Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 21 October 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

You are working in a Unix environment which is critical for many programmers. You have access to Mac specific applications and optimization (Final Cut Pro probably being the greatest of which - a 15" rMBP outperforms top of line Windows desktops running Premier Pro in rendering performance).

True, Final Cut Pro is supposed to be a terrific product, but for a niche market (the video editing vertical market). It's irrelevant to 99.9% of the workforce. FCP is well known by Mac users because they've always been a pioneer on this market, but the vast majority of vertical markets are Windows only, or best with Windows. One I know well: Wi-Fi site surveys. Two good products exist: AirMagnet Survey and Ekahau Site Survey. Only Ekahau has a Mac version released only one month ago, still in beta and lacking half the functionality of its Windows older brother (and the Mac version won't get them any time soon because of OS X limitations). Or the CAD market: yes there's a Mac version of AutoCAD for instance, but I've yet to meet anyone using it. 3D production: lacking OpenGL performance and limited hardware doom the Mac here. Etc. So video production is more the exception than the norm as far as vertical markets are concerned!

You have the ability to run Windows (or any other OS) either natively or in a VM through multiple options that are fully supported and patched by Apple. That is why I believe macOS is more productive. It gives you the ability to do more then Windows does.

Well, if Unix is important, one could also virtualize some Linux variant under Windows. ;) (Or even virtualize OS X, although that's unsupported so not necessarily a smart move for work.)

Now I'm playing the devil's advocate. I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't have a Mac and like OS X, or rather used to like because I'm not convinced by the way Apple makes evolve their non mobile OS and hardware, and I'll have fully switched to a PC before the Mac has definititely become the Apple II of the modern era. But I don't think productivity is the main driver behind a switch to Mac: ease of use was probably it (which indirectly helps with productivity, granted). I use a past tense because Windows has come a long way since version 3.1, and overall I find Win 10 and macOS to be equally easy (or difficult) to use.

#42 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3263 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 22 October 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

Well, if Unix is important, one could also virtualize some Linux variant under Windows. ;) (Or even virtualize OS X, although that's unsupported so not necessarily a smart move for work.)

Several of my friends are software engineers. Initially, they all were running Ubuntu or Mint dual boot on their PC laptops. They all ended up buying Macs. To quote one of them: "I wanted a Unix OS that didn't suck".

He didn't actually think Mint sucked, but he just got tired of no major applications being supported in Linux for applications outside of work.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || RX 480 8GB (mining) || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: 28" 4K FreeSync Monitor || PS4 Pro || QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || iPhone 6S 64GB

#43 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2422 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

"According to data released by IBM (and reported by Recode's Ina Fried), the company saves between $273 and $543 when an employee opts for a Mac over a PC, over a four-year period."

http://www.zdnet.com...pcs-claims-ibm/

Not a new sentiment of course, but this is recent.

My workplace wouldn't make this claim, I think. We don't have enough employees to justify a special deployment/management program for the Macs. So if you get a Mac, you are on your own to some extent (though the IT guy just got one for himself too.) It's not clear that Macs save us money, what with buying unbundled copies of Office and Thunderbolt adapters. But it makes the Mac-heads happy and increases the diversity of hardware and software in the firm.

And the machines do last. Employees are eligible for new laptops every two years, and those of us using Macs typically don't bother until 4 years or more have passed, even though the migration from one Mac to another is very simple compared to a Windows migration.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#44 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

****, the new MBP has the popsnizzle butterfly keyboard. WTF is Apple thinking lately??

#45 Camper-Hunter

Camper-Hunter

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Steam Name:Rorqual
  • Steam ID:Rorqual

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

Cougar, they think Mac users are as obsessed with thinness as Apple's top management. I wish Apple (and others) would use the same laptop keyboard than Lenovo, which are really good (for a laptop: their only crime is to have the Fn key at the lower left, where that should be Ctrl).

#46 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:27 AM

Honestly, imreally like the low-profile mechanicals Razer used formtheir iPad Pro keyboard case.

#47 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6042 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:41 AM

View PostCamper-Hunter, on 26 October 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

Cougar, they think Mac users are as obsessed with thinness as Apple's top management. I wish Apple (and others) would use the same laptop keyboard than Lenovo, which are really good (for a laptop: their only crime is to have the Fn key at the lower left, where that should be Ctrl).
I'd be happiest if Apple went back to the key design they had from the PowerBook G3s through the non-unibody MacBook Pros. Those keys were satisfying on a tactile level, easy to find, easy to type rapidly on, and had the perfect amount of give for a key that was supposed to be on a thin device, and yet good as an input device.

Not the biggest fan of the chiclet keys on unibody MBPs, but at least those are decent. These new keys though... I'm sorry, they SUCK. As in, to the degree I don't even want to use the device they're on.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#48 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

I thought the chiclet keys were a big improvement. Before that the keyboard felt way too mushy, because the keyboard was how you opened up the computer and it just felt flimsy.

I'm just hoping that it's the butterfly keyboard but with more travel. I could live with that. If it's not, IDK what I'll do. Use my MBP til it dies and hope Apple comes to its senses?

#49 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

Well, Crisis Averted: it's a 2nd-gen butterfly with more travel. Thank goodness.

#50 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8030 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostCougar, on 27 October 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Well, Crisis Averted: it's a 2nd-gen butterfly with more travel. Thank goodness.
I abstain from judging until I laid my hands on one. They haven't specified how much more travel the keys have. It still could feel horrible.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#51 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3263 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

If it has more travel then the unibody MacBook (it would only need a more more mm) then I think it will be fine.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: i5 6600K @ 4.6 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || RX 480 8GB (mining) || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 850 Evo M.2 Sata, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Accessories: 28" 4K FreeSync Monitor || PS4 Pro || QNAP TS-228 NAS (2x 6 TB Seagte IronWolf) || iPhone 6S 64GB

#52 ipickert55

ipickert55

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Steam Name:Das Auto
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

So I guess apple just forgot about iMacs and Mac Pros?
Knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation.

Ra - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

#53 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

View Postipickert55, on 29 October 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

So I guess apple just forgot about iMacs and Mac Pros?

In the case of Mac Pros, it was an awkward time to release them in Intel's schedule. If they aren't out by WWDC, then yes.

Likewise with the 5K iMac, but the 4K is still on Broadwell...

#54 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3263 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

The iMac will almost certainly see an update in next few months to Kaby Lake and Polaris (I'm REALLY hoping that Apple is going to ship the next 5K iMac with AMD's vega chips (490 and up) but I doubt they will). I just hope that Micosoft's Surface Studio didn't cause Apple to think "Hmm, we should re-design the iMac and postpone speed bump updates until then". The Surface Studio outdoes the iMac in nearly every way, so I really hope it kicks Apple's ass into gear.

The Mac Pro... well I think they would be stupid not to update it, but it has been 3 years now. I am beginning to fear the worst.

#55 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

I don't have any interest in portables myself aside of my iPad Pro which I like very much. So this past event was only interesting to me in that there was no Mac desktops refresh at all and I don't think they even mentioned them but then I didn't watch it and won't bother to now. I hope people who like portables like them but it sounds like many are disappointed at increased pricing for underwhelming specs and yet another iteration of form over function from Apple.

I'm still interested in seeing whatever a next Mac desktop refresh will bring to the table but they'd have deliver something nice that was reasonably priced for my personal use case and I doubt that's going to happen. So, while I love Apple stuff in general I guess I've become the kind of customer Tim Cook wants me to be with my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV and I can go buy a desktop computer from somebody else if I want one, you know, sort of like if I wanted a stand alone display.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell