macdude22's Content

There have been 154 items by macdude22 (Search limited from 23-November 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#447305 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ – Announcement trailer

Posted by macdude22 on Yesterday, 11:18 AM in Mac Action & Shooters

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 21 November 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

When you grow up some more, you might try picking up your phone and calling for the information you want rather than whining on a forum about how whining on a forum didn't work out for you along with the other ineffective ways you approached your trivial problem.

You do realize that basically you've been tantruming about a game, a toy if you will, right?

Pick up the phone and call someone. Are you from the past? *ring ring* Yes gov'na, I'd like to place a party line call to jan #7 down the road.

#447292 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by macdude22 on 20 November 2017 - 06:43 PM in General

Also I gotta give one up for MS, the Better Together update for Minecraft is �� I can play with my kids on my iPad while they play on the Xbox (and soon switch!)

#447283 Answer questions for the Feral newsletter!

Posted by macdude22 on 20 November 2017 - 08:57 AM in General

I've been a Mac/Console man since the beginning of time. I did have a brief foray into the Windows world but every minute spent dealing crashing games and out of date drivers is a minute i'm not gaming so I went back to Mac/Console. I generally prefer most games with a controller anyway, outside of strategy games.

#447258 Disgaea 2 PC / 魔界戦記ディス...

Posted by macdude22 on 17 November 2017 - 10:24 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

It's been out for a while (MGS has it).  Disgaea 2 is a good grind, could stand to be 20% less loli but a good grind non the less.

#447235 Virtual Programming's Upcoming Projects

Posted by macdude22 on 15 November 2017 - 02:55 PM in General

They have some in-house wrapper that seems appreciably worse than wine and cider. I have seen VPltd do good work but not for many years. The Kult port worked great at the time. Spec Ops: The Line ran fine. But mostly I get a sour taste when I see VP.

Dead Island I'll kind of give a pass because the windows version is a barely functional mess, wrap it up for macOS. What could go wrong.

#447151 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by macdude22 on 09 November 2017 - 11:50 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 09 November 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Why I oughta...

I thought they just replaced all your parts with carbon fiber pencils so you're good as new.

#447141 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by macdude22 on 09 November 2017 - 07:52 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 09 November 2017 - 04:27 AM, said:

My major problem in most of the later expansions has not been that I have to play certain areas in order, but that going to level 60 goes so fast. You don't get to experience all the content, simply because the hand holding ensures you almost hit a new level each time you just spot an enemy. Classic WOW was much better, but then again, I liked all the exploring.

http://www.insidemac...26 I feel like we are on the same wavelength, netmacbroinarms.

Ya, i always played to explore and find all the nooks and crannies. I mostly never raided or anything that require a commitment. I'm an old RPG man and Warcraft fan. PreWOTLK you really could explore and find new things, post it was rails rails rails GIANT ARROW GO HERE. I get that's the theme park RPG world we live in now but I'M OLD DAMN IT. WoW classic and BfA have me almost interested again, but I just can't see myself finding the time.

#447117 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by macdude22 on 07 November 2017 - 12:42 PM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

View Postnick68k, on 07 November 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

Incidentally, I should add that there are major levelling changes coming to current WoW (Legion) in the upcoming 7.3.5 patch.

Questing and mobs will scale with your level now; you can play 10-60 content in any order you wish. The Burning Crusade and Lich King expansions are similarly level-scaled for 60-80, so you can entirely skip Outland. Similarly Cataclysm and Pandaria for 80-90. Warlords is unchanged (and Legion already scales).

IF the scaling works anything like ESO sounds great. In ESO I just play with people and I don't have to worry about levels at all. Whatever Zenimax does just automagically works.

#447068 Blizzard announced bringing World of Warcraft Classic at Blizzcon

Posted by macdude22 on 04 November 2017 - 07:46 AM in Mac Adventure, RPG & MMOs

I used to play wow, but I really played it more as a solo experience to soak up the lore. WoW got really on rails in later years (convenient as you say). Between the loss of exploration and adult life (WoW released when I was in college and we were years from dropping PPC :mellow:) I haven't played it in years.

I feel like I might go back and play classic a little bit to get that nostalgic feeling of exploration but 110% agree that as far as MMO mechanics go the idea of standing around yelling to find a PUG for Molten Core makes me nauseous.

