• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James27

James27

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

I am new to gaming and I am looking for some help and advice.

As I am paralysed from the shoulders down and can move my head, I operate my MacBook with a head mouse.

To operate the cursor handsfree, I have a piece of equipment that allows me to move the cursor on the screen with a tool bar for me to select, double click, drag and right click.

This procedure is slower than someone operating the mouse track pad on the MacBook.

The type of games I am interested in are role playing games, adventure and strategy.

A point and click game is ideal for me, however the speed of the game needs to be slow, so I have time to move and click the mouse.

Your help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

James.

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• Forum Moderators
  • 3260 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

Point-and-click adventure games used to be a big deal 10-20 years ago, so some of the best games in that genre are older. The trick is finding ones that still run. Graphics can sometimes look a bit dated.

Myst : Unlike the games below there is almost no inventory to manage. It's about exploring, playing with mysterious machines and making inferences. It has been re-released many times, but the one you probably want is Myst: Masterpiece Edition.

The following are considered classic point-and-click adventures, and have versions that run on current Macs. They should also run on low-end Macs.

Grim Fandango (Remastered)
Day of the Tentacle (Remastered)
Full Throttle (Remastered) - has a couple arcade-like challenges which I believe can be skipped or turned off

The following don't run on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina.
Loom - graphics are a little old now but its still a beautiful classic. Little or no inventory.
The Secret of Monkey Island

One more:
"Pajama Sam in: No Need to Hide When Its Dark Outside":  Supposedly for kids but it is funny and charming, and I think one of the best designed adventure games out there. (It was written by people who made some of the games above.) You can play it at least three times and get harder puzzles each time. Lots of funny animations when you click around. Also: cheap!

p.s.  None of the games above require keeping a map. But a few of them might be hard if you can't take notes, like as if you find a code to unlock a safe. Or Loom has 10-15 four-note tunes that you collect. Monkey Island: you have to collect funny responses to insults.

Edited by Matt Diamond, 10 November 2020 - 02:54 PM.

www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17752 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

spiderweb software games are point and click, turn-based RPGs that are primitive yet really quite awesome old school RPGs.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1949 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:32 PM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 10 November 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

Myst : Unlike the games below there is almost no inventory to manage. It's about exploring, playing with mysterious machines and making inferences. It has been re-released many times, but the one you probably want is Myst: Masterpiece Edition.

Myst is great but the benefit of playing it is that you can then play its sequel, Riven, which is a literal masterpiece. Also point-and-click.

Cyan's latest game, Obduction, (in a different universe) is fully 3D but offers a point-and-click mode. Myst is getting a VR (optional) remake very soon and I expect it'll also have a point-and-click option so it might be nice to wait for that.

For RPGs, Baldur's Gate I and II, I think, can both be driven via a mouse (they did make iPad versions.) Divinity: Original Sin might be a bit easier because it's turn based. XCOM 2 as well, for strategy.

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8714 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:45 PM

Strategy: any Civilization game. Endless Space (2). The later Total War games (from Shogun 2 onward, IIRC) have the option to slow down the real-time battles to half speed. Battletech. XCOM 2 (1 unfortunately no longer works on modern version of macOS). Into the Breach. Order of Battle. The Paradox grand strategy titles (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron) are all real-time, but with adjustable speed and pausable.

RPGs: Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong. Torment: Tides of Numenera. Wasteland 1–3. The Bard's Tale Trilogy and The Bard's Tale IV. Divinity: Original Sin 1+2. The upcoming Baldur's Gate 3.

Adventures: anything from LucasArts (Matt mentioned already most of them).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#6 Tacohead

Tacohead

Extra Cheesy

• Members+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

Many great suggestions already.  You can also check out the "Adventure Gamers” website for more ideas on adventure games for the Mac. The website is:

https://adventuregamers.com

And don't forget the "Accessibility” settings in the System Preferences on your Mac. Macs now have a pretty nice on-screen keyboard included with the OS. There's even a "panel editor” where you can make your own custom on-screen keyboard panels for all sorts of applications including games.  You can also activate dwell clicking from within this on-screen keyboard to perform all kinds of mouse related actions without having to click a mouse. However based on your description it sounds like you are already using some sort of dwell clicking solution.

Also in that "Accessibility” settings make sure you take a look at "Pointer Control”-"Alternate Control Methods”-"Enable alternate pointer actions”. With this feature turned on the Facetime camera on your Mac will convert various facial expressions to mouse click and movement actions. So, for example, if you can't perform a right-click with the head mouse you are using you can make It so a smile will perform a right-click wherever you are currently pointing your mouse pointer. I find this to be much easier and quicker than using dwell clicking to do the same thing.

You will find that there are plenty of games you will be able to play. Honestly probably more than you can hope to play in a lifetime. :-)

If you have any other questions I will be happy to help if I can.
27" iMac I7 (late 2017), 3.8 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, Mac OS 11.4.
iPad Pro (2018) 12.9” 256GB WiFi, & iPhone XR 128GB