• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

Felix Rieseberg has developed an Electron app that virtualises a Mac Quadra running Mac OS 8 (which was one of my favourite versions of the classic OS). It comes with a bunch of stuff installed, and apparently disk images can be dragged onto it. Enjoy, if you like that sort of thing.

Posted Image
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:37 AM

Haha:

Should this have been a native app?

Absolutely

#3 nick68k

nick68k

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

i'm getting a few mouse pointer ghosting issues, but it's working well otherwise so far.
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

#4 Tacohead

Tacohead

Extra Cheesy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

Anybody gotten anything to run from The Macintosh Garden or Macintosh Software Repository? Following the built-in instructors hasn’t worked with anything for me. Tried both dmg and iso.
27" iMac I7 (late 2017), 3.8 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, Mac OS 10.15.4,
iPad Pro (2018) 12.9” 256GB WiFi, & iPhone XR 128GB

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

View PostTacohead, on 29 July 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

Anybody gotten anything to run from The Macintosh Garden or Macintosh Software Repository? Following the built-in instructors hasn’t worked with anything for me. Tried both dmg and iso.

Nope. I put a Ferazel's Wand demo Classic app and .img file in my macintosh.js folder. They don't appear in the macintosh.js folder from within the VM after restarting. Also, the VM claims (when I restart it) that it can't read the disc and asks me to initialize. Strange.

I did complete a full Oregon Trail game (the version preinstalled) and it worked fine.

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

50 carat

• IMG Writers
  • 2993 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:39 PM

Note that when the instructions tell you to restart to see new files, it means to restart the emulator, NOT use the Finder's Restart menu.

Just for fun I tried out the two shareware games I released in the early 90's. I got one Type 10 crash, and many of the sounds play about 0.5 seconds too late. But they did basically run. It's not good enough to replace SheepShaver but it is a lot easier to set up. A nice start, hope they keep working on it (assuming Apple doesn't tell them to take it down.)

Looking in the source code, it appears to be a Javascript port of the Basilisk II 68K emulator.
www.mindthecube.com

Current setup: macOS 10.14.x/2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/Sonnet Breakaway 650 eGPU w Sapphire Radeon VEGA 56 8GB

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17622 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

View PostCougar, on 29 July 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Haha:

Should this have been a native app?

Absolutely

I edited your post and deleted the quote tags intending to put them back in if the edit worked, but then that made your link disappear :cool: So anyway you can edit your post now and add the link back in and any other changes you had in mind.  The tags were OK but there must have been some confusion in link.  That's my guess anyway.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 July 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

I edited your post and deleted the quote tags intending to put them back in if the edit worked, but then that made your link disappear :cool: So anyway you can edit your post now and add the link back in and any other changes you had in mind.  The tags were OK but there must have been some confusion in link.  That's my guess anyway.

The edit button is no longer there.  [edit goes here]

Edited by the Battle Cat, 31 July 2020 - 10:33 AM.
testing IPB function

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17622 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:31 AM

View PostCougar, on 30 July 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

The edit button is no longer there.

Is your browser a russet or a new red?  Seriously though, I don't know what to tell you.  Perhaps you need to refresh your buffers or cookies?  In any case I can add the link to it because I still see the edit button, so give me the link.  Meanwhile let's do some science.  I am going to edit your last post with "[edit goes here]".  If you are unable to edit your post afterwards then it is a feature and something I need to keep in mind before helping to fix another post.  Afterwards I'll clean up this thread by deleting our help desk conversation.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Fighting Feline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 31 July 2020 - 10:31 AM, said:

Is your browser a russet or a new red?  Seriously though, I don't know what to tell you.  Perhaps you need to refresh your buffers or cookies?  In any case I can add the link to it because I still see the edit button, so give me the link.  Meanwhile let's do some science.  I am going to edit your last post with "[edit goes here]".  If you are unable to edit your post afterwards then it is a feature and something I need to keep in mind before helping to fix another post.  Afterwards I'll clean up this thread by deleting our help desk conversation.

The edit function has always only been available for a certain period after creating a post. Not sure what the cutoff is, but it's still there for post #8. I imagine it's a feature you can turn off in the forum software.

This is the link: Link to repo.