#447042 GeForce NOW for Mac expands free beta to Europe

Posted by macdude22 on 02 November 2017 - 08:24 AM in Windows Gaming

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 November 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

Very interesting. Will it only display/launch games on the supported list, or can you fire up anything from Steam/Blizzard and cross your fingers?

You can open and install anything in steam but they are "deleted" when you quit Geforce Now. If the game does not support steam cloud the saves will be lost (i.e. only supported games remain installed with saves retained in the Geforce Cloud).

I have played Saints Row 3 (an unsupported game) fine via this method.

#446945 Help Bring Back Steve Ballmer as CEO of Microsoft!

Posted by macdude22 on 24 October 2017 - 08:20 PM in Off-Topic

I sent this to all the winadmins at work and they didn't think Balmer should come back. I was so distraught I had to go meditate with the book of zune for an hour.

#446940 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 24 October 2017 - 01:50 PM in General

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 24 October 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Mac Dead Island might fare better, I was playing the PC version.

You would think it might be better until you see it was ported by virtual programming. Then you would drink yourself to sleep.

#446917 What games are people playing these days!?

Posted by macdude22 on 23 October 2017 - 10:33 AM in General

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 October 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

The original I believe.

Ya, i'm not paying the definitive version and by casual search it added 4k textures and didn't fix any of the bugs.

#446891 Apple Photos App Confusion

Posted by macdude22 on 19 October 2017 - 03:31 PM in Off-Topic

Ya are you using OneDrive iOS app to upload your photos to OneDrive or do you want to enable iCloud Photo Library (which is not the same as Photostream)? iCloud library will sync the Photos library on any mac/ios device that has iCloud library enabled. Basically you get a new library, the iCloud Photo Library. You can then copy/merge additional items/libraries into that library. If going the iCloud route I would suggest turning off iCloud library on all devices, then enabling it first on the primary device (your phone?), getting the library configured to your specifications, then enabling it on additional devices.

I don't know anything about how the OneDrive iOS app determines what to automatically upload in the background when you enable this in the app (I don't use OneDrive). It sounds like OneDrive doesn't just scoop up your photos when this is enabled but sends them up as you take them. I would imagine there is some ability to tell it to send the rest, but I have never used the app.

I would not recommend turning off iCloud iOS backups unless you are using iTunes to backup the device. You will lose any app settings, saves, etc.... in the event of a device failure. The backups themselves only backup custom data (ergo apps are not included in the backup because they get re-downloaded from Apple during restore)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9733.jpeg

#446844 Feral stop selling boxed games

Posted by macdude22 on 13 October 2017 - 01:01 PM in General

The only mac game I've seen on a shelf in years is The Sims 4.

Actually if I think long and hard about the only PC games I see on actual shelves anymore is The Sims 4.

#446842 Feral stop selling boxed games

Posted by macdude22 on 13 October 2017 - 11:01 AM in General

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#446839 10.6 Snow Leopard Download

Posted by macdude22 on 13 October 2017 - 10:01 AM in Mac OS Related

You'll need a Dual Layer DVD, that's the hard part.

#446778 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by macdude22 on 10 October 2017 - 09:37 AM in General

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 10 October 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

Actually, now that I've been thinking about this for awhile it wasn't Steve Ballmer, it was the guy who had the Wilford Brimley avatar.  Sorry for the confusion.

Posted Image

#446763 macOS 10.13 - High Sierra

Posted by macdude22 on 08 October 2017 - 03:57 PM in Mac OS Related

View PostTetsuya, on 08 October 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Got a link to a good list?  

And, if i dont need to worry about bootcamp (i dont; i just use a VM for Windows-on-Mac), is there any reason to worry about APFS?

I have my list of bugs logged from work, will that help. :teehee:

• AD mobile accounts are not able to change their passwords from the Mac

• When upgrading a client to 10.13 that is AD bound the mobile account cache credentials get lost during the update. If a user does not have local credentials a user cannot login until returning on site to a network that can communicate with a domain controller

• IRKs don’t work on APFS formatted volumes

• There are a number of senarios we have tested where a user does not get secureToken enablement and the user will be unable to be set as a FileVault unlock user until it receives a secureToken grant. This affects all mobile accounts and users created through automated processes (e.g. createmobileaccount and sysadminctl). Affected users can be secureToken enabled manually, but this is not feasible for hundreds of endpoints.

