DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:11 AM

I figured I might as well start a thread for this unless it's already been done before. Oops... didn't think to search first. Oh, well.

Anyway, the Origin client now indicates "Coming Soon" for: "Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault" which received an 80 Metacritic score in its day. I seem to recall this coming out not long after MoHAA's last expansion and being pretty fun.

So, good freebie for you Windows classic FPS gaming fans. I plan to pick it up. I loved MoHAA myself and actually finished that one, Sniper Town and all.

I'll try to remember to post about these freebies here as they release unless I missed some other thread already doing this.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

You done gots a link?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 March 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

You done gots a link?

No, you lazy kitty. I saw it in the Origin client. I'm sure Google will turn it up for those lacking said client though. I would Google for it now but I am lazy too!

Grumble, grumble... I was just overcome with guilt feelings...

Here's their store page for the game currently selling for 10 bucks. Pull down the Free Games menu at the top and choose "On the House" to see the announcement this game is "Coming Soon" for free.

https://www.origin.c...tandard-edition

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

Thanks!  Still though according to what I read on the website, I'm going to need an Origin membership but I'm too cheap to pay 5 bucks a month for a Steam style game library to play from.  5 bucks?  Everybody else is free so what's up with that?

Also I seem to recall reading posts complaining about the invasiveness of Origin to ones computer system.  Or am I confusing that with some other service?

And I'm not lazy, I just wouldn't enjoy googling Origin and according to your maxim, that means that I would be wasting time.  And my pappy taught me never to waste time.  Then he taught me how to kill a rat by biting its neck and that's the last I ever saw of him.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Battle Cat, Origin is a free client, similar to Steam but with much less games (only those from EA I think). The $5 a month is to subscribe to some games and entirely optional, usually you buy like with Steam.

Their On the House program has been running for two years now. Here's a list of all freebies (I snatched them all! Even the region locked ones. :) ).

#6 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 March 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

5 bucks?  Everybody else is free so what's up with that?

Oh, ye kitty of little faith. Would I send you off for a free game to a place charging 5 bucks before you could get it? Of course not!

People probably did make a big deal once upon a time about them checking system stats or something benign like that. I think there is something in options to opt out of that if desired. I just let them as it helps them to know what hardware they need to target, etc. with their games. That's all they want that info for.

Origin is actually a lighter weight client than Steam with less features which is fine. It starts rapidly and works fine. I don't use it much but I've never had any issue with it at all.

They are trying to sell some lame (imo) subscription thing that offers limited access to their catalog of games with some of the best stuff excluded of course. I noticed they are doing this on XBox too apparently although I didn't even bother to check into the details there. I'm not paying a sub to access games on demand until it is like Apple Music and I can access the entire Steam library. My guess is, I'll be pushing daisies before that ever comes to pass.

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 21 March 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

Battle Cat, Origin is a free client, similar to Steam but with much less games (only those from EA I think). The $5 a month is to subscribe to some games and entirely optional, usually you buy like with Steam.

Their On the House program has been running for two years now. Here's a list of all freebies (I snatched them all! Even the region locked ones. :) ).

Thanks!

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 March 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

Oh, ye kitty of little faith. Would I send you off for a free game to a place charging 5 bucks before you could get it? Of course not!

People probably did make a big deal once upon a time about them checking system stats or something benign like that. I think there is something in options to opt out of that if desired. I just let them as it helps them to know what hardware they need to target, etc. with their games. That's all they want that info for.

Origin is actually a lighter weight client than Steam with less features which is fine. It starts rapidly and works fine. I don't use it much but I've never had any issue with it at all.

They are trying to sell some lame (imo) subscription thing that offers limited access to their catalog of games with some of the best stuff excluded of course. I noticed they are doing this on XBox too apparently although I didn't even bother to check into the details there. I'm not paying a sub to access games on demand until it is like Apple Music and I can access the entire Steam library. My guess is, I'll be pushing daisies before that ever comes to pass.

Great, thanks.  I'll install Origin on my Wind-ooze SSHD tonight.

I never played Pacific Assault.  I was very disappointed that it was never ported to the Mac.  At the time I sort of got tired of killing Germans all the time, and I wanted to kill the Japanese for awhile.  But noooooOOOooooOOOOooOOOOooooo, it wasn't ported.  I was kind of hoping I'd kill Janichsan's father to finally rid the forum of the indestructible Jugger Bugger but now it looks like I have a crack at icing Tomato Cow's honorable father-san just to see the look on Space Pirate Killer's face when his years of post counting on Tomato Cows's comments evaporate into nothing.

My dad served on the USS Enterprise all through WWII, whose missions in the Pacific were to protect the Marine landings.  Hopefully come nighttime on Guadalcanal or the Philippines I can see his sister ships pounding the Japanese navy into bottom biscuits.  With gravy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

OK, got Origin installed and am sitting here on my tippy cheeks waiting for a download button.  Those bums want to charge me 10 bucks to download it now.  Sorry EA, free games only.

Damn, I'm becoming like you sorry lot... not enough time in a life to play all my games.  I demand extraordinary measures to keep me on life support long enough to finish them all.  Then let the Jerry rotters kill me.

