking Compatible?
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#47 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

i vaguely remember reading somewhere that you won't be able to play with PC's with the Linux port of Homeworld.  Although i'm not 100% sure, not even 50%, and i don't know how this translates into the mac version.  So basically ignore what i said :)

#48 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:30 AM

just incase you'er all still wondering about network,  found my source which says

Network support in Homeworld uses a third-party library whose source was         also not included with the game source.  As such, network support is         currently not planned, but it is possible that it may be reimplemented at         a later time (although not compatible with WONnet or the original Windows         version of Homeworld).

so Linux/Mac network is a bigger possibility than Windows/Linux/Mac

#49 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

So can we go out and just pick up a copy of the original Homeworld (PC) disks and then use the resources off that to run the Mac program?

DaveyJJ

#50 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:20 PM

yes, you'll need an orginal Homeworld disc

#51 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

yes, you'll need an orginal Homeworld disc

Thanks. It's availble for CDN$9.99 at a local big box retailer.

David JJ

#52 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:12 AM

So can we go out and just pick up a copy of the original Homeworld (PC) disks and then use the resources off that to run the Mac program?

DaveyJJ

You'll be waiting a while, I'd probably suggest you buy it when the Mac version is actually avaliable.

#53 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:45 PM

I found it for $5 at a used software store. I remembered this thread so I picked it up. I wanted to be ready when the Mac port was done. I've actually been able to play it in VPC. Albeit with software rendering, and some control problems.

#54 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:53 PM

You'll be waiting a while, I'd probably suggest you buy it when the Mac version is actually avaliable.

Actually, given the age of the game, I'd suggest if you want to play it, pick up a copy now if you can find it. It's not going to get any easier to find as time goes on. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#55 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

Actually, given the age of the game, I'd suggest if you want to play it, pick up a copy now if you can find it. It's not going to get any easier to find as time goes on. ;)

It was like that with Freespace 2. It cost me a lot to buy that game used.

#56 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:56 AM

You have a valid point there - I was thinking it'd be like titles such as Doom 1. Thank you for pointing it out.

#57 mbravos

mbravos

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:10 AM

Sierra has actually released Homeworld as part of a greatest hits series, so it is fairly easy to find these days.  It's $10 at places like Compusa and Best Buy.  It's also available from a company in the UK called Sold Out Software in a greatest hits series for around $10 and they ship to the US.  That said, who knows if it will be easy to find 6 months from now.  

Now, finding Homeworld: Cataclysm cheap is much more difficult.  If you're really interested in that go to gogamer.com where it can be had for $12 which is about half the price of anywhere else.  Gogamer.com sells the UK version of Homeworld for $10 also (no difference in the actual playability of the UK version as far as I can tell).  I picked up both and have been playing a little on a pc while I cross my fingers for a mac executable.

#58 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

Now, finding Homeworld: Cataclysm cheap is much more difficult.  If you're really interested in that go to gogamer.com where it can be had for $12 which is about half the price of anywhere else.  Gogamer.com sells the UK version of Homeworld for $10 also (no difference in the actual playability of the UK version as far as I can tell).  I picked up both and have been playing a little on a pc while I cross my fingers for a mac executable.
then again we don't know yet if we will be able to play cataclysm with the port.  so i'd either hold your money till you know or find a friend that has it and steal his CD :P

#59 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:50 AM

Now, finding Homeworld: Cataclysm cheap is much more difficult.  If you're really interested in that go to gogamer.com where it can be had for $12 which is about half the price of anywhere else.  Gogamer.com sells the UK version of Homeworld for $10 also (no difference in the actual playability of the UK version as far as I can tell).  I picked up both and have been playing a little on a pc while I cross my fingers for a mac executable.
then again we don't know yet if we will be able to play cataclysm with the port.  so i'd either hold your money till you know or find a friend that has it and steal his CD :P

I hope you were being sarcastic there about stealing a CD from your friend because it's people like you who make life a pain in the butt for software developers.

#60 Ssargon

Ssargon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:49 PM

I hope you were being sarcastic there about stealing a CD from your friend because it's people like you who make life a pain in the butt for software developers.

He didnt say he would copy the CD, just steal it from his friend.

I would say that just makes him a bad friend, not a software pirate...  8)