• On APFS formatted volumes  if the PRK is used to unlock a mac the reset password prompt after unlock does NOT enable the new password to unlock the volume.

• SKEL was going to be a prickly point but MDM enrolled clients are walked back to 10.12 behavior while Apple adds additional MDM functionality. https://support.appl.../en-us/HT208019

High Sierra has SMB fixes that resolve 2 issues I wrote about here https://macdude22.wo...8/tales-of-smb/

Performance seems appreciably worse on non Metal capable hardware (like my 2011 Mini w/HD3000).

#446747 Best Mac Computers for Gaming 2015

Posted by macdude22 on 06 October 2017 - 03:10 PM in IMG Reviews Discussion

I tried the whole Wandows thing for a few years. I have too many things to do and not enough time to do it. My life is too short to waste it on dicking with nvidia driver conflicts. If a game is on macOS or iOS great, otherwise there's plenty of great games on Xbox and Switch.

#446742 Best Mac Computers for Gaming 2015

Posted by macdude22 on 06 October 2017 - 07:24 AM in IMG Reviews Discussion

Given the firmware checks in place in High Sierra, I'm fully expecting the boot chain to get secured requiring everything in the chain to be signed by Apple at some point in the future. This "sucks" for the power users that want to fiddle, but from a security standpoint I'm behind it. All the low hanging fruit vulnerabilities have been solved.

My prediction, Hackintoshes won't be able to run 10.15.

The future is going to be, there's other platforms for you to do "low level fiddling". That's fine, I've got my basement lab of old macs and linux boxes and raspberry pi's. My stuff that touches the internet in 2017 can be locked to the hilt.

#446716 Is there really a such thing as a Mac game?

Posted by macdude22 on 04 October 2017 - 06:52 AM in General

Jeff Vogel develops his games on Mac and ports them to Windows. Check and mate.

#446653 Apple CPUs to Replace Intel in Macs?

Posted by macdude22 on 29 September 2017 - 01:59 PM in Mac Hardware

View PostDirtyHarry50, on 29 September 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

Saw this today:
My own gut feeling and that's all it is naturally, is that bootcamp's days are numbered but the number is still a large one most likely.

Ignoring a potential chip platform change, bootcamp's days are numbered because for last several iterations of macOS Apple has made continuous efforts to increase the soup to nuts integrity of the boot process. The boot chain of trust is going to look very much like iOS as soon as Apple feels they can get away with casting off older hardware that doesn't have the necessary components (the components in the touchBar MBP are a first step to this future).

The old 90s power user grognard in me is sad (dem 8500/9500 glory years) but the pragmatist that exists in a world of complex vulnerabilities and attack vectors is 110% ok with it.

#446636 64-bit apocalypse

Posted by macdude22 on 27 September 2017 - 10:00 AM in Mac OS Related

View PostSneaky Snake, on 27 September 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

Right you are. All of the Office apps on my High Sierra MBP are 64 bit. I think I was thinking about the single-threaded performance.

I gotta back up the APEX folks when I can :teehee: The APEX team at MS are good people. I'm not just saying that cuz Paul brought me delicious ale from washington >_>

The single thread issue is well known and understood and the code base migration for major version 16 is expected to be a welcome step in getting that that resolved. As well as faster development with increased feature parity.

#446634 64-bit apocalypse

Posted by macdude22 on 27 September 2017 - 07:28 AM in Mac OS Related

View PostSneaky Snake, on 26 September 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

What I find a kind of (sadly) hilarious is the fact that Microsoft Office is now a 64-bit application suite on iOS (it is surprisingly capable on the iPad Pro), while Office for Mac is still stuck on 32 bit.

This is false, O2016 has been 64-bit for a year on macOS. Even then the lag was primarily in regard to supporting add-ins (I'm looking at you Thomson Reuters).

However the apps are still single threaded so Excel is not as fast with complex calculations. Multi-threaded support is on the roadmap. There is an effort to align the Win/Mac feature set more closely and there will be significant engineering effort on that after the migration from major version 15 to 16 in the next few months.

Attached Thumbnails

• 64bits.jpg