22 replies to this topic

#1 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

IceWind Dale is not working properly in Tiger, and yeah I did a clean install of Tiger and reinstalled IceWind Dale twice already.

After a short while when playing the game, the characters stop responding to my commands like where to move and who to attack. Upon quitting the game, Tiger tells me IceWind Dale crashed. This happened quite a few times already.

The game worked for me without problems when I used Panther.

Honestly I don't think MacPlay is going to fix this, they're pretty much gone the way of the Original MacPlay; they're dead in terms of Mac gaming and their support of their games.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
, MacOSX 10.5.6 Leopard/b]
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac
, [b]Mac OSX 10.5.6 Leopard

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:00 PM

macgallant, on July 5th 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

they're pretty much gone the way of the Original MacPlay

:o since when have they ever been any other way? Was it when they disappeared an employee whose promises were broken? Or was it when they hired some stooge who promised they'd get better? I'm lost.

#3 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

When the newly revived MacPlay bursted into the Mac Gaming scene at the time they hold a lot of promise and seemed committed to patching their games. But sadly now they're pretty much has-beens and are dead to the Mac Gaming community.

I just deleted IceWind Dale from my drive since I'm certain MacPlay won't patch it for functionality with Mac OSX Tiger.
MDD PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz: 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro, 2GB Ram, 80GB OEM HD & 160GB Seagate HD
, ViewSonic VA2012wb 20" Widescreen LCD, Belkin USB 2 PCI card, Logitech Z-2200 THX 2.1 Speakers, Apple Keyboard & 5 button Superman Mouse, XBox Live webcam, Superdrive & combo drive
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo  2.2 GHz: 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HD, Superdrive, Maxtor Onetouch 4 external 500GB HD, Microsoft LaserDesktop for Mac

#4 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

A large part of what got WinXP into households was the extreme game compatibility efforts Microsoft made. I remember installing huge "compatibility pack" updates specifically to make sure that many games worked correctly. They seemed sort of ridiculous, but in the end it meant that I could run XP instead of 98 (and instead of the less-compatible Win2000).

When a game stops working correctly, then if the original coder followed Apple's guidlines, the bug is Apple's. I for one am sick of them breaking our games. Backwards compatibility is part of what makes a commercial OS. You buy apps and games knowing that they should work for you longer than a year or two. Updates from responsive game developers are always nice, but Apple has a responsibility to test their changes. Sheesh.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#5 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

Rubel, on July 5th 2005, 07:49 PM, said:

A large part of what got WinXP into households was the extreme game compatibility efforts Microsoft made. I remember installing huge "compatibility pack" updates specifically to make sure that many games worked correctly. They seemed sort of ridiculous, but in the end it meant that I could run XP instead of 98 (and instead of the less-compatible Win2000).

When a game stops working correctly, then if the original coder followed Apple's guidlines, the bug is Apple's. I for one am sick of them breaking our games. Backwards compatibility is part of what makes a commercial OS. You buy apps and games knowing that they should work for you longer than a year or two. Updates from responsive game developers are always nice, but Apple has a responsibility to test their changes. Sheesh.

View Post

I agree with you Rubel, I wish Apple would consider Backwards compatiblity of 3rd party developers' wares like games for instance. But unfortunately that's not on Apple's agenda; With every release of Mac OS including X stuff seem to break.

#6 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Icewind Dale does not work with Tiger on my machine. The app quits everytime. Actually the game never worked very well with Panther either. I had frequent freezes under Panther and had to force quit a lot. Remarkably, Icewind Dale works well on my Mac when I boot into OS 9.2 or if I run it under Classic under Tiger. No freezes or quits yet.

PowerMac 867Mhz MDD
1 G RAM

#7 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:50 PM

macgallant, on July 5th 2005, 04:31 PM, said:

IceWind Dale is not working properly in Tiger, and yeah I did a clean install of Tiger and reinstalled IceWind Dale twice already.

After a short while when playing the game, the characters stop responding to my commands like where to move and who to attack.

View Post

That same thing happens in Baldur's Gate 2 ToB. After a while the pathfinding gets all screwed up, and you cant get any characters to do anything.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#8 macgallant

macgallant

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

OSGoodShepard & Dark Archon, I feel your pain. I doubt MacPlay will patch either IceWind Dale or Baldur's Gate 2 for Mac OSX Tiger since they don't have an internal programming team like MacSoft or Aspyr. The company who ported games for MacPlay (Omni Group) no longer does game porting but instead focusing their efforts on their own apps like Omni Web.

