#21 tigital

tigital

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:03 PM

hey gang,

...in another example of my easily distractible programming style, I also downloaded the source and have started looking thru it...on the one hand, it should be easier than freespace2 was, because it's already got the opengl stuff in there...on the other hand, there seems to be a bit of assembly code that will be a reaaaaallly big challenge to get around:  I'm looking at /src/Game/etg.c and task.c, which appear to be some "task manager" that doesn't use functions, but actually seems to jump to certain places in memory!!  Maybe I just don't understand it yet...and, of course, we can probably count on alot of byteswapping to sniff out...

...also, the bink video codec is commercial, so we'll not have cutscenes (unless some are done in engine)...haven't looked at the sound and network stuff, which has us mired in freespace...

...so, I'm not going to make it a priority for awhile (working on tcl/tk mostly atm), but I'm definitely interested in seeing this thing work...

...don't know if anyone has seen this, but this guy already has some menu screenshots on linux:

http://www.thereisno...ects/homeworld/

...also, to the poster that is still in queue:  I was only able to d/l correctly when using IE (blech:  good indication of the x86-centric attitude of relic)...and even then, make sure it only starts once in the download manager...

l8r

#22 Arenzera

Arenzera

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:00 AM

hey gang,

...in another example of my easily distractible programming style, I also downloaded the source and have started looking thru it...on the one hand, it should be easier than freespace2 was, because it's already got the opengl stuff in there...on the other hand, there seems to be a bit of assembly code that will be a reaaaaallly big challenge to get around:  I'm looking at /src/Game/etg.c and task.c, which appear to be some "task manager" that doesn't use functions, but actually seems to jump to certain places in memory!!  Maybe I just don't understand it yet...and, of course, we can probably count on alot of byteswapping to sniff out...

...also, the bink video codec is commercial, so we'll not have cutscenes (unless some are done in engine)...haven't looked at the sound and network stuff, which has us mired in freespace...

...so, I'm not going to make it a priority for awhile (working on tcl/tk mostly atm), but I'm definitely interested in seeing this thing work...

...don't know if anyone has seen this, but this guy already has some menu screenshots on linux:

http://www.thereisno...ects/homeworld/

...also, to the poster that is still in queue:  I was only able to d/l correctly when using IE (blech:  good indication of the x86-centric attitude of relic)...and even then, make sure it only starts once in the download manager...

l8r

Wow... maybe that linux thing will run in X11 when panther comes out :) I wonder how hard it would be to port the Linux version? Nice work tigital!

Kiel :-)

#23 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:22 AM

Also, **maybe** some of the guys at Westlake might be able to help you...

Well, if you guys run into a snag or need some advice, I'd be happy to assist. I picked up a copy at Best Buy for $9.99 a few days ago in anticipation of someone doing the port for the mac. :)

Since it's already running on Linux and has OpenGL support, I'd say this should be a fairly easy port, although you'll likely have to watch out for byte-swapping. Also, since the Linux guy is using SDL and has made progress, I'd suggest working with him to build an SDL version on the Mac. That way you can share his progress and let him do some of the hard work. :)

Like I was telling someone on the iDevGames forum, you can convert the Bink movies to a codec that QuickTime supports by using a PC-based app that RAD Tools (makers of Bink) distribute on their website. I've done this for a few games now, and it works pretty good for those situation where you can't resample the original art assets for the movies.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#24 Chregu

Chregu

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 06:03 AM

Again I'm amazed how helpful and friendly the mac community is.
Since I can't write a single line of code, I support your efforts by promising to buy the final game. I greedily looked at this game far too many times in local PC stores.
"It was like that at first," said Ralph, "before things--"
  • 2.2 GHz i7 15" MBP / 4 GB RAM / Radeon 6750M (1.0 GB VRAM) / 750 GB HD
  • 800 MHz PPC G4 / 20" Cinema-Display / 1 GB RAM / Radeon 8500 (64 MB VRAM) / 40 GB HD

#25 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 06:51 AM

The Linux guy seems to have made alot of progress in such a short amount of time!

from his site...

Homeworld SDL 0.1 alpha released!
Saturday October 11, 2003 @ 2:55 AM

First alpha release of a Homeworld port to Linux.  No sound or Glide support yet, and software rendering doesn't work right, but you can still play it (with OpenGL at least).  It seems to work for me, and I hope it will work for you...now go tear it up.
I need to go to sleep now.  I'll be sending off notices to news sites whenever I wake up tomorrow...or later on today.  It all depends on how you look at it.

i wonder how he's handling BINK...
"Nothing here but us text"

#26 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 12:34 PM

I wish I knew how to program....I'll get back to you in 4-6 years once I know what I'm doing.  Hopefully the port wont take that long!  I'll know what I am doing for the Deus Ex Open Source Project to OSX....not that I can see into the future or anything...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#27 Michal Trepka

