#61 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Priests are good with about anything (nice with paladins for the dps increase, oomkin for the crit are good ones).
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#62 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 28th 2007, 01:37 PM, said:

Here's a thought- Shadow Priest + Warlock, Minion to tank? :devil:

Been there, done that... it rocks. The Voidwalker and later also Felguard (for demonoloy spec) are good tanks... at least compared with most hunter pets. So they usually cause no problems in that department.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#63 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:06 PM

Watch out though, shadow priests are getting nerfed in 2.0.10.

#64 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

View PostNAG, on February 28th 2007, 01:06 PM, said:

Watch out though, shadow priests are getting nerfed in 2.0.10.

Say your teasing and it's not so!

View PostWhaleman, on February 28th 2007, 01:03 PM, said:

Been there, done that... it rocks. The Voidwalker and later also Felguard (for demonoloy spec) are good tanks... at least compared with most hunter pets. So they usually cause no problems in that department.

:sabber:

Q: Do Pallys and Locks still get free mounts? Do Druids really need mounts (trying to remember if they have a travel form)?

#65 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 28th 2007, 08:26 PM, said:

Say your teasing and it's not so!
:sabber:

All I've seen so far is lack of threat reduction for shadowspells from the discipline talent and a decrease in healing made from vampiric embrace.

Q: Do Pallys and Locks still get free mounts? Do Druids really need mounts (trying to remember if they have a travel form)?

Pallies and locks gets free mounts at 40, and quests (not completely free...) at 60. Druids needs mounts since the travelform is only 40% compared to the mount's 60% and epic mount's 100%. With 4 pieces PvP gear the travel form will more or less match the 60% mounts due to a setbonus reward. At 68 the druids get the flight form too, which match the flying mounts the others have to buy at 70.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#66 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:10 PM

Druids are also getting an epic flight form soonish but they'll have to pay the 5kg for the epic mount training this time around.

And yeah, the priest nerf isn't the end of the world but it is still going in.

#67 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

A WoW giggle. :D

#68 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:49 PM

Today was a milestone of sorts. After playing with my wife for a week (hers is a trial account), probably 3 sessions of 1-2 hrs each,  I purchased the retail version of WoW for $19.99 with a $5 off Best Buy coupon and asked my wife in my friendliest of voices, "Should I take it back to the store? No hard feelings if I do because honey, I don't want to force you to play if you're not having fun."

She said, "Go ahead and install it, just don't expect me to play night and day", in her friendly but limit-setting voice.

I responded "Why thank you dear." I'm going with two months of 1 month account subscriptions before deciding to step up to a 6 month subscription.

BTW if you decide to explore WoW using the trial account (10 days), you'll still have to purchase the retail version for a regular account activation code and you'll get 30 days of free play after that.

#69 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

Can anyone tell me how to make the frame rate show in WoW? Is that something in the settings? (If so have not found it.)
Thanks!

#70 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 6th 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

Today was a milestone of sorts. After playing with my wife for a week (hers is a trial account), probably 3 sessions of 1-2 hrs each,  I purchased the retail version of WoW for $19.99 with a $5 off Best Buy coupon and asked my wife in my friendliest of voices, "Should I take it back to the store? No hard feelings if I do because honey, I don't want to force you to play if you're not having fun."

Don't you need 2 accounts for the both of you to play at the same time?

#71 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on March 14th 2007, 10:57 AM, said:

Don't you need 2 accounts for the both of you to play at the same time?

Yes, it's expensive, currently doing two monthly subscriptions at $30 per month.  My plan is if her interest lasts, I'll convert to 6 month subscriptions at $26 per month ($13 each). I say expensive, but  it's much less expensive than a single night out on the town.

#72 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 14th 2007, 01:16 PM, said:

Can anyone tell me how to make the frame rate show in WoW? Is that something in the settings? (If so have not found it.)
Thanks!

Press Control R to show the framerate.  There are also mods that can display this for you as well, like PerformanceFu, which is a module for the FuBar mod.

#73 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

View PostDrizzt, on March 14th 2007, 05:10 PM, said:

Press Control R to show the framerate.  There are also mods that can display this for you as well, like PerformanceFu, which is a module for the FuBar mod.

Thank you kind Sir.

Last time we played (by Dolanaar) went looking for the bad dude in Felrock Cave. We went though that entire cave and missed him. I thought he hung out on a ledge. (Twisted Hatred quest) Will go back and try again.

#74 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 15th 2007, 06:03 PM, said:

Thank you kind Sir.

Last time we played (by Dolanaar) went looking for the bad dude in Felrock Cave. We went though that entire cave and missed him. I thought he hung out on a ledge. (Twisted Hatred quest) Will go back and try again.