#9 Squozen

Squozen

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

I have the same probs.  Fortunately I have all the games on Windows as well, but I won't be buying another MacPlay title.

#10 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

MacPlay is having a $4.88 sale. Are all those games broken in Tiger. I hope not, Fallout 2 is on the list!
...Quickly searches through piles of cds all over the place for Fallout 2...

#11 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:32 AM

Update: Icewind Dale continues to work under classic except that the first time I start the game it often does not switch screen resolutions correctly. A quit and second attempt always works however.

I have tried the Icewind Dale 1.0.1 update but have no idea if the update was actually applied the the app. I get a windowed message that states that no update is needed. However there is no indication anywhere that I am running version 1.0.1. Not in the game itself, not in the info box, and the creation date remains the same as before.

#12 Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

Oh, bummer. I just took advantage of one of those $4.88 priced Icewind Dales through MacPlay and I'm also waiting for my new iMac to arrive. How can I play it through Classic if it's an OS X install? And does anyone know if 9.2.2/Classic comes preinstalled on new iMacs?

#13 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:27 PM

Metropolis Man, on July 30th 2005, 10:04 PM, said:

Oh, bummer. I just took advantage of one of those $4.88 priced Icewind Dales through MacPlay and I'm also waiting for my new iMac to arrive. How can I play it through Classic if it's an OS X install? And does anyone know if 9.2.2/Classic comes preinstalled on new iMacs?

View Post

It comes on a separate disc, which is good, because to install OS 9 using the OS 9 disc you either need classic or you need to use the cd as your startup disc. Icewind Dale was still definitely worth the $4.88.

#14 UncleWolf

UncleWolf

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

Dark Archon, both Fallout and Fallout 2 break for me under Tiger - they fail to launch, and the console.log shows a bogus runtime error about not enough disk space (when I have plenty).

I'm not willing to put a bunch of junk on my startup drive just to see if it is because the game can't understand very large empty space numbers.

John

#15 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Dark_Archon, on July 30th 2005, 10:27 PM, said:

It comes on a separate disc, which is good, because to install OS 9 using the OS 9 disc you either need classic or you need to use the cd as your startup disc. Icewind Dale was still definitely worth the $4.88.

View Post

You can "install" MOS9 by finding an invisible folder on the disc called .images (the period at the start of the name makes it invisible) and mounting the OS9general.img image file there. Just drag over the stuff you need, System Folder etc. You don't have to dump everything it has on it.

#16 OsgoodShepard

OsgoodShepard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

I've given up on Icewind Dale under Tiger or Classic. It crashes every time. Re-installing does not help. So its clean the HD of Icewind Dale files and return to NWN which always works.
BTW, I have had similar crash problems with Baldur's gate: SoA. I have given up on that app as well.

#17 UncleWolf

UncleWolf

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

I solved my problem with Fallout - it wasn't making the Application Support folder for the game correctly.  I was able to copy this folder from a working good install on a computer with 10.3, and then edit the fallout.cfg fiile to correct the paths for several items.

I wonder if that will solve the problems the rest of you are having with the other games (I don't have them myself, so I can't test it)?  Of course, if you don't have access to another computer with 10.3, it doesn't help you much.

John

#18 jdien

jdien

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:25 AM

I ran into the pathfinding freezing problem with BG II under Tiger as well.  Fortunately, I was able to work out a fix.  What I do is save the game and then fire up the Classic version of BG II.  Save there and then go back to OS X.  Everything works again, like magic!  :)

Maybe this can work with Icewind Dale too?  I haven't tried it yet.  I don't know if it has an OS X version.

#19 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

Anyone have the 1.0.1 update saved? I need it! The macgamefiles.com website its link is broken.
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)

#20 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostTogglemeister, on 29 April 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

Anyone have the 1.0.1 update saved? I need it! The macgamefiles.com website its link is broken.

I'm amused to see a 14 year-old thread getting the dust blown off it. As IMG's resident IWD fanatic (right guys?), who also has a collection of antique Macs, I had a look and I don't have it. Sorry.

Have you considered getting the IWD: Enhanced Edition?
You must gather your party before venturing forth.