(Re)started a Mac gaming podcast - Great co-hosts found, episodes ongoing!

Podcast Mac Gaming Tech

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 23 July 2021 - 05:53 PM, said:

Is that really still indie now that Double Fine is owned by Microsoft? :P
The full sentence referred to "AAA titles or cool indies". I hedged on where Psychonauts 2 goes. :-)

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#22 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:11 AM

Episode 3 being recorded tonight! Will have two new co-hosts on to chat for this one :)
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

New Mac gaming podcast! Find it here: Website | Apple Podcasts | Spotify

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17751 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

I hear tell that the thug Lil' E will co-host.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 nick68k

nick68k

Enigmatic

• IMG Writers
  • 593 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:43 AM

View PostWumpus, on 22 July 2021 - 12:43 PM, said:

Feedback & comments welcome of course! If you want us to comment on something, or answer a question, or a particular main topic you want to see, just drop it here or message me! Or SneakySnake :)

If you're looking for topics/guests, I'd be interested to hear from Jeff Vogel, head honcho of Spiderweb Software, and faithful creator of awkward, deep & gnarly Mac RPGs for over a quarter of a century now. He's a wise old head but possibly a somewhat grumpy one.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#25 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 23 July 2021 - 04:57 PM, said:

I believe Glenda Adams is retired now. You might be able to get her on, if you promise to talk objectively about the changes at Aspyr (which she might not have been around for anyway.) We can complain among ourselves about how Aspyr declined, but to people on the inside it probably just looked like friends and colleagues trying to keep their company afloat.

Freeverse another possible topic..

But we should try to avoid having every episode being a wake for the giants of Mac gaming who are no longer with us. We can still celebrate any interesting news such as AAA titles or cool indies that we get. (Psychonauts 2!) I don't know if that means previews/reviews, or just trying to talk to developers or publishers that have impressed us recently.

Maybe someone from Unity could tell us how the Mac market and Apple Silicon looks from their point of view?

I REALLY should stop giving advice until I have listened to some episodes.

FWIW I was never mad about it, and I'm kind of relieved now to hear that I wasn't actually the last one recorded. Bless you for the work you did, and are doing.

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I also agree we don't want to hover around past greatness, but sometimes the history is interesting, relevant or worth mentioning. Episode 3/4/5 will make practically no mention of this I would say. Unity (and engines in general) is something I'm very interested in. We'll see what we can do. :)

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 29 July 2021 - 09:59 AM, said:

I hear tell that the thug Lil' E will co-host.

Indeed! She makes her debut, it's glorious!

View Postnick68k, on 29 July 2021 - 11:43 AM, said:

If you're looking for topics/guests, I'd be interested to hear from Jeff Vogel, head honcho of Spiderweb Software, and faithful creator of awkward, deep & gnarly Mac RPGs for over a quarter of a century now. He's a wise old head but possibly a somewhat grumpy one.

I've interviewed Jeff Vogel multiple times in the past long ago, perhaps he'd agree for something now! I'll keep that in mind.
Computer: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9. 64GB RAM. AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

#26 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Episode 3 is also now out everywhere! We talk about new releases and the various ways we connect through single player and multiplayer gaming. :)

#27 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:10 PM

I just finished listening to Ep 1. Good start!

A few times I'd mutter something like "That was MacWorld, not WWDC" but usually one of you would make the same correction within 30 seconds, so eventually I was able to relax. :-)

Sam's sentences tended to lose volume and I'd often miss the last few words. Which was a shame because his comments were interesting. I don't know if he needs a confidence boost or some caffeine or just to be mixed in louder?

Some surprisingly hopeful points about the M1 machines. I hadn't thought much about the value of raising up the low end, that was fun to mull.

I was amused by how Wumpus tosses in text-isms like "lol" and "omg" into his conversation without thinking.

I enjoyed it, looking forward to more.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#28 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 10:47 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 August 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

I just finished listening to Ep 1. Good start!

A few times I'd mutter something like "That was MacWorld, not WWDC" but usually one of you would make the same correction within 30 seconds, so eventually I was able to relax. :-)

Sam's sentences tended to lose volume and I'd often miss the last few words. Which was a shame because his comments were interesting. I don't know if he needs a confidence boost or some caffeine or just to be mixed in louder?