It's been a long time since I've done that quest, but I seem to remember his spawn location being changed from one static location (the ledge), to a couple of a different places in the same cave.  Did you even see his corpse anywhere from someone else having killed him first?

#75 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

View PostDrizzt, on March 15th 2007, 04:57 PM, said:

It's been a long time since I've done that quest, but I seem to remember his spawn location being changed from one static location (the ledge), to a couple of a different places in the same cave.  Did you even see his corpse anywhere from someone else having killed him first?

Since posting this, I have read a bit and it seems like his spawn location varies among 3 spots in the large room with the lake. The first time in there with my wife (the newb), this grell goes skipping away in the adorable way they do and comes back with 4 friends! I was surprised. Anyway we got kil'ded. Came back and never found him but were very cautious about what triggered all those grells to come after us. I really have no idea as we had not even attacked him.

#76 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

View Posttotallywhacked, on February 22nd 2007, 04:20 AM, said:

Anyway, color me curious.

Sorry, took me a while. Actually, she's almost more nerdy than me nowadays. She's more willing now to look into other MMORPGs. She got really hooked on that stuff. Currently we have installed Ryzom, and although this is a much tougher game, she seems to like it. Actually she says that it is more interesting, because there is so much more stuff you have to think of than in WoW.

We're still not through BC, and I don't want to give up WoW and our guild yet, but eventually, and if Ryzom survives, we might switch over to it in 6 months or so.

Just speculation right now.

v/r, E.

#77 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

View Postelectricdawn, on March 19th 2007, 01:18 PM, said:

Currently we have installed Ryzom, and although this is a much tougher game, she seems to like it. Actually she says that it is more interesting, because there is so much more stuff you have to think of than in WoW.

I'm no expert on SoR but it was very exotic (more so than in any setting in any MMO I've seen) and you really felt like you were in an alien land. (Note: I've not played Burning Crusade which looks pretty exotic, but the game-play mechanisms are well established from WoW.)  And the animals, the way they reacted to players and acted in groups (herd movement) is the best I've ever seen.

However I've been told once out of the starter area SoR is mostly pvp without any real quest structure to speak of. Any ideas? Unfortunately, for whatever reason the game did not seem all that friendly for  grouping. My efforts were for naught. Maybe when both my wife and I get Windows capable, I might suggest giving it another chance.
Thanks.

More on SoR.

#78 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

Even though I'm currently playing WoW with my wife, I'm thinking about calling it quits. Honestly been there, done that again and again although I do like palling around with her doing low level quests. What I would like is to get her skills and confidence up and interested in the concept of joint dedicated play and then look for something new, maybe even something like Saga of Ryzom that is truly exotic. The only problem is that we've only got PPC Macs and one PC so until we upgrade our MMO choices are very limited and right now WoW seems to be the best option.

#79 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

Our Druids are about to hit L10. Is that slow enough for ya? ;)

Anyhow I'm reaching a point where we will make a decision about moving over to Ellwyn Forest to line up for the Dead Mines instance or start new characters on the outskirts of Stormwind. Oh, I don't know maybe a Lock and a Priest. Still thinking on it. :D  The game is still enjoyable for brief stints.

#80 biedawo

biedawo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

This has been an interesting thread to read.  I just started WoW about a week ago, and after stumbling across this thread, floated the idea to my wife of her trying it too.  She was willing to give it a try, and so far it has been working pretty well.  Both humans; she is Paladin.  This seems to be an ideal choice, as fairly durable and able to heal and have some other buffs.  I've tried both warlock and rogue.  Not quite happy with either.  Would like a human druid or shaman best.... (alas).  Maybe will give priest a shot.

Keys:
  - having a durable character seems to be pretty important (we have both died, but I don't think she'd like the stress of being a fragile class)
  - humans -- (she'd probably like elves even more, but they'd have to look like Cate Blanchett)
  - minimal grinding, more questing

Biggest obstacle is coordinating camera with movement.  She especially disliked auto-camera movement, but still has trouble keeping camera behind her, and ends up getting into corners as she hears a kobold starting to wack away at one of us.  (I really had a lot of trouble when I first went into caves as well).  She *really* likes the "/follow" crutch, but I think it also slows down development in mouse coordination.  (I do find that I am almost constantly panning the camera around; don't think she likes the tension of holding the mouse button down all the time)

I thought player interaction would have more appeal.  Has had glimmers of success (animated emotes always a hit, the first blown kiss, etc.), but most player time seems to have little interaction with other players.  People running around and whacking monsters, and then town squares just become a duel fest.  Haven't tried inviting additional people into group -- don't know that most would have patience to wait for our more, uhh, deliberate pace.

Just starting to get professions... and I think she'll like the auction house once we get to Stormwind -- she is a monster ebayer (doesn't really buy that much stuff, but really enjoys the auctioning process, and optimizing the deals that she does do)

Matt