Mac Games I'd Like To Visit

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Marcade

Marcade

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

Oh, dear. I was going to make a comment about Mac games I’d really like to revisit. I hope that’s appropriate. When I bought my gray scale MacBook many years ago — the Art Deco one — there were a few must have games. The original Glider was one of them. it had so many  folks excited creatively, as well being a perfect concept. After I a Mac clone, the shies opened. CDs replaced floppies and Marathon then Deus Ex came on board. I can’t count the number of times I’ve played versions of the original Deus Ex. So much on one DVD. Every time I played it, i learned a new trick. I don’t trust Apple’s support of games, but I do need an new MacBook Pro.

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:41 PM

It's something most of us here have wrestled with.

For two of the games you mentioned, you are probably in luck, at least for now. Glider was open sourced, and recently ported back to Mac: https://galeforcegam...tch.io/aerofoil
The original Deus Ex should run on Apple Silicon via Crossover, or in a virtual machine like Parallels or Fusion. But those options might go away if/when Apple yanks support for Rosetta 2.

It's all fuel for our love/hate relationship with Mac gaming. :-)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:24 AM

View PostMarcade, on 25 August 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

Marathon

My brother!  I was totally hooked on Marathon for well over a decade.  Aleph One plays well on Apple silicon in the off chance you didn't know and wanted to do a little frog blasting.  Ask any frog, a vent core won't blast itself.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:48 AM

Speaking of Bungie, I played the hell out of Myth/Myth 2 back when the world was young and anything seemed possible. Who remembers those games these days though? And would they still hold up?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4569 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:10 PM

View Postnick68k, on 27 August 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

Speaking of Bungie, I played the hell out of Myth/Myth 2 back when the world was young and anything seemed possible. Who remembers those games these days though? And would they still hold up?
Myth II King of the Hill is some of the best multiplayer action I've ever played. I am quite sure it still rocks.
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#6 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:28 PM

View Postnick68k, on 27 August 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

People must still like it because Myth II is still being maintained. Got a 64-bit update a few years ago, and the latest version this month supports the M1!

#7 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 01:35 PM

Oh how I loved Myth and Myth 2. Myth 2 was one of the few games that I ventured into online play with strangers. And the music in the second one was so good.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4495 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:49 PM

View PostCougar, on 27 August 2021 - 12:28 PM, said:

People must still like it because Myth II is still being maintained. Got a 64-bit update a few years ago, and the latest version this month supports the M1!

I should locate my Wild West TC for Myth II and post it again somewhere if thats the case .....

Oddly when I was playing Desperados III, I kept thinking "ya know, I had long coats, and pistoleers, and dynamite in that thing I made for myth ii ...." lol!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4569 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

Summoner (I am not sure if I got to the end - Did get far though), Deus Ex (Only played the demo), Homeworld (It was AWESOME!).
"They're everywhere!" -BOB

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 27 August 2021 - 05:28 PM

I played the Deus Ex demo from a MacAddict disc so much. I read the MacAddict review over and over, and it tantalizingly told me “this is more than just game.” I wanted it so bad.

When I finally managed to finish the demo I felt so accomplished. Then I bought a copy at the Apple Store for $20. Game blew my mind, in its 25 FPS glory on my 350mhz indigo iMac.

#11 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:20 AM

View PostFrigidman™, on 27 August 2021 - 02:49 PM, said:

I should locate my Wild West TC for Myth II and post it again somewhere if thats the case .....

My group was not really into mods, but we played with that one a few times. The fact that I remember it says a lot. Good job!

www.mindthecube.com

#12 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 27 August 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

Summoner (I am not sure if I got to the end - Did get far though)

Summoner was fun. I either reviewed it or helped beta test it, but I can't find my notes so I guess I'll never know. [Edit: turns out I was a tester.]

If you have a Windows copy it should on Mac under WINE/Crossover. Porting Kit mentions it specifically: https://www.paulthetall.com/21907-2/

www.mindthecube.com

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:56 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 27 August 2021 - 01:35 PM, said:

Oh how I loved Myth and Myth 2. Myth 2 was one of the few games that I ventured into online play with strangers. And the music in the second one was so good.

When Bungie published the Total Codex containing all the Myths and a CD with the Total Soundtrack, everybody who contributed to the Total Codex got copies.  The Wild West TC was included and the entire TC team got copies in "payment".  I used to use my copy of the epic soundtrack as background music while doing cat things.  I'm going to dig the CD out and start doing that again.  Thanks for the memory jog!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2298 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:56 PM

Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4. I would like to play those games again but natively on a x86 imac without having to get wine fork like crossover to work properly. And the original unreal, that was a good game unlike gears of war.
What is a man?