Thanks for the heads up DirtyHarry.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 March 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

I was kind of hoping I'd kill Janichsan's father to finally rid the forum of the indestructible Jugger Bugger but now it looks like I have a crack at icing Tomato Cow's honorable father-san just to see the look on Space Pirate Killer's face when his years of post counting on Tomato Cows's comments evaporate into nothing.

Per post nostalgia maximum exceeded.

the Battle Cat, you are fined 1 credit for violation of the nostalgic parameter statute.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#10 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:28 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 March 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

OK, got Origin installed and am sitting here on my tippy cheeks waiting for a download button.  Those bums want to charge me 10 bucks to download it now.  Sorry EA, free games only.

Damn, I'm becoming like you sorry lot... not enough time in a life to play all my games.  I demand extraordinary measures to keep me on life support long enough to finish them all.  Then let the Jerry rotters kill me.

Thanks for the heads up DirtyHarry.

My pleasure. I don't recall them doing a teaser announcement of a freebie before. They would just show up randomly so I check now and then. It could be they have though and I just happened to miss them. In any event, I don't think they'll keep you waiting too long for the free goodness.

#11 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8008 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 21 March 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

I was kind of hoping I'd kill Janichsan's father to finally rid the forum of the indestructible Jugger Bugger …
:blink:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 22 March 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

:blink:

Don't you give me that look young man.  There is a price to pay for your forum shenanigans.  I'll let Frost lay out your crimes for you:

View PostFrost, on 08 April 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Turns out Janichsan had been faking us out the entire time and he was actually a 19 year-old Australian with a planet-sized ego. What's more, he had changed his name to "Jugger Bugger" and filled every single topic with a million junk replies, started about 10 topics of pictures of himself in swim trunks, and using some weird editor turned the first post of every topic into something having his personal reply to it within the OP, and then covered in a billion >'s all over it like a 1990s e-mail program that didn't know how to do multi-level quotes.

::puts another credit into the nostalgic parameter statute cookie jar::  Good thing that's not a fracking swear word cookie jar.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

And...

It's available to download RIGHT NOW for FREE!!!

Enjoy!

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

I already got it and came back here to tell you.  Hopefully I can get started on it today.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 March 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

I already got it and came back here to tell you.  Hopefully I can get started on it today.

Good deal. I hope you enjoy it. Should be a good time. There's so many older games I missed over the years that I'd still like to fit in somehow and this is yet another one I'm glad I got to pick up in digital form for free no less.

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

This is very similar to the old games where you start out in bootcamp with a drill instructor teaching you your action keys.  In another way it is what I call a rail shooter.  Rather than free to wonder the map as one sees fit, you are locked into doing one task after another while people yell at you to hurry and micromanage you, in order to progress in the game.  That is more fitting one of their modern shooters and reminds me of Black Ops.  The start of the game almost warrants this gameplay as you are in Pearl Harbor to celebrate the first Pearl Harbor Day.  So I'm cutting them a break on the beginning.

Hopefully it will smooth out into a more relaxed "approach as you will" game like the earlier Call of Duty games.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17263 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

It did smooth out.  It's quite a nice shooter.  They will know me back on Honshu by the name "BJ Blaskowiczsan"  the clazy Amelican ferine.

Anyway, I encountered an odd bug in the program.  Seemingly at random my tab key (jump/stand) becomes unmapped.  I'll know it happened when I try to stand up or jump and nothing happens.  Is this happening to anyone else?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

A new freebie is available via the Origin client...

Mass Effect 2

This seems to come with all the DLC too I noticed when installing it.

#19 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:10 AM

Nope, not all DLCs but a bunch of them. Adding all other DLCs would cost 3600 BioWare points, which I believe is equivalent to $40. That's what I dislike on Origin: the DLCs are never on sale and you can only buy them from Origin directly... (unless someone knows how to get them cheaper, in which case I'd be glad for the tip!) And they don't make GOTY editions either.

Rats, I missed Dungeon Keeper which was the previous game on the house...

#20 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 07 January 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

Nope, not all DLCs but a bunch of them. Adding all other DLCs would cost 3600 BioWare points, which I believe is equivalent to $40. That's what I dislike on Origin: the DLCs are never on sale and you can only buy them from Origin directly... (unless someone knows how to get them cheaper, in which case I'd be glad for the tip!) And they don't make GOTY editions either.

Rats, I missed Dungeon Keeper which was the previous game on the house...

Well, on a bright note if you wish list Dungeon Keeper on GOG you can get it for a song in a future sale I'm sure. It's cheap to begin with although it should be at this point.

That's too bad about the DLC. Thanks for pointing that out. I mistakenly assumed when I saw 10 downloads I think it was that this was all of it. It's crazy how much DLC they released for the game then. I suppose ME3 is as bad or worse. Didn't ME3 have DLC that was essential to the story to make matters worse? I seem to recall that being the case.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think they do ultimately release at least in some cases, complete GoTY editions of various titles but maybe they don't do this universally. As far as I know, Dragon Age Inquisition can be bought complete with all DLC now.