Some surprisingly hopeful points about the M1 machines. I hadn't thought much about the value of raising up the low end, that was fun to mull.

I was amused by how Wumpus tosses in text-isms like "lol" and "omg" into his conversation without thinking.

I enjoyed it, looking forward to more.

Re: audio volume, it is something that is actively being worked on. Also, depending on when you downloaded it, episode 1 may or may not have had balanced audio. It's something I went back and re-did/re-uploaded. We had some issues with that and Casper during Episode 4. Episode 5 should be more balanced!

Re: M1's, we'll be doing more talk about those soon. Episode 5 is having a guest on to talk all about that actually! Though it won't just be a repeat of episode 1 ideas.

Re: ism's, I rarely notice I do that. Maybe I've lived in the digital realm for too long :P.

Glad you enjoyed the show, and thanks for listening and commenting!

#29 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:48 PM

Listened to episode 2. No problems hearing everyone this time.

Minor thing: that topic about what kind of gamer you are - I would have liked that tied back to Mac gaming more explicitly, since that's what the podcast is about. But maybe it was intended as "get to know your hosts".

Hope you don't mind these notes. Looking forward to the next episode..

www.mindthecube.com

#30 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3505 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:37 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 04 August 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

My audio should be much better for episode 2 and beyond. After episode 1 I realized Discord had a bunch of those audio filters/auto-tune stuff on, which definitely does not play well with my mic/voice. Turned all of that popsnizzle off and it sounds much better now.
16" MBP: i9 9880H @ 2.3 GHz || Radeon 5500M 8GB || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB SSD
Desktop: 5600X || RTX 3070 || 32 GB DDR4 || 1TB 970 EvoPlus + 1TB Seagate FireCuda
Other: 30TB Plex Server || Series X || PS5 || iPhone 12

#31 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:46 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 16 August 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

Turned all of that popsnizzle off and it sounds much better now.
That it does.

www.mindthecube.com

#32 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

I think audio has been great - we also have Casper tuned up nicely! We've had a slew of interviews, latest one Eps #6 releasing tonight. We'll be back to topical discussion and perhaps some reviews for future episodes.

#33 Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Doesn't Tip

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:29 PM

Thoroughly enjoying the Podcast and the reviews on here and your website.

#34 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:45 AM

Episode 3 was interesting, had some real highs, and fewer lows.

1. The discussion really took a life of its own a few times, and it felt like the podcast was finding its groove. Other times it was more monologue-y.. i think the fundamental issue is that the topics (for the first three episodes at least) are too broad. Granted it gives everyone a chance to weigh in, but i think sometimes everyone has unrelated points to make and there isn't much response or cross-talk.

So I suggest narrower topics.

2. I know you have topic ideas already, but: as soon as you are done recording an episode (or while editing) note which moments each week generated the most animated discussion, and considering mining those for future topics. Here are just some possible topics I saw fly by in Ep 3:
- edutainment
- computer games that wrecked you emotionally
- computer games as art
- subversive computer games
- player agency vs hard-wired story (touched on with Deus Ex, and again later with romance options)

Yes, these are also too broad. Do as i say, not as I do. :-)

3. I especially like it when topics are related back to Macs. But I'm slowly realizing it's a podcast about computer games from the point of view of some long-time Mac gamers; its not intended to be 100% about Mac games. That's okay. Maybe that could be part of the official podcast description? Oh wait, you don't have one! See next point.

4. I still think it would benefit from an intro segment each week - a sentence introducing the podcast,. (That sentence could also be added to the feed description.) Then let hosts quickly introduce themselves. (Though I just tried to write a quick intro for myself as an example, and I admit it was quite hard.)

Thanks for letting me weigh in. Keep up the good work.

www.mindthecube.com

#35 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

Really liked the interview in Ep 4. As usual when I wanted to know something it usually turned up in a followup question, and he seems like a really nice guy.

(The one unanswered question I wanted to know was if everyone was working for free (which I think is common in the film industry, with so many people desperate for resume fillers) or if he paid any of them. This is something I wrestled with when I wrote my own computer games.)

As usual, I would have liked more orientation up front - 15 minutes in you finally mentioned that his game was for PC and Mac. The promo info you said at the end (game platform, where to buy) could also have been said at the beginning. Repetition is your friend!

Also, repetition is your friend.