Michal Trepka

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:26 AM

OK, for anyone who cares, here's some info about Mac Homeworld progress :)
I took a lot of work, but I have almost all non-platform specific code changed to compile with gcc (OS X compiler) + OpenGL initialization done, and now I'm working on data loading, so I hope to have something on-screen soon.
As for the Linux version someone is working on - he definately did a lot of good work! I just contacted him and I hope we could cooperate somehow to make both ports better and faster. But i'd like to point out few things that make Mac port harder than Linux one, before you blame me that Linux guys can play already and you can't ;-) (here comes some technical stuff)
- as someone pointed out earlier, Homeworld uses lot of x86 assembly, so I have to understand and rewrite it to work on PowerPC
- current version of gcc for OS X doesn't have support for wchar, which is used in HW and have to be replaced with something else
- byte-swapping loaded data

All these thing are really time consuming and I have to deal with most of them before I can be at first playable state. Besides I was hoping to code Mac version with Cocoa, as I believe there is still room for more code samples showing how to use Cocoa to write games :). Anyway, I'm still wondering whether to switch to SDL or not. Maybe I'll do.

Two more things.
Brad, I was thinking about converting movies to QuickTime. That would be a relly good solution, although I'll need to contact Relic and see if they allow me to do so. I'll do it later, when I'll have something really working.

But the biggest problem will be networking code :( Homeworld uses some external libraries for multiplayer, which aren't open-source and cannot be ported. But there is a chance that multiplayer will be compatible with linux, so keep your fingers crossed :)

#28 Haberdasher

Haberdasher

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:00 PM

OK, for anyone who cares, here's some info about Mac Homeworld progress :)
I took a lot of work, but I have almost all non-platform specific code changed to compile with gcc (OS X compiler) + OpenGL initialization done, and now I'm working on data loading, so I hope to have something on-screen soon.
As for the Linux version someone is working on - he definately did a lot of good work! I just contacted him and I hope we could cooperate somehow to make both ports better and faster. But i'd like to point out few things that make Mac port harder than Linux one, before you blame me that Linux guys can play already and you can't ;-) (here comes some technical stuff)
- as someone pointed out earlier, Homeworld uses lot of x86 assembly, so I have to understand and rewrite it to work on PowerPC
- current version of gcc for OS X doesn't have support for wchar, which is used in HW and have to be replaced with something else
- byte-swapping loaded data

All these thing are really time consuming and I have to deal with most of them before I can be at first playable state. Besides I was hoping to code Mac version with Cocoa, as I believe there is still room for more code samples showing how to use Cocoa to write games :). Anyway, I'm still wondering whether to switch to SDL or not. Maybe I'll do.

Two more things.
Brad, I was thinking about converting movies to QuickTime. That would be a relly good solution, although I'll need to contact Relic and see if they allow me to do so. I'll do it later, when I'll have something really working.

But the biggest problem will be networking code :( Homeworld uses some external libraries for multiplayer, which aren't open-source and cannot be ported. But there is a chance that multiplayer will be compatible with linux, so keep your fingers crossed :)

Awesome! Keep up the great work, and ignore your other projects! :)

#29 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:03 PM

that's great news.  I hope you and the Linux can help each out(and mb others). :)  do you have website?

#30 Mars_999

Mars_999

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 10:49 PM

Use SDL. It has byte swapping macros setup for you already. It supports OpenGL, and it has a networking library sdl_net. I don't have a Mac right now but I have used SDL on OSX and it rocks. Why are they using wchar? Localizations? If not why can't you just use char instead?

#31 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:48 AM

I suppose it is still too soon to ask this but:  Will the X Port support networking; moreover, will it support networking with PCs?  I am feeling the urge to kick my PC friends...um...behinds...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#32 mbravos

mbravos

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 05:50 AM

I figured what the hell, picked up Homeworld for $9 out of a bargain bin.  If Freespace 2 sat on my shelf unplayed for 3 years and out of the blue I can play in on my mac, I can certainly exercise some patience for Homeworld.  Good luck.

#33 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:42 PM

I'm hoping the GOTY edition of Homeworld will work with the beta because that's what i''m about to order.  if not.  i'll just go steal my friends CD :)

#34 hitman

hitman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:17 PM

Wow. This is really great news. I picked up Homeworld: GOTY edition last year but never really played it much. To see it running on a Linux box is fantastic. I hope that this great game makes it to the Mac.

Anyone need alpha testers? ;)

#35 Jazzphone

Jazzphone

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 08:58 AM

Anything new on this port coming along?

#36 Haberdasher

Haberdasher

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 06:24 PM

Patience, grasshopper. The coder will reveal himself in suitable time and fashion.

*poof*

#37 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 03:56 PM

wee, i got my copy of Homeworld GOTY in the mail today :)

#38 JohnRasko

JohnRasko

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:30 PM

I've always been wondering when they would port Homeworld for the Mac. I guess it's just one of those thing that might never happen, just wishing that it would.

#39 G4Jedi

G4Jedi

American Idiot

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, give the guy a break (and a pat on the back). It's probably going to take some time, but so be it. Remember, he's voluntarily taken it upon himself to port this (if possible), it's not going to happen overnight or even within a few months, especially if he's not getting paid to do it. (Or maybe he is, like a bet or something =D )

#40 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:51 PM

the Linux guy over at there is no spork released alpha 0.2 of the Linux version of Homeworld.  He's puttering alon quite well :)

Any word on how the effort on the mac port is going?