But I enjoyed this one a lot.

www.mindthecube.com

#36 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:09 PM

Hey Matt! Thanks for all the feedback you've been leaving us. Somehow I wasn't getting notified of posts on this even though I have that toggled on. I've been extra busy IRL! But the show is continuing apace with episode 9 coming out late tonight or tomorrow. I'd enjoy to keep hearing your comments as you listen. Episodes 5 & 6 are also interviews. They were a lot of fun.

Re: Topics, your comments have been saved and posted into our discord! I've had some of those on our future topic list already, but you have added more. Hooray!

Confused by your comments regarding an introduction and podcast description. These have been in the show since Episode 1 and the show has a description anywhere its listed (main website, Apple Podcasts, Spotify etc.) Every episode has a unique description for it as well. And every introduction is also largely the same, with me talking about the episode #, what the show is, what we are going to talk about and who is joining me. I'm sure it could use some polish, but your words make it sound like its non-existent. Curious where you are viewing/downloading the show from? Maybe something is wrong with it.

We are messing around with reviewing games now, so Episode 9 is going to have a much clearer format. Eps 8 was the first attempt and you won't get some of those details you were looking for until the end. This time I will be sure to talk about platforms and similar notes upfront! Metro Exodus is on the topic block.

You are also correct that the show is largely "a podcast about computer games from the point of view of some long-time Mac gamers." The original show was 100% about Mac gaming, but that was back when that was easy. I had thought we could do it again now, but quickly realized that wasn't the case. I think we even bring this up at some point on the show, but not sure because we talk a lot "off the air" after the shows as well. To do that these days would require us to be heavy into Apple Arcade or stuff I consider fluff on the Steam store. I avoid all such games so they don't make it into the show or my gaming orbit. The other team members don't go there either.

#37 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:47 PM

>Confused by your comments regarding an introduction and podcast description.

Ah, sorry. To clarify: The intro on the early eps has been very low key. Hi, I'm X, I'm joined by Y and Z, and we're going to talk about Q. But there was nothing about who X, Y and Z are: are these just randos or do they have some kind of expertise or history to bring to bear? And instead of a listener like me figuring out over several episodes why MacGameCast sometimes doesn't mention Macs for long stretches, read out some kind of mission statement up front.

That's all I meant. The podcast is evolving so maybe you are right not to focus on those things. Or maybe you disagree with that style of podcasting. All good. It's just my opinion; I'm not an expert on this stuff, haven't read any books about marketing or effective podcasting or anything.

Looking forward to the newer episodes.

www.mindthecube.com

#38 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:19 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 09 September 2021 - 02:47 PM, said:

>Confused by your comments regarding an introduction and podcast description.

Ah, sorry. To clarify: The intro on the early eps has been very low key. Hi, I'm X, I'm joined by Y and Z, and we're going to talk about Q. But there was nothing about who X, Y and Z are: are these just randos or do they have some kind of expertise or history to bring to bear? And instead of a listener like me figuring out over several episodes why MacGameCast sometimes doesn't mention Macs for long stretches, read out some kind of mission statement up front.

Do you want a full introduction every episode? I eventually expect people to know who is who by name,  but maybe I'm wrong to assume people will listen to the first few episodes first.

#39 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3259 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:39 AM

> maybe I'm wrong to assume people will listen to the first few episodes first.

Yeah, I think this is the reason most of them do it. Let's say you interview someone who has some followers, and they point their fans to the podcast. IMHO you want those people to know what's up. Did they read the show notes? Probably. But even if they did, if they are like me they add the episode to their queue and it pops up in their rotation a week or a month later. And some listeners may bounce early so I think a little thought to the opening is justified.

It's also a hook that can set the tone.

Most podcasts I listen to have a one-sentence intro. It's not always the very first thing, some podcasts have a cold open of some kind.

Whether or not you take this advice, I promise I won't keep bringing it up now that I've explained myself better.

Update: Episode 5 has a perfectly good intro, both for the show and for the guest. Shutting up now. :-)

www.mindthecube.com

#40 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1503 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

We did a fun Metro Exodus review on episode 9 with a structured format vs the meanderings of the Disco Elysium one. #10 was a cool discussion with military gamers (Ted & Lily) and what they think about war and military in games in its various forms.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast, Mac, Gaming, Tech